Strange Things in the Engine Oil

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have issues with it actually making it out of the hole. It'd be one thing to drop the lower sump and find that, but no way it floated at the perfect angle to come out of the side mounted drain plug (unlikely IMO).

I'm all in favor of cutting open oil filters. You get an idea of what's going on inside. If you still have it, it may be worth looking inside or buy another just like it and look inside? What about the cage you drive, lawn mower or something else that used that drain pan????

Exhibit A: http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter.html

You want to see what's in the pleats....
45290d1350842022-practice-what-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter-ssc_5595.jpg

As mentioned, looks a bit like the web inside the another filter and it could have dumped STRAIGHT OUT OF THAT FILTER INTO YOUR PAN.

Point; there is no way that item was in circulation.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I suggested this, when after using the screwdriver method to remove a Walmart/SuperTech filter, some plastic bits were on the verge of falling INTO the engine as I finally removed it.

Have a look at this link, eighth picture down, "Closeup of Yamaha internal." Might parts of that plastic filter basket be your mystery pieces?

Yamaha vs Sierra Oil Filters w\pics - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

(Those pics aren't an exact match for the FZ6 filter. Couldn't find a decent pic of one cut open.)

As you posted, it certainly looks like its from the oil filter.

Although we didn't know about the hammered, old oil filter initially, that plastic part would have likely fell directly into the oil catch container/basin as it was "worked off".

It likely NEVER was in the engine, but fell straight into into the pan with the oil filter. (that would explain a clean pan prior to the oil change, the part afterwards, how it got there ((never going thru the drain hole in the engine)).

If you can dig and scroung and find the old filter, its likely the puzzle part your missing...

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no mechanic....but I don't see any way that the object in the pic is going to pass out through the oil drain opening!

AlisAquilae

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm all in favor of cutting open oil filters. You get an idea of what's going on inside. If you still have it, it may be worth looking inside or buy another just like it and look inside? What about the cage you drive, lawn mower or something else that used that drain pan????

Given the fact that I'm at school right now, do not have access to any of my typical tools (hence the screwdriver method), and had to drain the oil into a disposable aluminum cake pan which came new from plastic packaging, I'm not sure it could be from anything else! :D

It likely NEVER was in the engine, but fell straight into into the pan with the oil filter. (that would explain a clean pan prior to the oil change, the part afterwards, how it got there ((never going thru the drain hole in the engine)).

If you can dig and scroung and find the old filter, its likely the puzzle part your missing...

You're probably right! This sounds like a reasonable deduction. I've recycled everything at the local WalMart so I won't be able to take a look at the old filter. I can't be sure but I may have dumped the old filter into the pan as it came off to clear the residual oil left inside.

Here are some FZ6R and FZ1 filter pics -- same as the FZ6's, I think. And a similar looking Versys filter. Same plastic guts.

These pics are very convincing. I'll still pull the cover to be sure, but I'm pretty convinced that these are indeed filter internals.

Thanks,
-B

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the updated info, pic's and new information, (screw-drivered Yamaha filter), IMO, at this point, I wouldn't bother with pulling the cam chain cover.

I've had my cover off to replace it (scruffed from the PO) and the guides don't look anything like what you found. (Its not to pull it off, just need a new gasket and some Yamabond liquid sealer, but again, I wouldn't bother).

*Please, in the future, should something arise, try to give all the info available, it makes it a bit easier, especially over the internet, trying to trouble shoot something. Something trivial can be something very useful. :thumbup:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you turn the filter over and pout it out into the oil pan? Possible the plastic pieces didn't come out of the oil pan at all. Very unlikely for a piece of plastic that large to come out through the drain plug hole.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you turn the filter over and pout it out into the oil pan? Possible the plastic pieces didn't come out of the oil pan at all. Very unlikely for a piece of plastic that large to come out through the drain plug hole.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

In post #17, the OP posted quote: I had to hammer a screwdriver through the top side of the filter a couple of times to get it off (oil filter wrench was unavailable at the time).

That found piece is exactly the same as in the oil filter.

I believe that part was attributed as part of the busted /screwdriver oil filter.

My Yamaha outboard OEM oil filter has the exact same supports/plastic.:thumbup: