Thoughts from an FZ-6 fanatic whose bike is in trouble

hurrican3p

Reaction score
Visit site
So,

Sadly some guy creamed me on my bike in a rotary (roundabout for the UK/AUS folks) last Sunday. Spent a night in the ER and nursing some road rash. No serious injuries thankfully.

I'm waiting for the bike to get towed back to my apt, and I have no idea what kind of condition it's in. Been looking at other Yamaha bikes in case she's a goner, and would like to stay in the FZ family. If anyone cares to comment on the thoughts below please do so.

FZ-6 - my favorite bike of all time and most cost effective for me to pick up another. Plus I can put my parts on it.

FZ-7 - interesting but seems under powered

FZ-8 - really, really interesting but discontinued (WHY?). Worried about getting parts if I were to end up with one.

FZ-9 - I've heard this thing has an extremely jerky/abrupt throttle response. Probably more bike than I need anyways.

FZ-10 - I look at this bike on yamaha.com and drool but it's too much bike for me and a lot of dough.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't ignore the FJ-07 (MT-07? in your neck of the woods). The FZ-07 engine is a lot of fun. It's the motor equivalent of a golden retriever: it wants to plaaaaaaay! Unfortunately, it has a terrible suspension and a bad seat, and no wind protection or luggage. If the FJ version was available in the states I'd be very interested in giving it a whirl. I didn't care for the FJ-09. Not sure I can tell you why.

If my bike was wrecked tomorrow, I'd be buying an S2 FZ-6 and transferring any non-broken mods over. It's the perfect bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The mileage isn't as good but as a bare bones bike, no ABS, no linked brakes (or other crap), there's still(at least in the US), new , FZ1's around.

That'd be in the garage if my 6 was broke badly...

Once you find out the condition of your bike, PM member Skooter65. He was parting out one or two full bikes.
And I think he's up in your neck of the woods..

Get better FIRST!!.

Someone just posted I think an 06, COMPLETE, not running, minimum bid $500 on Flea bay(It's here on the forum as well).
just the aftermarket pipes were worth it. If your engine mounts aren't damaged, put you engine and other parts on his bike...:thumbup:

Here ya go:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/sell-your-bike-car-truck/57163-2006-fz6-part-out-fix.html

Last edited:

hurrican3p

Reaction score
Visit site
If my bike was wrecked tomorrow, I'd be buying an S2 FZ-6 and transferring any non-broken mods over. It's the perfect bike.

thanks - correct me if wrong but I think the Fz-6 S2 are the 2008 and 2009 models. I can't find a 2010 anywhere although according to Wiki they made one.
I like this response. Especially for porting the mods I think that makes sense.

hurrican3p

Reaction score
Visit site
there's still(at least in the US), new , FZ1's around.

That'd be in the garage if the 6 was broke badly...

Once you find out the condition of your bike, PM member Skooter65. He was parting out one or two full bikes.
And I think he's up in your neck of the woods..

Get better FIRST!!

thanks for the well wishes. I hear ya on the FZ-1 but that's honestly a beast I'm not ready to tame just yet.

The tow truck just dropped my bike off, I'll get a good look at it in the morning. appreciate the tip re: Skooter65

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks - correct me if wrong but I think the Fz-6 S2 are the 2008 and 2009 models. I can't find a 2010 anywhere although according to Wiki they made one.
I like this response. Especially for porting the mods I think that makes sense.

S1's were 2004 to 2006

S2's 2007 to 2009

After that (2010 and up), the HP dropped approx 1/3, picked up more fairings( more to damage in a "tip over").

I don't know what year your bike is, but the S2 did have some up-grades,better ft brakes, and some other things..

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha dropped the FZ6 for 2010 and brought out the FZ6R, a fully faired upright bike... with about 25 less horsepower than the outgoing FZ6.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can, post some pic's tomorrow.

Pay close attention around the engine to frame "arms", frame behind the swing arm AND
where the sub-frame bolts to the main frame (under the seat) and by the pegs..

hurrican3p

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can, post some pic's tomorrow.

Pay close attention around the engine to frame "arms", frame behind the swing arm AND
where the sub-frame bolts to the main frame (under the seat) and by the pegs..

Thanks Scott will do. Hopefully some pics and commentary will serve the forum well.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I sold my FZ6, as I'm in between jobs and will be moving to a different place, and if it is a snowy one, I'm not willing to maintain two vehicles, based on the season/weather.
Now, I'm doing some research for replacement bike, for future, if in case I go to a place, where the weather permits motorcycle year around and I couldn't get a replacement of FZ6 yet.
I don't want triple cyl; there are lots of complaints/threads on FZ09, even after VcycleNet ECU flash (which is by far the most popular on the Fz09.org forum), regarding vibrations at 4k-5.5k RPM range, which is basically city speed RPM.
Parallel twin, like FZ07 is waste, IMO, you'll get bored in a bad way easily.
FZ-10 is pricey, but FZ1/FZ-10 should be fine, once you get used to the bike, anyway, if you're buying the FZ-10, I would wait until next year, there will be definitely lots of complaints on CrossPlane, as it is first time for Street usage, with all those electronics, problems are expected.

Other brands,
Honda, CBR600RR is the closets one in terms of speed/power/weight-ratio, but it is close to R6 type seating.
Suzuki GSX-S750 Naked maybe, Suzuki's are known for speed, but they don't come with electronics, ABS is very useful for daily usage. As I ride rain/shine.
Other brands, maintenance is high and require other major maintenance frequently.

In my 16k mile ownership of my 08FZ6, I changed oil, oil-filter, flushed radiator, changed tires, gas, nothing else, it was solid when I sold it at 19k miles. So, I will stick to Yamaha, in my case.

I would take that FZ1, that is a great deal, just 15k miles on it, and lots of extras.
I was about to ask a question, what are the replacements of our FZ6, without increasing the insurance premiums, and emptying my wallets just for maintenance (not talking about upgrades), with same or more power range, and comfort and strong as FZ.

Good luck with your search, sorry for the long write-up.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Forgot about insurance rates, but yes ( ^^^^), I'm sure they'd be higher (if required) on the FZ1.

I looked at the 10 and the FZ1 and the FZ1 was the closest looking, design as the 6 we know and love.

The 10, I didn't care for the cosmetic's, looks in general... The FZ1 has been around a LONG time.

The only thing I could see it needs is a seat mod or replacement as its hard as a rock(way harder than the FZ6...

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, once the Fz-10's stock is freely available and not backordered anymore, you might find left over 2014/15 brand new Fz1's for a very cheap price from the floor, my gut feeling.

Even FZ1 is so much power for me, I'm still childish (sometimes) when it comes to motorcycles, and may not behave mature (do not hurt others) sometimes, when I see an open straight roads for miles.
I haven't even scraped my foot pegs on FZ6 let alone knee drag, so, IMO, I'm not ready for FZ1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_FZ1

Gen-1 vs Gen-2
1. Rear tire size bumped up to 190 on Gen-2
2. Less mileage per gallon and less gallon per tank
3. Weight is reduced by around 30-40lbs, still 386lbs total wet weight.
4. Braking capability (front) is upgraded on Gen-2
If you're going with FZ1, Ivan's flash is the way to go.

I might go back to Fz6 and if converting naked, I'll try to get my hands on Fz-10's bumble-bee headlight setup, someone from FZ-10forum will be there who is willing to part out and upgrade their headlight assy :) and no collision insurance this time(on the FZ6), I'll save around $200 per annum, which will leave me to $300 per annum to insure the bike (currently $471pa). Upgrade the seat this time.
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 8.21.57 AM.jpg

I'll see what others have to say on the replacement of your bike.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fz-09 is a good base platform for some (me esp) and will likely add to the stable. Flash the evu for $200 usd and the snatch is fixed, correct the suspension and you're set. Still not for everyone.

Nimble, flickable, great response, more linear power curve than our I4... fuel range could be a show stopper for some too.

terry_b

Reaction score
Visit site
This summer I upgraded to an FZ1 and I couldn't be happier with it. I still have the FZ6 (for a few weeks anyway) but the FZ1 is an improvement in almost every way. I loved the FZ6, and still get a kick out of riding it around and letting my friend ride it, but the FZ1 has better torque delivery (obviously this is subjective) and feels like it's smoother/faster. Feature wise, still no ABS, but better suspension than the FZ6 and it's a more comfortable bike for my wife to ride pillion. Eventually, (if I can ever find a job there) it will be doing a bit of touring in the Colorado mountains.

I looked at all the bikes you listed - the "naked" bikes don't appeal to me since I do a fair amount of highway miles. the 7 and 9 are 3 cyclinders which could be a lot of fun, but have their own quirks. The FZ8 was pretty comparable to the FZ1 but the FZ1 has a favorable price tag with a bit more power.

Hope you get better soon!

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently the more recent MT/FZ-09 have a different map so the snatch is either fixed or not as bad. And let's face it, if you can ride an FZ6 you can cope with poor fueling off a closed throttle.

About triples vs I4s, I've been getting used to a Sprint 1050st recently, and the triple is so much better. Significantly better. Torque all day, all the way round the tacho.

I'll probably be looking at Street Triple to replace the FZ6 in the future.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ-07 is a ridiculously fun bike to ride. People say how awesome the motor is in the FZ-09, and maybe they're right, but when I rode the FZ-07 I had way more fun. Featherweight and torquey, it's an ideal street bike. The throttle felt great, and the sound of a parallel twin with a pipe sounds macho.

That said, I am biased a bit towards the Street Triple...