Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Turn your ROAM into a ROAM2

The link, below, among others on the 'net, describes how to turn your ROAM into a ROAM2. This adds 720p 60 fps mode and changes a few software controls a bit. I can confirm this works, upgrading from the latest ROAM firmware to the latest ROAM2 firmware, and the 60 fps "Action HD" mode looks nice and crisp on my computer.

Turn your Contour Roam into a Contour Roam 2.

I'll caveat this with my usual philosophy of upgrading firmware: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is always a risk of turning your device into a brick if the process goes badly. So unless you really want 60 fps, pass on this one. I haven't tried, and don't know if you can roll back to ROAM firmware from ROAM2 firmware.

Last edited:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
How to switch recording modes without a computer and the Storyteller software

One of the beefs many have with the ROAMs is the need to use a computer and Contour's Storyteller software to change recording modes and other settings. In the video, below, the author describes how to edit a hidden configuration file on the SD card and write-protect the file so the ROAM doesn't change it. This allows you to change recording modes simply by swapping memory cards.

Yes, yes, you'll have to stop, take your gloves off, and try not to lose your collection of microSD cards as you get all fiddly with them while out in the wild, yadda, yadda.

I'll write this up for Windows 7/8 -- no Mac here.

First, configure your computer so you can see hidden files:

Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options. Go to the View tab and select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and un-check "Hide extensions for known file types" (You'll probably want to undo this later.)

Now connect your ROAM via USB, or just the microSD card, to your computer.

In the root directory of the microSD card you'll see a formerly-hidden file named FW_RTC.txt (not FW_RTC_DEFAULTS.txt) Copy it to your computer.

Open the copy on your computer in Notepad or your favorite text editor.

Notice the lines in the second half of the file that have all the settings you can assign in the first half.

Change the line near the top to read UPDATE:Y instead of UPDATE:N This will force the camera to update its settings from this file.

Set the 1RES: parameter to be one of the Resolution settings you see down in the file. For example, 1RES:C for 720p 30fps video mode. Or 1RES:p/5 for continuous photos every five seconds mode.

This is all you need to change. Save and exit the file.

Now right-click the file you just edited on your computer -> Properties. Check the Attributes box for Read-Only. OK.

Now copy the file to the microSD card, overwriting the old one. Next time you use the camera it should record according to the settings you assigned in FW_RTC.txt.

To make additional changes for another microSD card, or to let the ROAM manage things as before, turn off that Read-Only attribute.

You could also use this method to simply change the camera settings without Storyteller if you don't have it handy. Just edit the file on the microSD card and skip the whole read-only business.

Credit for this procedure goes to the author of this video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lobQf8ieQfM]Contour Roam Changing Settings Without a Computer (Hack) - YouTube[/ame] and this, from Contour, CONTOUR | Manually Edit Settings

Copies of ROAM and ROAM2 FW_RTC.txt files are attached.

Last edited: