Water proof Phone + hydration solution?

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello! I am currently investigating ways to attach a cell phone and hydration pack to the gas tank and handlebar area of the Fz6 in preparation for a 1-2 week trip at the end of this Summer.

Here are the competing criteria for the set up.

• Must mount or hold a Samsung Galaxy S3 with charger and ear buds. (Any suggestions for a good usb or 12v hook up?).
  • Must mount a hydration pack - no back packs!
  • Must be water proof or have a good water proof cover.

I am currently looking at using the Rapid transit recon 19 tank bag or this Nelson Rigg model. In either case I don't know how I'll get earbuds hooked up, and I don't want to use Blue Tooth headsets since (I assume) they aren't water proof.

Are there any water proof phone mounts that allow you to hook up earbuds? There are some cell phone dry bags that do this but I haven't found any mounts yet that do it.

So what are you guys using? Recommendations? Experiences? Suggestions? Wisdoms?

Edit: I just realized you could route ear buds back out of the charger port on the Nelson Rigg model, but you lose that function when you put the water proof cover on.

Last edited:

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Bluetooth headset, and it has proven entirely waterproof. Best money ever, music through it, with satnav overriding it when needed, and calls and texts come through no problem. Battery lasts all day, and my phone lives in my inside pocket. Satnav eats phone battery, but you can route a long USB cable into your pocket easy peasy

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Bluetooth headset, and it has proven entirely waterproof. Best money ever, music through it, with satnav overriding it when needed, and calls and texts come through no problem. Battery lasts all day, and my phone lives in my inside pocket. Satnav eats phone battery, but you can route a long USB cable into your pocket easy peasy

What headset do you use? Being waterproof is awesome. My only problem now is that I plan to use the headset all day and I'm not comfortable letting it charge on my bike's battery over night.

Can you run a usb cable to the headset and charge it during use?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not just get the latest and greatest from Uclear. They have the best sounding bass Bluetooth helmet speakers in the industry now. Get a Ram Mount X Grip And then use a tank bag to store a Camelback. Although they are designed to be worn like a backpack since it allows you to drink while you're riding. Plus the camelback doubles as a refrigeration unit when worn when it's frozen

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't like any link between me and the bike, so, no wires that connect to the bike.
I have two small battery packs (less than 10,000mAh each), one that run the helmet camera, via USB, into my jacket pocket, If I want to charge my phone (which I don't need to on a 8am-6pm ride), I use my USB and 12v socket charger on my handlebar and put my cell phone in the tank bag.
Lately, I stopped using earphones and using only earplugs, no music, planning to get a Sena 20s or smh-10 (heard 10 is better in terms of weather proof), but 20s is the latest and it is future proof.
Those intercoms serves the purpose of bluetooth streaming music, gps nav, communication with buddies, all in one.

to OP:
Sena SMH-10 is for 150$, revzilla or eBay.
Sena 20s is available for 195$, eBay, both brand new.
I got one of these handlebar mounts, claimed to be waterproof, if maintained correctly. I've been using it from April, 2015 and they are still going.
Motorcycle 12V USB Waterproof Cigarette Lighter Power Port Outlet Socket Black | eBay
I use suction mount cradle for my Garmin Nuvi 1390, which I bid and won for 40$, a year ago, and I rode in a couple of rains(cherohola skyway and other interstate road), and it still works fine, so, it literally paid off.
I hook up the car charger socket from GPS to the 12v socket and run the handlebar Remote(for handlebar) and a battery pack to the handlebar camera.

As per hydration packs, I don't use any, as of now, but looking at the weather already, may need to invest in one, and I'm okay with a backpack, again, I don't want any link between me and the bike.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
041c2a0501bb8c12b8941ffdeaceba86.jpg

This is how I travel. Usually topcase, camel back, gps, tank bag. Only connection to the bike is the heated gloves, but those disconnect easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
What headset do you use? Being waterproof is awesome. My only problem now is that I plan to use the headset all day and I'm not comfortable letting it charge on my bike's battery over night.

Can you run a usb cable to the headset and charge it during use?

It's an Interphone f4mc - I charge it overnight from the mains

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As for a power tap, here is a drop in solution that plugs in without cutting or wire taps.

I've had this piggy back on mine for 2 years and have no reliability issues. It is running my fuel controller. Before install I applied a liberal amount of dielectric grease.
Item is: Bussman BP/HHH-RP
Can be found from many suppliers and is inexpensive.

IMG_0203_zps4qacform.jpg

IMG_20150206_192719_035_zpsd3tgvhx6.jpg

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As for a power tap, here is a drop in solution that plugs in without cutting or wire taps.

I've had this piggy back on mine for 2 years and have no reliability issues. It is running my fuel controller. Before install I applied a liberal amount of dielectric grease.
Item is: Bussman BP/HHH-RP
Can be found from many suppliers and is inexpensive.

IMG_0203_zps4qacform.jpg

IMG_20150206_192719_035_zpsd3tgvhx6.jpg

It took me a while to see how it works. That's neat :D

It looks like it only provides a positive line, though. How do you complete a circuit?

I got one of these handlebar mounts, claimed to be waterproof, if maintained correctly. I've been using it from April, 2015 and they are still going.
Motorcycle 12V USB Waterproof Cigarette Lighter Power Port Outlet Socket Black | eBay
I use suction mount cradle for my Garmin Nuvi 1390, which I bid and won for 40$, a year ago, and I rode in a couple of rains(cherohola skyway and other interstate road), and it still works fine, so, it literally paid off.

I really like the look of that. I've heard horror stories of accessory chargers (especially USB chargers) that have a steady power drain even when not in use, thus killing the battery (bad for a weeks long trip!). That one appears to have a quick disconnect (or fuse holder, now that I look at it) built into the hot line, which is great for peace of mind, as long as I can remember to unplug it!

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the look of that. I've heard horror stories of accessory chargers (especially USB chargers) that have a steady power drain even when not in use, thus killing the battery (bad for a weeks long trip!). That one appears to have a quick disconnect (or fuse holder, now that I look at it) built into the hot line, which is great for peace of mind, as long as I can remember to unplug it!

Actually, this one doesn't have any switch, when I hot it, but has a fuse, and you can add a power switch, to control them, and I never saw any power draw, while it is not in use.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It took me a while to see how it works. That's neat :D

It looks like it only provides a positive line, though. How do you complete a circuit?

Battery Negative or any clean chassis ground to the engine like a fastener.

PS location is switched with the igniton key. Like I said, its powering my fuel controller.

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Battery Negative or any clean chassis ground to the engine like a fastener.

PS location is switched with the igniton key. Like I said, its powering my fuel controller.

Being switched by the ignition key is trick. It sounds like I could hook up a power outlet to the output of that plug and it would then be switched. That's what I'm talking about!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Being switched by the ignition key is trick. It sounds like I could hook up a power outlet to the output of that plug and it would then be switched. That's what I'm talking about!

True statement!

FWIW: the three most commonly used Fuel Controllers use that source but fail to split the load off with an auxiliary tap like this.
Meaning; if your tail bulb shorts AND the 10 Amp fuse blows, your engine dies. This is BAD!

Everyone relying on those instructions should add this piggy back fuse holder and separate the tail light from the Fuel Controller.
IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
True statement!

FWIW: the three most commonly used Fuel Controllers use that source but fail to split the load off with an auxiliary tap like this.
Meaning; if your tail bulb shorts AND the 10 Amp fuse blows, your engine dies. This is BAD!

Everyone relying on those instructions should add this piggy back fuse holder and separate the tail light from the Fuel Controller.
IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!

That's awesomely useful information. I doubt I would ever have even thought of this.

It provides an awesome solution to my problems, though. Now I can hook up a USB charger without worrying about a dead battery. SUH-WEET!

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an update, I got this socket mentioned by Raja and a fuse tap as recommended by FI for installation of said socket.

Thinking of getting an SHM-10 since that's what my riding buddy uses and some kind of hydration tank bag like those mentioned in OP.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an update, I got this socket mentioned by Raja and a fuse tap as recommended by FI for installation of said socket.

Thinking of getting an SHM-10 since that's what my riding buddy uses and some kind of hydration tank bag like those mentioned in OP.

Get the Sena 20s, which is backwards compatible too, will go with any brand, any model intercom. I got one recently, lasted 7am-6pm on a single charge, almost continuous music, with no intercom, as I'm the only one with an intercom, so, didn't test the main feature successfully.

Cool, you'll like the socket, two devices can be charged by one.

Got my OGIO Atlas 100 today, ordered from 2Wheel.com yesterday at noon, got delivered today for no extra cost.
Wharehouse and my house are in East coast..!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bzj_F7fR53q6X0tlQmRpNjlaRUE&usp=sharing

Cleaned it thoroughly with cold water, including the hose/tube 3 times
I filled up with 16 OZ of fresh water and left it in the freezer, I'll add the rest of the water before the ride.

This hydropack has a big opening, kind of like a ziplock bag to pour water. As of now, it is pretty convenient, will test it on one of the rides and will update more.

TIP: I read not to fill it up with water till the top and freeze, because Ice kind of expands and cause damage to the bag, so, make sure you leave a lot of space for the bag to expand.

Attachments

• IMG_2869.jpg
    IMG_2869.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: