tyre pressure

flashgordon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all I'm new to the forum and have had my Fz6 Fazer since Jan after crashing my zx7r on icy roads and decided to go back to fizzers after owning a 98 bike, doing this has reminded me of an question i had back then.
Tyre pressure in the hand book state 33F and 36R upto 90Kg and 36F 42R 90Kg -190Kg, as I'm aroung 91Kg kitted up i decided to use the higher pressure but the hand book aslo states a pressure for fast riding as 33F 36R although IMO the high pressure feels better, so my question is which tyre pressure is correct/best as i dont want to increase the tyre wear as i commute daily and tyre aint cheap:uk:?
Rich.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
When you ride, friction causes the tire to heat up and the air inside the tire to expand, creating a higher pressure. This is why they suggest lower pressure for high speed. The faster you go, the more friction.

If you mostly do touring/commuting, I would suggest a middle ground of 38psi or so.
Every tire is different also, so it won't hurt to experiment with different pressures.

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a couple more pies than you weighing in at 95-100 kg and found the higher pressure feels much better so use 36F 42R. This is for every day commutes and a little bit of "fun" at the weekends :)

You might also want to check the suspension on the rear. Stock setting I think is 3 (0 - very bouncy, 7 = very firm). I'm currently on 5 but might crank it up another one to see what happens. 3 was just too bouncy for my liking and 5 feels much more settled.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert here, but the higher the pressure, the more your tyre will heat up if you start "pushing the limits".. That could therefore increase tyre wear.
If it's just a moderate pace you run on mild sweepers or straight roads, the higher recommendations should be ok.

I run mine at around the 33F and 36R, would weigh in about 95Kgs fully geared up.

genesis

Reaction score
Visit site
I worked at a tire shop for 5 years... it was a car shop but I would guess motorcycle tires work the same.

Lower tire pressure will cause more wear but it gives you better traction. If your pressure is to low for the weight on your bike you can cause some uneven wear on the tires. Higher tire pressure will give you better tire wear and stiffens the ride a little but will also decrease your traction a little.

Comfort, traction, and tire wear is what your trying to juggle when your adjusting your tire pressure. Your going to have to compromise on one to improve another.

Also tire pressure increases at higher speeds due to the tires heating more, that is why they recommend setting the lower tire pressure. I don't think that is necessary unless you are riding 60+ for long distances. Thats just what I read it as meaning by fast riding... or if you plan on doing 90+ just for fun some times :rockon:

If your just above the 90Kg mark, I would say go with something just above the recommended 34F - 38R :D

flashgordon

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the veiws they make a lot of sense, i have been on quick rides on stock Dunlops with the lower pressure and had no issues, now i have roadsmarts which feel good so i'll play around with pressures and see which feels best.:rockon:

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
How are you finding the Roadsmarts? I had them on a 1250 Bandit and they were excellent.

My FZ6 has BT020s and they feel terrible. Turn into a roundabout and it feels like the front tyre is trying to walk in the opposite direction. Maybe this is down to pressures though as I've been running 33 front, 36 rear and I'm a "bit" over 90kg.

flashgordon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi where abouts in the uk are you, I find the roadsamarts really good had no moments yet and I've been to the edge of the rear tyre and close to the edge on the front.
I have done about 4k on the pair so far and there is still a lot of tread left plus they are not squared considering i commute everyday, would recommend them come rain or shine.
I also use the same pressures and adjusted the rear shock from standard setting 3 to No:4 as all kitted up I'm just over 90Kg.
:Flash:

Last edited:

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the metropolis of St Neots, in between Bedford and Cambridge.

I'll have to play with the rear shock too as it's too soggy for me.

Good to hear about the Roadsmarts. Unfortunately my rear tyre is nearly new so it'll be a while til they get changed.

tmilheiser

Reaction score
Visit site
How are you finding the Roadsmarts? I had them on a 1250 Bandit and they were excellent.

My FZ6 has BT020s and they feel terrible. Turn into a roundabout and it feels like the front tyre is trying to walk in the opposite direction. Maybe this is down to pressures though as I've been running 33 front, 36 rear and I'm a "bit" over 90kg.

i have bt020s and i like them, im 200lbs i ride a 40mi 75+mph commute and for the summer (90+degrees) i ride 30psi F and 32psi R, i bump it up to 34 F 36 R max for winter. I feel like i get good traction dry and in the rain, but i dont have experience on any other tires, (other than stock) Any one else run this tire? what do you think of it? what tires do you like?

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I worked at a tire shop for 5 years... it was a car shop but I would guess motorcycle tires work the same.

I am curious, but I heard from a attendee at a motorcycle show who took a stock motorcycle tire and inflated it until it popped that it came close to 200 psi before rupturing.

If the motorcycle tire does not have dry rot etc., it won't explode due to too much pressure. However, too low a pressure can weaken the sidewall and cause a blowout from weakened rubber.

When riding with a heavy load, I ran 37 front and 43 on the rear and cruised all day at 80-100 mph. The bike is much more stable due to the sidewall stifness. The lower pressure made the bike more unstable in high winds and did not track as well as high-pressure.

Next time somebody get's to replace a used motorcycle tire, fill it till it ruptures and post up the results. You will be surprised how high the PSI can get before the loud POP!

Fred

Last edited: