Weep hole in left side of cylinder head

dinger1989

Reaction score
Visit site
Hoping someone can help me out here. Took my bike for a good run out yesterday. Done about 200 mile and the hole on the left hand side of the cylinder head which i have now discovered is a weep hole had a dry white residue round it. Like something had ran out of this hole and dryed on. Haven't got a clue what it was.
Anyone had this problem before??

I've been wondering if it was supposed to have a plug in it but think it is what you call it; a weep hole. If the head gasket fails, I suspect you'll see coolant weep from the hole.

But - any water sprayed in there by accident that isn't 0pH could easily corrode the unprotected aluminum. This could make the powder and all the vibes from a long ride allow to migrate to the hole.

How old is the bike; how old is the anti-freeze (you do have anti-freeze, yes?), has it ever been changed, was it the right type, and has it ever over-heated, or has the head ever been off?

My point being is there any logical reason for you to loose a head gasket.

Just check the oil and make sure it not white and full of water, confirm the coolant is full and not worry about. Unless its allot!

Picture?

Hope this helps!

well first of all thanks to you both to replying. The bike is only 7 months old it has 1700 mile on the clock, it was last serviced by a yamaha dealer at 500 miles so all the anti freeze etc will have been checked then. It has been kept in a garage covered up all winter. it doesnt go out in the rain and everytime i take it out i wash it and dry it before putting it away. Also this wasnt its first run out since it has been parked up but no sign of this last time.

My biased, unprofessional opinion is: Quit washing your bike so much. (Wipe it down gently, when it's not dusty, with something like Armor All Wipes) I'm betting water from washing is getting in there and then boiling out and drying there when you fire her back up, (like the calcium residue that builds up in a tea kettle). I'll bet, (and hope!), that possibly you are seeing a dried Calcium deposit.

The hole is designed as a drain hole so that water does not accumulate and pool up inside the sparkplug holes for each cylinder from a wash or rain. Pooling water in each plug hole may lead to misfire, corrosion, etc.

Back