Thinking about buying a FZ6.

karl750

Reaction score
Visit site
I currently ride a 2000 R6 and for the last few seasons, I've been telling myself I need a more comfortable ride. I sat on a FZ6 the other day and it's exactly what i'm looking for in the way of comfort. However, will I be disappointed in the power or is my older R6 on par with a 2007+ FZ6? Anyone have experience with the FZ1?

I currently ride a 2000 R6 and for the last few seasons, I've been telling myself I need a more comfortable ride. I sat on a FZ6 the other day and it's exactly what i'm looking for in the way of comfort. However, will I be disappointed in the power or is my older R6 on par with a 2007+ FZ6? Anyone have experience with the FZ1?

First off, :welcome: to The Forum!!!

The power should be about the same. The FZ6 has just shy of 100hp (95-98 IIRC). The 2000 R6 had about the same (101 HP IIRC). The FZ6 engine is based on the 2003-2004 R6 engine and is actually a fairly tractable powerplant. You should feel right at home.:thumbup:

It's exactly what you say - a more comfortable and street-practical R6.

If you're disappointed with the power, drop a tooth in the front. It is geared a little tall.

The FZ6 is a bit heavier and you lose a bit of the top speed but its not like you need to ride at 160 mph:rockon: The last thing is probably being fully faired or half faired.

I just bought an FZ6 after years riding a BMW R1150R and I am very happy with the move. I mainly wanted a lighter motorcycle and while the FZ6 doesn't have the torque the BMW did, I haven't felt like the FZ6 was lacking either. I commute, do a little touring, and I find the FZ6 is very comfortable. I noted the previous reply said she felt the FZ6 was geared a little high, but I am planning on adding a tooth to the front spocket to gear it a little higher. Its got plenty of power to pull the extra tooth and it will lower the rpm's at cruising speeds. A very flexible motorcycle! Make it what you want it to be!

you'll love it.. if you were out this way i would let you take a spin.. after about 2 mins you'd want one.. :).. good luck .. oh and :welcome: to the forum... ride safe

You can't really go wrong with any year of the FZ6 you could find; power's great across 2004-present as far as I know. I know my '04's got more power than I'd ever need.

The comfort factor is good although if you do any long runs, you'll likely find that the seat is an irritant. A good Top Saddlery or Corbin seat solves that.

As folks have said, there's plenty of usable power to be had with this bike. And it's a nice platform from which to start "making it your own."

I bought mine without a test ride, the bike just felt right when I sat on it. It's not a superstar in any one area -- it's not the biggest, gruntiest touring machine, it's not a super rad race replica, it's not a speed triple (naked bike) but it has the potential to morph in whatever direction you might want to take it. Or just leave it the heck alone and ride...

Oh, and the first valve change isn't until 24 or 26k (i'm too lazy to check the figure...call it 25k), not too shabby.

Does anyone have any experiences with the Fz1?

i sat on one once and it felt comfy... i have talked to a few people that have them and they seem to love them as much as we all love our fz6's... I have heard they are not so great for gas millage if you ride it like you stole it.. but thats really the only negative.. well.. that and the difference in insurance.. but if your looking for a fun/reliable bike to have fun and ride the heck out of (eitehr fast as hell or just ride all the time) then this is the bike for you :)

Does anyone have any experiences with the Fz1?

It's heavier and has more grunt.

I find banana seats to be more practical for carrying people and things, which weights the FZ6 and the previous-gen FZ1 (never been on one of those) over the current-gen.

Make sure you price the insurance.

I'm in almost the same boat, thinking of selling/trading my 04 R6 for an FZ6 for the comfort. Though I'm not worried about loss in power because I know I'll never use even the FZ to its fullest potential.

I haven't really done anything but search the web to find out about the FZ6. This weekend, I plan on going to the local Yamma dealer and check it out. I love the full fairing look of the new 09 FZ6R, but I don't have the money. So I'll prob get a slightly older one, and then maybe add the lower fairing later.

Well, I just picked up a 2008 fz1 with a little less than 1k miles on it. The 6 sold me on the riding position and my test ride of the fz1 today was great. The power isn't night and day from my R6 but it has the kind of power on the freeway where you no longer need to shift down a gear to really pass someone. Thanks for your input guys!

The fz6 is like a BMX on Crack!!!:D I can flick this thing around like a dirt bike and it's got PLENTY OF POWER!!!!:D

Back