Strange noise while slowing down and stopping...

thkohlb

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 FZ6 and when am coming to a stop I hear a strange knocking noise. It's only when I am in gear and it doesn't seem to matter if I hold the clutch in or not, its still there regardless. It is consistant regardless of what gear I am in as well. If I am neutral it doesn't seem like it happens and when the bike is accelerating it is not noticable, or not there.

I do know that I have extra sprocket noise and I need chains and a sprocket, but I'm trying to make sure if there is anything else I need to do while I am already going to have the bike up and the tires off (probably doing tires too).

Any idea's guys?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like your worn out chain with some kinks in it trying to straighten out.

If you look at the chain right after it comes off the front spocket (bottom run) if there's stuck(kinked) links, your see them pretty easily compared to an adjacent straightened link.

Make sure you have 2" total up and down play on the lower run (ESPECIALLY after the shop pulls the rear wheel) of the chain at its tighest point.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the chain. That's bound to be it due to the fact the noise is still there when you clutch in and roll. Had mine to tight once and it kinda sounds like a playing card in a bicycle spoke. Loosen if too tight. Replace if worn out.

Last edited:

thkohlb

Reaction score
Visit site
Does it happen at certain rpm ranges?

It seems to happen from about 2500-3000 down to 1000 only. I was already planning on getting a new chain and set of sprockets, so hopefully it resolves itselft when I do that. Any recommenations for that would be great. I have been trying to look on the forum using the search bar, but when searching sprocket I'm not finding a ton of usable info. So other ideas for searchs may help out too!

Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems to happen from about 2500-3000 down to 1000 only. I was already planning on getting a new chain and set of sprockets, so hopefully it resolves itselft when I do that. Any recommenations for that would be great. I have been trying to look on the forum using the search bar, but when searching sprocket I'm not finding a ton of usable info. So other ideas for searchs may help out too!

Thanks!

I stuck with the stock Yamaha front sprocket and with the DID x ring chain(top of the line). I believe it came in a 120 link chain, I had to cut it down to 118 links for the stock sprockets..

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles have you put on since the change?

4-12-12, 11,800 miles, changed out the front sprocket and chain (the original rear sprocket is still on it in great shape). It has 15,659 miles on the clock right now (almost 4,000 miles to date)

*Note, I bought the bike from the original owner (my friend's son's first bike, bought new) with 4,850 miles on 2-1-09. The bike was NOT MAINTAINED, had the oil changed once, the chain lubed ONCE in that 4,800 miles, thus the early worn out chain/sprockets..

She's maintained now!!

thkohlb

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I purchased new tires, chain, front and rear sprockets, right any valve stems, and chain lube. Hopefully it will resolve the issue, otherwise I'll be back for more advice. Thanks guys!

thkohlb

Reaction score
Visit site
Please post your results after your test ride(s) :thumbup:

The issues seem to have been resolved! Thanks for the help guys! Last night we put on new front and rear sprockets, new DID chain (520), new Road Pilot 3 front and rear tires and right angle valve stems (the cheapest yet one of the best upgrades on a bike). So excited to try out the new tires......after the painful break in period.

The pic on the right is my friend cutting off the old chain.

I love the look of the new tires! Although we all know its not how they look that really matters!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a set of the road pilot twos on my Suzuki katana. If they perform anything like those did I will be very happy!

I have a PR2 on the front and a PR3 on the rear currently.

I really couldn't feel any difference when I changed out the rear from the PR2 to the PR3 (picked up a key and trashed the rear PR2, un-repairable, :( )

I have about 10,000 miles on the front PR2 and its NOT half worn, no cupping either...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
10,000 miles! That's what I would love for these tires to go for. Was the key yours or repurposed from someone else?

Re the key, no, it was in the street(trash), my front tire apparently ran over it, picked it up, got it slightly airborn and of course my rear tire caught it and then it impregnated my rear tire :)....

By the time I got home, a mile way, the key was fully straight in causing a 1" gash (way too big to fix)... I don't think the rear, PR2 had 2,000 miles on it..

biofractral

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there folks... I would like to share my chain noise experience hoping that someone could benefit in the future...

Yes, dirt can add a lot of extra noise... however in my case was different. The chain was dirty and very QUIET.... after cleaning and adjusting the chain went really... REALLY LOUD.... Long story short I did check and RE-check everything... making sure the rear axle was aligned properly, measure the distance from the pivot center at the swing arm to the rear axle etc etc... the tension of the chain was perfect according to the specs. What was wrong? The sprockets are good... chain is good.. clean, align etc etc... well after giving up I went to the local shop and one of the mechanics (a very nice man bty) went outside, lighted a cigarette and asked me to sit on the bike... then he checked the tension and he said: You did everything right... but you did it on the center stand didnt you? My reply was a obvious YES... then he sat on the bike and asked me to check the tension... for my surprise the chain was really tight... so.. the solution was simple... he told me to get my wife or someone to sit on the bike and adjust the chain with the person ON the bike...so I got my wife to sit on the bike and I went and loosen a little bit the chain... VOILA!!! NOISE GONE... Hope this helps someone down the road....