Stebel Air Horn - 139dB of ear pearcing goodness!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I just finished installing the Stebel Nautalus Compact Electropnumatic Air Horn in my FZ6. I removed the stock horn altogether.

Took me about 2 hours of fiddling to get it all done and neat. First time I have lifted up my tank too! Nice that the battery is right up front! Made connecting the fused hot wire to the + terminal easier.

I mounted it inside the left front faring. I like the "hidden" aspect better as well as with my 'chin faring' I can't mount it down low on the left side of the engine like others have. I also personally don't like the horn just sitting out there on the side of the bike like that.

Tons of realestate in those front farings to mount the horn, wires and relay, even with all my previous wiring and additional relays for my Watsen LED signals! I found the 'screw' that Snow was talking about using as an anchor point for the Stebel. You just unscrew it a bit untill you can slide/wedge the Stebel's mount over it. I also used some cable ties to secure the horn body to the faring. Safe to say that the left side front faring is now full up now!

OMG is this thing loud!! I didn't listen to previous advice about letting it off in your garage...ouch..... It's friggin LOUD!!!

I had a smirk on my face as I drove to work this morning. It's like having a 'secret weapon'! But with great power comes great responi....ahh screw it! Gave a blast to the morning bus patrons waiting for the bus as I went buy. Figured it was cheaper than them buying a cup of coffeee to wake them up! Look out Hornblasters.com...here come Victoria BC Blasters.com...lol.

I will be good, I promise.....after the novelty wears off! hee hee hee

My write up: Boneman's "FAZED" web site - Stebel Nautilus Compact 139dB Air Horn

W

wrightme43

LOL
WAKE UPPPPP!!!!!!
Thats funny. Sometimes when no one is around I play jingle bells with my horn.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome!!!.. I have a horn from a ford ranger on my bike.... Beats the stock one...... This mod is definately one Im going to do... where Did you buy it?

Dennis:Sport:

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought mine from Motorcycle Accessories from California Sport Touring, Inc. for the best price. I just clicked on your link and the paper in teh packaging on mine was different...it was all red and yours has some yellow. I wonder if it was even the same.
I wasn't too impressed with it to be honest. It sounds like a sedan from the 1920's or some sort of play train like what you would find at a zoo or maybe Michael Jacksons house.
I mounted the horn under the right fairing and compressor in the airbox.

Last edited:

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome!!!.. I have a horn from a ford ranger on my bike.... Beats the stock one...... This mod is definately one Im going to do... where Did you buy it?

Ford horns are nice. At first, I thought about getting one for the bike. I still might if I can get my hands on one but I think I'm done with all the horn mods for now. I 'might' rewire it so I have Airhorn + oem on one toggle and OEM only on another but thats it. Right now I have the toggle switch wired for either one or the other.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com

Twistedthrottle.com Good chaps to deal with! Plus they send you a nice sticker and a sweet catalog!!!

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
i took mine out, and bypassed the switch. noticed the oem horn was louder (I think). there might have been a voltage drop across the switch. i'm going to try it again with volts directly to compressor.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
"Stebel Air Horn - 139dB of ear pearcing goodness!"

I've see and heard those and they're pretty cool and the price isn't too bad either but I'm "Broke as a Joke!" LOL

I do want a better horn than the "Voice of the Road Runner".:D

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
I've re-installed mine too many times. Here is one thing for sure, if you extend it with a hose, you'll have pressure (and decibel) drop. If you leave the horn on the compressor, it'll stay very loud. I have my horn by the factory horn and the compressor under the seat...its good enough for me.

fazerboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Curious of this screw. I can't seem to find the thread on sbn. I will be installing on this week. can you point me as to where/which screw it is.

:rockon: i will be refitting mine soon. the workshop did mine and hashed it . thought it was just the brackett they ballsed up. so remade 1 . the thing is it went down wards so it kept hitting the front wheel gaurd , through travell . i have got 2 repostion it . ill let u no , just looking at rest of advice uhm ?:rockon:

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon: i will be refitting mine soon. the workshop did mine and hashed it . thought it was just the brackett they ballsed up. so remade 1 . the thing is it went down wards so it kept hitting the front wheel gaurd , through travell . i have got 2 repostion it . ill let u no , just looking at rest of advice uhm ?:rockon:

Did they mount it where the old horn was located just above the front wheel?

I bent the existing bracket and mounted mine vertically in this location, just in front of the radiator.

I was concerned about the travel of the forks, but at least parked it seemed I could not cause enough downward travel to make contact with the fender.

I am also concerned about the horn blocking too much air flow to the radiator.

It's been well over 100 degrees here, so I figure if the air flow is a problem I should know pretty quick!

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I mounted mine under the left fairing,plenty of room,and left the standard horn where it was and put a switch in so I can have both at once or just OEM. :thumbup:

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
i love my stebel horn. it wakes the dead. my friend commented on how much he liked mine so i sent him the link to California sport touring where i bought it for the best price shipped. looks like ill be helping him install it on his 79 yamaha XS1100 special. :rockon:

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, there was not enough clearance where I had it mounted.

I moved it under the left fairing, but it is just hanging off of one of the interior fairing screws, then a zip tie as an insurance policy. Once the inner fairing piece was put back into place, it holds the horn down against the screw, so I don't think it can come off.

Here is the bad news. It is uber loud when parked, but a freeway speeds something goes wrong and it isn't very loud. Either there is a current availability problem at this speed, a poor connection due to vibration OR here is a question:

It says in the instructions that the mounting bolt needs to be very tight, 40 ft-lb. I assumed this was so that the horn could not vibrate the mounting bolt loose. Is it possible that because my horn is just hanging there, that the vibration of the bike is cancelling some of the sound waves or vibration from the horn?

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

What are you mounting the horn to in the left fairing?

TIA

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a good pic but you may be able to see the mounting point.I used a cheap bracket from the hardware shop to mount it to the screw.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the picture.

Yeah I am on the screw further forward, you are on the one further back.

I didn't use a bracket, just unthreaded the screw enough turns to slip the mount of the horn over the screw head.

Once I put the fairing back on, it holds it down.

Anyway it seems to be working OK now, I am not sure what happened yesterday when it sounded funny.