Trouble with Oil Pump Cover Replacement

pdalora

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been digging through partshark/partzilla fiche and can't seem to find a specific part that I'm pretty sure I'll need.

A little background, I had a small get-off and lowsided on the right side, scuffing up the oil pump cover. Seeing as I've got that CCT noise, I figured I'll take care of the cover and the APE manual CCT at the same time.

Now I've got the gasket for the cover to the block itself [pn 5SL-15456-01-00 (replaces 5SL-15456-00-00)], but there's a wire going in to the SIDE of the cover and inside, what I'm going to venture a guess as some kind of cam sensor or something or other or something...or something. I don't know, but on the outside is a black rubber boot and what seems to be some kind of gasket material. I can't find any reference to this wire or sensor in any of the available diagrams. I've also given the FSM a look through and (not ruling out the possibility of me not catching it) didn't see anything. Any help is greatly appreciated :D

Hey guys, I've been digging through partshark/partzilla fiche and can't seem to find a specific part that I'm pretty sure I'll need.

A little background, I had a small get-off and lowsided on the right side, scuffing up the oil pump cover. Seeing as I've got that CCT noise, I figured I'll take care of the cover and the APE manual CCT at the same time.

Now I've got the gasket for the cover to the block itself [pn 5SL-15456-01-00 (replaces 5SL-15456-00-00)], but there's a wire going in to the SIDE of the cover and inside, what I'm going to venture a guess as some kind of cam sensor or something or other or something...or something. I don't know, but on the outside is a black rubber boot and what seems to be some kind of gasket material. I can't find any reference to this wire or sensor in any of the available diagrams. I've also given the FSM a look through and (not ruling out the possibility of me not catching it) didn't see anything. Any help is greatly appreciated :D

The wires going into the rear of it is the pick up sensor for the ignition. Part #21;

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2004 FZ6 - FZ600SS ELECTRICAL 1 Diagram

As I re-call, its held on with TORX screws that are VERY TIGHT so have a good set available. There may also be some locktite. You can R&R that cover while on the side stand W/O draning the engine oil..

Last edited:
The wires going into the rear of it is the pick up sensor for the ignition. Part #21;

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2004 FZ6 - FZ600SS ELECTRICAL 1 Diagram

As I re-call, its held on with TORX screws that are VERY TIGHT so have a good set available. There may also be some locktite. You can R&R that cover while on the side stand W/O draning the engine oil..

Awesome, thanks for the reply. My only concern is, is there a gasket for the boot for the pickup sensor? Because even on partzilla it just shows the entire assembly. Mainly mounting hardware and the sensor it self, all looks to be internal parts.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. My only concern is, is there a gasket for the boot for the pickup sensor? Because even on partzilla it just shows the entire assembly. Mainly mounting hardware and the sensor it self, all looks to be internal parts.

If you look at your bike, that's a rubber "grommit"(might not be the right word), that's attached to the pick up sensor(its molded around the wire), that slips into the case.

The manual calls for a little bit of Yamaha Bond 1215 all the way around the inside and outer lip of that grommit. I used Yamaha sealer #4 (case sealer) when I replaced my cover.

Any good RTV sealer should work fine as well. I would stick with black or gray (or it'll stick out ugly!)..

Last edited:
If you look at your bike, that's a rubber "grommit"(might not be the right word), that's attached to the pick up sensor(its molded around the wire), that slips into the case.

The manual calls for a little bit of Yamaha Bond 1215 all the way around the inside and outer lip of that grommit. I used Yamaha sealer #4 (case sealer) when I replaced my cover.

Any good RTV sealer should work fine as well. I would stick with black or gray (or it'll stick out ugly!)..

I grabbed some permatex ultra black maximum oil resistance rtv, thanks a lot for the direction and the tip on the rag for scraping that old gasket off, lots of help man!

Back