Vacuum Gauge - Suggestions?

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
What would be a decent quality, not too expensive vacuum gauge to help with checking vacuum pressure for throttle bodies? Some sort of particular brand/model you'd recomment, and ideally something on Amazon or Ebay. I'd prefer to buy a single gauge as opposed to a kit of four to help with cost savings.

I bought one before at Princess Auto, but it seems like it was more made for cars. When I hooked it up, the needle would go absolutely bonkers and getting a solid reading was impossible.

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
DIY it! It will cost about $20-$30 depending on where you live. Use ATF fluid or 2 cycle oil for it.

Appreciate the response, but I'm looking for a vacuum gauge - not manometer. I've already synced them with a manometer; I'd just like to check the values using a precise gauge.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought we beat this horse to death already?! Add a restrictor near the engine. Something with a MAX ID of 0.015 ~ 0.018". If the gauge is sluggish, go bigger say from 0.018" to 0.022"
Sampling from the vacuum senor sees all 4 cylinders - this will be the engines vacuum. Any single cylinder is going need a restrictor or a reservoir.

PS - I measured 3 different brands of envelopes across the sealing seam - all were 0.0145" So its pretty small.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought we beat this horse to death already?! Add a restrictor near the engine. Something with a MAX ID of 0.015 ~ 0.018". If the gauge is sluggish, go bigger say from 0.018" to 0.022"
Sampling from the vacuum senor sees all 4 cylinders - this will be the engines vacuum. Any single cylinder is going need a restrictor or a reservoir.

PS - I measured 3 different brands of envelopes across the sealing seam - all were 0.0145" So its pretty small.

Well, yes, we kind of did. I'm trying to get together a half decent set of tools in order to perform maintenance in the future without any issue. Gauge was going bonkers even with restrictors in place. Wasn't sure if there were gauges that came with built in dampers and the likes.

Guess I'll look further, and try to restrict the openings more if need be. I get that my questions seem to be overlapping at this point, and that's probably frustrating - so feel free to ignore my stuff if you so choose.

Last edited:

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah my mistake. However, I think I saw one at Northern Tool a few days ago if you have one close by. It had a great price on it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just because it has restrictor, that doesn't mean its the proper size. A car gauge is fine (bigger is better) and a fluid dampened one is superior but not necessary. A car item is going to cost less than one which is said to be a for a bike because thats how this world works! Stock up on restriction devices until you find one that works!

Range of:
Intake vacuum 29.0 kPa (8.6 inHg) (218 mmHg)
Engine idling speed 1250–1350 r/min

Shown is an oil filled gauge. This dampens movement but it still needs a restriction device. It is neither bike or car specific but for industrial use.
DSC_8133%20TB-Sync%20CarbTune_zpsnqud9698.jpg

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_0444.JPG

I got this from Amazon: Emgo Carburetor Synchronizer... Has adjustment screws on the restrictors to dampen the movement of the needle when hooked up to the engine.