Tried a FZ8

templar

Reaction score
Visit site
Local dealership got two FZ8's to his floor plan. He's sold one. I got to see and feel the other one today.

Nice bike, but aside from the handlebars and seat it felt pretty much like my present FZ6. I kept wondering why would a person trade a perfectly good FZ6 in on an *8*, side-stepping a Z1?

another impression: "If you can't make a better pickle, you make a better pickle jar."

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I honestly think Yamaha's biggest problem here is that the 6 made too much power. I didn't fit the newer scheme of UJM product offerings the market was developing into. 6's need to make about 70hp, 8's need about 90, and liters need around 110-120. Having a 6 with 90hp messed it all up, hence the FZ6R.

templar

Reaction score
Visit site
Think you folks are right-on. Don't get me wrong. FZ8 is a great looking bike and I doubt there was much difference in the handling from a 6. The additional 50-lbs weight might make it less apt to be thrown around by winds, The 800cc might make it more attractive riding two-up.

BUT, I think I'd spend the extra bucks for a Z1 for the additional extras for the same mileage.

Z1 comes when I need more hp's. So far I've not run out hp with my FZ6. :)

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I got to sit on one at a dealership in Knoxville on my way to the Gap a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and I have to echo the OP's sentiments...somewhat.

While I agree that I would probably just spend the extra $$$ and go for the FZ1, I'm partial to naked bikes (now that I've converted my FZ6). While the seating position was much like the FZ6 and FZ1, I did like the USD forks, although I wish these bike makers would add another $250-$500 to the cost of the bike and just go ahead and put adjustable suspension on there from the factory! I don't know this for a fact, but I would assume you could probably swap in the FZ1 forks (just like the R6S forks on the FZ6). Don't quote me on that, though.

Other than not having the adjustable suspension, I really liked it.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike, but aside from the handlebars and seat it felt pretty much like my present FZ6. I kept wondering why would a person trade a perfectly good FZ6 in on an *8*, side-stepping a Z1?

The FZ8 may feel the same while sitting on it in the showroom, but they ride completely differently, not even in the same ballpark. This is why looking at specs only is so misleading. The FZ8 is a vast step up in functionality and rideability on the street.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I don't think Yamaha is thinking anyone would trade a 6 for a 8. I think it appeals to people that want a great looking great handling bike with good power and don't want to break the bank. I think they hope both the 6 and 8 owners trade up to the 1 someday.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ8 is a vast step up in functionality and rideability on the street.

Ya reckon.....it drags it's pegs at high lean angle's, is hard to get off the line, due to a heavy flywheel effect, doesnt accelerate as hard as an FZ6, due to the fact it only has 4 more hp at the rear wheel, but an extra 26kg's to lug about....

A step up, i think not, a parts bin special...i think so!

Sorry, have said it lots, and so have lots of reviews, the FZ8 misses the mark!

Just my opinion, backed by the fact i have ridden one, a friend has one, and what i read, only backs up what i felt, and my mate tells me...

Stick with ya FZ6's people....a true gem from Mr Yamaha!

:rockon:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just read another review that seems to like the 8, but not to an excessive amount, IMO, Yamaha created a solution to a problem that didn't exist...

The FZ6 could have easily been upgraded to a couple different versions with suspension improvements, and a few other odds and ends, combined with an aggressive marketing campaign, like that of their "R" models,which would have sold and reviewed much better. IMO.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got to sit on one at a dealership in Knoxville on my way to the Gap a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and I have to echo the OP's sentiments...somewhat.

While I agree that I would probably just spend the extra $$$ and go for the FZ1, I'm partial to naked bikes (now that I've converted my FZ6). While the seating position was much like the FZ6 and FZ1, I did like the USD forks, although I wish these bike makers would add another $250-$500 to the cost of the bike and just go ahead and put adjustable suspension on there from the factory! I don't know this for a fact, but I would assume you could probably swap in the FZ1 forks (just like the R6S forks on the FZ6). Don't quote me on that, though.

Other than not having the adjustable suspension, I really liked it.

Ditto - but it fills a niche that others can't compete with. If it was an option to get factory ABS and turnable suspension, there would be orders if it stayed $reasonable$. . . .