Well, it's official.....

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My tyres are getting low, but yesterday, on my first RDO, I went for an, ahem, spirited ride around the Adelaide hills.

Roughly 300kms later, I came back home, beat, but with a strange afterglow of satisfaction. (I've really gotta get out more)

Anyway, I wake up this morning and go out to wash my bike. (haven't done it for a few days!)

I look at the rear tyre, as I walk out the door and am shocked when I see this:

WP_000530_zps57715786.jpg

WP_000531_zpsb8aaaf99.jpg

There are patches around the centre line where the top layer of tread has come away!

Righto - that'd be time for new tyres then! (front was also down to the wear marker)

I rode the 65kms into town, paranoid the whole way that they'd let go, and finally purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s.

NOT!

No, no, no I say to myself, I MUST get the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact! (Humpy said so!)

Thankfully a few days ago, I messaged Metzeler to find stockist in and around Adelaide, as all of the ones I had already called were somewhat overpriced.

Metzeler got back to me and told me about a few I didn't know of, one of which being Total Motorcycles in Pooraka.

$430 later I have a fresh set of Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interacts.

Now, as you'll all know, one must take it relatively easy with new tyres, due to the mould release compound leaving them all slick and shiny - so I weave a bit and hit a few corners, in town, at sensible speeds.

The tyres feel planted, with not a hint of slip.

As I am an advocate of getting rid of the shiny/slippery as soon as possible, I picked my son up from school and went home via Belair Rd (locals will know it, nice twisty mountain range) and then via Eagle On The Hill (again, a nice twisty section with some nice corners)

Roughly 100kms later (!), we get home, after a nice jaunt around the Hills at about 75% and I am in love. (straight home would have been 35kms, but, ummm, you know - the hills beckoned!)

Definitely nice sticky rubber, even before all of the mould release has worn off.

Hopefully I get the mileage they advertise, but thus far, I am more than impressed!

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Not too bad mileage on these tyres, as the Continental ContiMotions (?) front got 16855kms (10473mi) and the Dunlop SportsMax GPR-100 rear got 17718kms (11009mi - but well past it)

P.P.S. My bike after aforementioned wash (and new rubber!)
WP_000539_zpsf63f4c5e.jpg

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah they're kinda special arent they?
I am lovin' mine
congrats on that price too was that fitted?surely not!

Dan is having a far reaching effect, and he has great taste in music too

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah they're kinda special arent they?
I am lovin' mine
congrats on that price too was that fitted?surely not!

Dan is having a far reaching effect, and he has great taste in music too

$430 Fitted and balanced!

Dunno about Dan's taste in music, but his choice in tyres is impeccable!

Cheers,
Rick

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn! You definitely got ALL of that rear tire used up! Well done.. glad it held up in the end (I probably would have swapped it out a lot sooner :D )

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn next time indeed rubber I'm riding 700 ks for that kinda deal
Well done Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn next time indeed rubber I'm riding 700 ks for that kinda deal
Well done Rick

You'd be more than welcome to bunk at my place!

As I've said in a previous thread, I was even considering getting tyres from Americaland and shipping them over, as we are so overpriced here in Oz.

Thankfully Metzeler came to the party and advised of Total Motorcycles in Pooraka as he was 10% - 40% cheaper than everyone else. (seriously!)

Cheers,
Rick

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$430 Fitted and balanced!

Dunno about Dan's taste in music, but his choice in tyres is impeccable!

Cheers,
Rick

So it would appear my constant bragging is paying off :D

Really glad you like them mate & look forward to a full review when you have ridden them in ;) As for the mileage , well I will take a pic of mine later with nearly 18000k's on the steer & there is still a good 4-5000 left in it :thumbup:

No my taste in music is wide & varied from Blues to Death Metal :eek: but MetallicA are my favs & lately there is nothing but this....................... :rockon:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PLM91kpe1g&feature=related]Mark Knopfler - Redbud Tree - YouTube[/ame]

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got home after another, ahem, necessary jaunt into them thar hills - and I love the difference in handling.

Not that I thought my last tyres were bad, but the difference is simply amazing.

Previous runs over Eagle on the Hill were ok, but I didn't feel fully comfortable - but lacked the ability to know why. (was it me, the tyres, or the bike? The tyres never slipped at all, they just didn't 'feel' as good)

Today, I did Eagle on the Hill on the way into town, and Unley Rd/Belair Rd through Crafers to Mt Lofty Summit Rd/Piccadilly Rd on the way back from town, with my young son on the back, and scraped the pegs both sides - my bike turns in better, and definitely feels more planted on the twisties.

The tyres are 256kms old now, and have about 5mm of chicken strip either side.

Simply 'Loving It'!

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits, Metallica et al, are DEFINITELY on my faves list - so you win there too Humpy!

EDIT 2: As for the tyres, in an independent test, the Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact tyres stopped the test bike, in horrendously wet test conditions 4m (over 13ft sooner than the same bike fitted with the next best, Michelin Pilot Road 3, tyres, and lapped the wet test circuit over a second quicker than the Pilot Road 3s)

Sure, we all may not be racing in the wet, but that kind of traction overhead can not be ignored. (and the Metzeler tyres haven't EVER delaminated like the Pilot Powers (verified by Michelin) and the Pilot Road 3s (rumoured but ignored by Michelin, except for the big time lawyer they paid to hush it all up)

Last edited: