Throttle Response

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Apologies in advance if I am asking something everyone is tired of talking about... The 2007 FZ6 is new to me, is my first bike with an ECU and fuel injection. I did search the forum a bit regarding throttle response, and have learned some useful information, but thought I would selfishly start a new thread Blah

I think this is fairly common, but throttle response on my bike is very binary at nearly closed throttle. It's on, or off like flipping a switch. Not smooth at all. I've heard this is a common complaint with fuel injected bikes, and I could learn to live with it if it is. But if it can be tuned out, I would like that. It is bad enough that rolling the throttle on after breaking into a turn will cause the bike to lurch if RPMs are in or near the power band. Puttering around at parking lot speeds is merely annoying, riding in a spirited fashion at greater lean angles it is not confidence inspiring.

Does this sound familiar, and can I fix it? TPS issue? Will installing a PC and remapping help? Do I just suck at throttle control Blah (entirely possible).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Might try getting the throttle cable as taught as possible W/O binding...

Also, keeping your idle on high side should help.

Throttle off, the fueling IS at zero.

I also have an 07 and don't have those issues (but then I'm not flogging often in the corners as corners are rare around here)..

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the throttle can be a bit "binary";

- remove and clean the throttle tube as well as the handlebar
- lube the throttle cables
- try playing with the cable slack (keeping it within the factory specs off course) to see what suits you more

And if all that fails, you may want to try the G2 throttle tamer - be warned though, because I bought it and took it off after just one week of testing.

Be warned;

In my personal subjective experience, the G2 tamer will make the initial opening of the throttle smoother, but it will also take away from the initial throttle response in the first ~1/4 of the turn making the bike weaker.

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The throttle engagement can certainly be "snappy"; but it can also be learned. I have gotten use to it and I'm only reminded that it has quick engagement when I read threads like this. I have multiple motorcycles, and I subconsciously know that the first 10-15% of throttle twist on the FZ has to be done with intention. The FZ is also my only FI bike.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never dumped the $500 to have ECU unleashed flash it. That said, it should help but that flash is more for midrange to WOT performance where they address fueling and ignition map shortcomings.

I suppose at some level I simply got used to it but advancing the ignition and correcting the fueling nearly eliminated the binary ON throttle effect out of the corner. The plus is it also pulls better all around and has pretty amazing throttle response making clutchless shifting eventless.

Now if you do the above and fix the exhaust restrictions it simply makes it a pleasure to ride!