stripping paint from front disk carriers

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i am in winter maintenance mode, and this year I want to do a thorough cleanup of some nasty parts. My 05 Silver has front disk carriers that are painted black, but there are small spots where the paint has disappeared. I was thinking of stripping all the paint off then using a buffing wheel to bring up a little sheen.

I don't want to use any chemical strippers, so I was thinking of either using a fine grit sandpaper or using my 500/1100 degree heat gun. I am not a painter, so my imagination is the limiting factor.

Anyone do this before?

Also, I am worried that the uncoated aluminum will turn out looking rattier than the chipping paint.

What do you all think?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed. Media, sand blast or even an abrasive disc with rotary air tool. Then powder coat. But do not PC the mating area or bolt landing zone.

If you have an air compressor and an old toaster oven good for 400°F, it's pretty inexpensive. The PC is cheap these days.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most places that powder coat (and that's the way to go), bring it down to it's base (usually sand blast).

Plus 1 ^^^, seal ALL threaded surfaces, etc as the PC will slightly change dimensions...

They'll look brand new after that....

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As i said, i am no painter. I didnt think it was possible to blast and powder coat with the bobbins in place. I will investigate. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So that brings up an interesting point. Can the brake disk be removed from the carrier? I have never seen any information on removing / reinstalling the bobbins.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So that brings up an interesting point. Can the brake disk be removed from the carrier? I have never seen any information on removing / reinstalling the bobbins.

Sure... Just make sure they mask off any critical area's, where the disc bolts to wheel (there's a short lip there if you look close).

Doing the entire wheel means removing wheel bearings and seals as well...(and taping off those surfaces).

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had both hubs of my DRZ done last winter. $30. They look perfect. The only prep required was removing the bearings. They cleaned and taped everything.