We've got a race here in MA, don't we?

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the bluest of blue states, we've got a senatorial race of grand proportions. As you may know, Ted Kennedy passed away not long ago, and we now have a special election next Tuesday to decide his successor. In what should have been a complete and utter shoe-in for the democrat candidate, the moderate, fiscal conservative Republican, Scott Brown, has an actual shot at the office. Rasmussen and PPP have called this a dead heat. I'm a small "L" libertarian, but baby steps...

Scott Brown could be the 41st vote on health care, but more importantly, cap and trade, etc.

I couldn't be happier. And I'll be working the phones this weekend. Go Scott! :BLAA:

btw, favorite part of last night's debate:

Gergen lofted softball questions to Martha Coakley, but when he tried to trip up Brown, he ended up with egg on his face.

"Are you willing to say 'I'm gonna be the person, I'm going to sit in Teddy Kennedy's seat, and I'm going to be the person who's going to block it [health care] for another 15 years?'" asked Gergen.

Brown responded,

"With all do respect it's not the Kennedy's seat, it's not the Democrats seat, it's the peoples seat."

Last edited:

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I almost wish I was still a Mass resident. I love Brown's quote, and I feel like the sense of entitlement for corrupt politicians in MA, who just happen to all be democrats but the same would be true if they were from another party, might actually get a wake up call from this. Even if Brown loses this gave them a big scare, maybe they won't take things for granted quite so much.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This race is unbelievable, a national sensation. Martha Coakley is running the dirtiest campaign I have ever seen, while Scott Brown is taking the refreshing strategy of staying above-board.... And it's working! While Brown is not attacking, Coakley and the DNC are now looking at possible criminal charges for an ad they ran suggesting Brown wouldn't support rape victims, and a lawsuit from UPS for another. Brown's now ahead in almost every poll, including Coakley's own internal polls.

I went to two rallies today for Brown and the energy is palpable. I don't think Obama knows the political risk he is taking on by coming into town tomorrow to stump for Martha.

A few of my favorite videos from the campaign:

It's the people's seat:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJEEQHOnI2Q]YouTube - "It's The People's Seat."[/ame]

Example campaign ad (as always, class):
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnZw6sm_yAY&feature=channel]YouTube - "Hey, Dad"[/ame]

Response to attack ads:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoZv0QL6q7k]YouTube - Scott Brown's response to Coakley attack ad[/ame]

And we can hope:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nEoW-P81-0]YouTube - Massachusetts Miracle[/ame]

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently the polls are increasingly in his favor, this could be huge. I think they'd still weasle out some sort of health care bill even if Brown wins, but it would be a bad bill and give them more problems than if nothing passed at all.

Can you imagine what might happen if Obama stood up at this point and said something like: "My fellow Americans, I have an admission to make. This current health care bill is not what we set out to do. It does not solve the real problems that we are facing, and it does not fullfill the promises I have made to you. In our rush to pass reform we have lost sight of our goals, and produced something that sadly falls far short of them. The polls all show that you the people do not support the current bill, and I am listening. Because of this I will not sign this current bill, not until I am satisfied that we have produced a real, sustainable solution to the rising costs and lack of coverage for the less fortunate among us. We will not give up the fight. I have three more years (;)) to get it right, and so we will start again. Only this time we will need the support of the moderates to pass it. We will need the trust and support of the people to pass it. We will need to fullfill the promise of transparency so that everyone knows what we are voting on, and so that everyone knows why. We will need to work together with Republicans and moderate Democrats to pass a bill that is actually good for the American people as a whole, not just for the insurance industry, not just for the poor, but for the middle class, for small businesses, for our nation."