Sprocket Ratios and New Chain

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in need of a new chain at 26,000 miles.:spank:
Thinking of going up to 17 on CS and 45 on rear.
16X46 is 2.88,,Stock
17X46 is 2.71.
17X45 is 2.65.
17X44 is 2.59
I don't know the math but what would the 17X45 do to my speedometer reading? :confused:
Do you think the 1 off the rear is to much? Would it hurt the performance bad?
I'm not a drag racer but I do enjoy showing Corvette,Mustang and Hemi drivers what the back end of my bike looks like. ;)
But,,I'm tired of looking for 7th gear. :rockon:
Pretty darn flat here in northern Indiana,southwestern Michigan.

Rich :cool:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently, +1 in the front fixes stock inaccuracy and gives you a pretty much exact speedo.
I would imagine that removing 1 in the rear would add inaccuracy, but probably negligible since 1 in the front is more or less equivalent to 3 in the back.

As far as performance, i personally wouldn't even consider doing that, but then i have -1 in the front and will be going +2 in the back soon. I love the high rev character of the bike.

If the speedo error worries you, have a look at a speedo healer, it allows you to fine tune your speedo accuracy and is pretty cheap.

Have a look at this website, it's pretty good:

Gearing Commander

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Great Website Carlos! :thumbup:
Lots of food for thought.
I'm not worried about speedo.
Just want to drop some revs,:rockon:
Without losing to much performance.:confused:
My left boot has a deep dimple from trying to get it in 7th gear!
Thank you Sir!!
Rich

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Great Website Carlos! :thumbup:
Lots of food for thought.
I'm not worried about speedo.
Just want to drop some revs,:rockon:
Without losing to much performance.:confused:
My left boot has a deep dimple from trying to get it in 7th gear!
Thank you Sir!!
Rich

How long have you been riding this bike?

When i firs got it i always felt like you do know, 6000rpm felt huge, and i kept looking for the 7th gear.

After a while i came to peace with the fact that this bike likes to get revved, i have done hundreds of miles keeping the engine at 8000rpm and up and the bike really doesn't seem to care! This is where the fun starts!

Maybe you just need to tune yourself and your ear to the fact that this isn't a twin, and high revs are OK.

Quite soon after getting it i went -1 in the front, and loved the extra punch so much i decided to now go +2 in the rear.
I know some people have gone +1 in the front and are happy with it, but having done the opposite i have to say the performance loss is definitely going to be noticeable.

According to gearing commander, going 17/45 will only drop you 450rpm at 70 in 6th gear, which is going to be pretty meaningless while cruising, but will be a huge change in the lower gears when trying to get into the power band.

Last edited: