Suspension Setup

dainese

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Carlos do you always ride alone,how does the bike perform with the passenger on???

Sent sa Nokia Lumia 625 using Taptalk

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not ridden the bike with a passenger, i have removed the rear pegs and have a seat cowl, it is a solo bike.

I would think that oil and springs would have minimal impact on the ride with a passenger, the shock is still a weak link, and that must be even more obvious with someone extra on the bike.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 06 model stock, and I think the suspensions are too stiff especially going over the bumps and "stitches" running across our bad roads. The bike just unpleasantly jumps up. On uneven bumpy roads it feels nervous and rattles. Maybe it designed this way for the sport-riding on smooth roads, but on our "not-so" smooth roads it is annoying, especially for the passenger.
That said, I rode my friend's ADV bikes (VStrom's, GS...etc.) and they feel more smooth and refined. They feel as moving OVER the bumps, not into them...
Is there some type of a setup as this which is also possible on FZ6? At least in the front. Maybe ADV type suspensions or some like that?

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I am surprised you found the front suspension to stiff, to me it always felt soft and spongy before the upgrade!
Anyway, in the case of the FZ6 the poor ride quality comes from bad damping, both in the front and back.

New linear springs in the front are good foor setting the sag and making the ride more predictable but hey won't make the ride more comfortable, this is what damping is for, and a damping rod is always going to be a compromise.

If you can you should add some springs and gold valves emulators in the front, they are easy to install and are really a night and day change...
The problem is that they make the poor damping characteristics of the rear even more obvious, which is why i also changed my rear shock.
It all gets a bit expensive, but IMO it is worth doing if you enjoy the characteristics of the FZ6!

All my mods are covered in this thread:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/53102-final-motorcycle-update.html

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The stock spring is progressively wound. The initial travel has way too soft a rating making it mushy for most riders and the last part of travel is too stiff for most, making it harsh and jarring over bumps.

Also adventure bikes have longer travel where a progressive spring will actually be a good thing. But no matter what our suspension will always be a compromise because our damping is the same for compression and rebound so you can get one or the other working well but very few will be happy with both.

I found with the right spring and a few oil changes that the bike front end can be more then adequate. I have a pretty comfortable ride, not perfect but still very confident in the comers.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks.
Yamaha makes great bikes, but their suspensions are sux.
BTW the best suspensions are on a bemer. These guys know suspensions.

Is there a difference if the spring is up side down (narrow "progressive" side up)?

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the bike was a budget bike, and the suspension is where they saved money!

If you like the engine, brakes, frame etc it is well worth doing the suspension upgrade.

The front is the cheapest, springs are $119, and emulators are $169.

The rear can be cheap or expensive depending on what you get, if you go for a fancy brand and a fully adjustable shock you can spend $1500 dollars, but if you get a partially adjustable one, like the penske, or nitron or M-shock you can spend as little as $500.

To me it is worth it, the bike feels a lot safer and is a lot more fun to ride, but then i love the engine and ergos of it, I can't think of any other bike that is as comfortable while having an engine that redlines this high.
I just wanted to make is as good as it could be!

The smaller pitch part of the spring should be upwards.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Thanks.
Yamaha makes great bikes, but their suspensions are sux.
BTW the best suspensions are on a bemer. These guys know suspensions.

I'm pretty sure most Yamaha and BMW forks are manufactured by Showa or KYB.

Agree with Carlos it's about the money great suspension has a price.

I personally don't have a problem with the FZ6 suspension, I had worst. I only ride about 6k miles a year. Definitely much better with the right springs and oil.

And you can buy Sonic Springs for $85.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Mystery solved. I opened the tube and the smaller pitch part springs were downwards. Now it feels normal :)

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Mystery solved. I opened the tube and the smaller pitch part springs were downwards. Now it feels normal :)

I highly doubt there is much difference in feel between smaller pitch up or down, the spring still needs the same force to compress.

Actually there is a typo in the assembly manual, and people have found the stock springs in both configuration straight from the factory!

My forks had never been open and the smaller pitch was down.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I highly doubt there is much difference in feel between smaller pitch up or down, the spring still needs the same force to compress.

Actually there is a typo in the assembly manual, and people have found the stock springs in both configuration straight from the factory!

My forks had never been open and the smaller pitch was down.
Well, I'm not sure about the physics of it, but does feels better. Especially if going over the raised uneven pavement.

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
I am surprised you found the front suspension to stiff, to me it always felt soft and spongy before the upgrade!
Anyway, in the case of the FZ6 the poor ride quality comes from bad damping, both in the front and back.

New linear springs in the front are good foor setting the sag and making the ride more predictable but hey won't make the ride more comfortable, this is what damping is for, and a damping rod is always going to be a compromise.

If you can you should add some springs and gold valves emulators in the front, they are easy to install and are really a night and day change...
The problem is that they make the poor damping characteristics of the rear even more obvious, which is why i also changed my rear shock.
It all gets a bit expensive, but IMO it is worth doing if you enjoy the characteristics of the FZ6!

All my mods are covered in this thread:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/53102-final-motorcycle-update.html

What was the total of doing the upgrade?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly i don't know, also since i bought parts in the UK it would probably cost less for you to do it as parts are a lot cheaper in the US.
Just check the price for the emulators and springs on the racetech website, and add to that the price of your choice of shock. The rest is only oil and time.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I do have to add that the S2 folks have the cheaper option of R6/R6S forks which doesn't require that home run (damping setting) as they are adjustable from the outside.

I got mine for cheap and simply put fresh oil in them. Add the axle and kit and your set.

As stated, once you fix the front, then its also clear the back needs help too.