unwanted sound appeared after service

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno what all they did at the scheduled service but I would especially be leery of the back tire/wheel. (Maybe double-check the torque on the rear axle nut?)
Good luck!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bringing this back from the dead. My bike makes this sound too. its a 2004 i picked up recently w/ 2500 miles on it. At first I thought the bike had a bad wheel bearing.... but....on inspection

It looks to me like the bottom of the chain contacts the top of the rubberized/plastic guard on the forward section of the swing arm - the contact is on the top of the swing arm where the chain goes into the covered area of the front sprocket.

Like the previous poster - I checked my chain tension - and tightening the chain reduced the sound slightly - but it is remains a noticeable contact.

The sound/vibration of the bike making this sound is - well - not satisfying - and I suspect could by why the PO sold the machine. I am not so sure this is correct.

I did see another thread about the chain rubbing the guard - with lots of great pics - but no definitive resolution.....

Tonight I think I will play with rear tire alignment - but I post this question in the hope someone may have already seen and resolved this issue.....

Is the top of the chain guard worn out possibly with the chain rubbing the swingarm itself? Also, does the bike have a 15 tooth front sprocket which would bring the chain slightly closer to the swingarm (aggrevating the situation). The guard looks easy enough to change out. I would also check the front sprocket nut and make sure its torqued to spec.

Good luck.

darkstofknightz

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, I guess I'm different than everybody but if I got the bike worked on and something wasn't right, I would turn right around and would not leave until it was made right. Once you leave for a considerable time its on you and not them, thankfully its something fixable :rockon:

jmagilto

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the top of the chain guard worn out possibly with the chain rubbing the swingarm itself? Also, does the bike have a 15 tooth front sprocket which would bring the chain slightly closer to the swingarm (aggrevating the situation). The guard looks easy enough to change out. I would also check the front sprocket nut and make sure its torqued to spec.

Good luck.

thanks for the post. I took it to the dealer and they performed a recall on the front sprocket and replaced the TPS. The bike had apparently never been serviced.

They adjusted the chain and it clears fine now.

The noise is still there tho... ugh. I am thinking it is the front wheel bearing.

PVFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I find that my bike likes the chain right at the loose limit, any tighter and it begins to whine a bit. Try loosening the chain tensioners by 1/4 turn until the noise goes away. Then check the tension of the chain at the loosest point.

Dont forget that as you ad weight to the bike the chain gets tighter. IMO the best way to check the chain tension is with the rear tire on the ground, ie not on the center stand(which unloads the rear suspension).

I know the manual says to put it on the center stand.

jmagilto

Reaction score
Visit site
I find that my bike likes the chain right at the loose limit, any tighter and it begins to whine a bit. Try loosening the chain tensioners by 1/4 turn until the noise goes away. Then check the tension of the chain at the loosest point.

Dont forget that as you ad weight to the bike the chain gets tighter. IMO the best way to check the chain tension is with the rear tire on the ground, ie not on the center stand(which unloads the rear suspension).

I know the manual says to put it on the center stand.

This is a great suggestion. In my trip to old-fat-bastardville I have reached exit 215. This could be a contributor!!
I will give this a shot. :)
jer