Weighted bar ends?

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
I just changed out my grips today for the Rizoma Lux grips. I was going to also change out the bar ends for weighted ones, as they are supposed to reduce bar vibration, but I noticed when I removed the stock ends that they're pretty hefty already. I didn't have a scale to weigh them at the time, so I can't compare their weight to some that I've tried to shop for. (My sis-in-law has a scale for weighing postal packages that I'll have to bust out.) Are they considered weighted already?

I'll post pics of my grips later. If anyone's interested in knowing the weight of the bar ends, I'll post that too.

I'll say this too about the MANY posts all over the internet about how to remove the stock rubber grips. They suggest using Windex to make sliding them off easier (assuming you want to keep them intact and not cut them off). THAT REALLY HELPS. I tried for quite a while w/out the Windex and had limited progress. I even got a blister on my hand twisting the rubber like mad. As soon as I used the Windex.....hazzaahhhh MUCH easier! :thumbup:

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
I laos read that if you have an air compressor sticking the blower nipple under the grips makes the off/on much easier.

Also supposed to make a great whoopie cushion noise :)

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking that you are not going to find any after market ones that weigh more than the factory ones.

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
I laos read that if you have an air compressor sticking the blower nipple under the grips makes the off/on much easier.

Also supposed to make a great whoopie cushion noise :)

I read that too, and I have a compressor, I was just too lazy to get it plugged in. I should have, though, if only for the whoopie cushion noise.

The bar ends are 10.6 ouces each, BTW.

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking that you are not going to find any after market ones that weigh more than the factory ones.

Throttlemeister has a standard (1.6" long) and heavy (2" long) size. The standards are 12 oz per side, and the heavies are 14 oz per side. For the FZ6, though, they only come in a billet stainless steel color. I was looking for black or red. Rizoma's heaviest ends are less than 2.5 oz; must be aluminum. I think I'll just keep the stock ones.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com

+1

I just changed my factory ones out for RIZOMA grips and bar ends. I was concerned becasue the RIZOMA bar ends are so light compared to stock! I was thining that I might have to buy a 'bar snake' to make up the weight.

However, I was pleasently surprised by the ensuing ride after the swap. No noticable vibrations even with significanlty lighter bar ends! I was shocked...and happy!

Oh and a big YES to using the compressor to get the grips off! Too easy with compressed air!

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
Throttlemeister has a standard (1.6" long) and heavy (2" long) size. The standards are 12 oz per side, and the heavies are 14 oz per side. For the FZ6, though, they only come in a billet stainless steel color. I was looking for black or red.

Not true. I have the black heavy Throttlemeister version on a 2004 FZ6.

J_Slyter

Reaction score
Visit site

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
I found this thread while searching for a solution on my wife's FZ6:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/5441-bar-end-weight-recommendations.html

I'm not sure what the FZR1000 is, FZ1 maybe. It supposedly has a 400gram weight, and he lists another that is 550g.

Sweet. My big bro has an 07 FZ1. I think I'll remove his bar ends and weigh them. If they're heavier, I'll 'borrow' them. Or I'll just ask him to trade with me because big brothers do that kind of thing for their little sisters. ;)

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me know if the heavier bar ends help with handlebar vibration.

I opted not to get heavier bar ends than stock. Boneman mentioned he was pleasantly surprised that his Rizoma grips reduced vibration even though he used Rizoma's bar ends as well, which are significantly lighter than stock.

So I decided to try my new Rizoma grips as well before deciding on new bar ends. Like Boneman, I am VERY pleased with the amount of vibration reduction I got by changing out the grips alone.

New heavier bar ends will be expensive from my research, anywhere from $80-$140, for not much weight gain. The barsnake mentioned by some is only $35 + s/h. But I'd rather put the money toward new levers to match my new grips. :D

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
I am pretty sure the bar ends on a new gen fz1 are the same part number of the fz6 bar ends.

I weighed my brothers (from his FZ1) and they're 10.8 oz each. They look exactly the same and fit the same. Not sure where/why they eeked out an extra .2 oz....like it matters.