Where does this piece go? And other noob questions

mrbigjeep

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, just bought my first bike a few weeks back. My experience is riding a dirt bike one time lol. Only rode a few times so far...now that the intro is out of the way...I dropped the bike starting out in wet grass right after we got it off the trailor:eek:

Anyway it snapped the mirror off (replaced it) and we found this rubber piece lying in the grass as well. Being new to bikes, I don't have the slightest clue where it goes. Below is a few pics and a pic of my new to me bike

image_zps4ae45a31.jpg

image_zps704a9292.jpg

image_zpsc836ffb9.jpg

image_zpsc5854ad5.jpg

Next up, I've noticed several times (but not always) that its hard to get all the way back down to first gear. I have to hit the lever several times to get all the way to first even when it's already in neutral. Could this be a clutch adjustment issue? I was told the bike has a new clutch. It does shift fine when riding. Maybe slightly notchy but it up shifts perfectly fine. The slight notchiness may be normal, I'm not sure since its the only bike I've rode and I really don't even know if u could call it notchy. It also downshifts fine when riding btw. Maybe it's just me.

Lastly, when I took off the wind shield to replace the mirror I couldn't get the bottom most screw (goes in from bottom) started back. Is this screw longer than the other windshield screws? Or possible the insert is stripped? The screw itself looked fine but it will push in all the way without threading it.

Sorry for long post, thanks!!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum!
I don't think that part came from your bike but I've never had mine completely apart. There is nothing under the tank or in the fairing of that nature but I could be mistaken.

As for the clutch, they are much happier with some lube on the cable. They pull easier and due to the narrow friction point, have much better feel when lubed with motor motor oil. If you don't have a FSM (Factory Service Manual) ask for one. Also there is a guy on here who sells cable lube kit so no real disassembly is needed. Anyway - the bike is known for a big clunk into gear and tight friction spot. Change the engine oil and see if that helps.

Stay off the grass and be safe!

Last edited:

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyway it snapped the mirror off (replaced it) and we found this rubber piece lying in the grass as well. Being new to bikes, I don't have the slightest clue where it goes. Below is a few pics and a pic of my new to me bike

image_zps4ae45a31.jpg

image_zps704a9292.jpg

image_zpsc836ffb9.jpg

image_zpsc5854ad5.jpg

Goes next to the seat latch, please excuse the dirt... :ban:

Yamahaboyz

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Lastly, when I took off the wind shield to replace the mirror I couldn't get the bottom most screw (goes in from bottom) started back. Is this screw longer than the other windshield screws? Or possible the insert is stripped? The screw itself looked fine but it will push in all the way without threading it.

If I remember correctly, that's a bit of a PITA to do, lucky for me I went naked and haven't looked back.
There's a little rubber piece/spacer that the screw slides through before it catches the threads. The bottommost part of the visor tends to hit that as you're trying to slide the windscreen back far enough. I think you need to try and squeeze that rubber piece up as you slide the windscreen in, then it should start threading. Another pair of hands could be useful here, make sure that the weather stripping along the side of the windscreen isn't catching somewhere also.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Not being able to shift into first from neutral sometimes is actually quite normal on sequential transmissions like motorcycles use. Just give the bike a little push forward and it should drop right into gear.

Your instructor in the MSF course should go over that in the class... Did you take one? If not you should. :thumbup:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Not being able to shift into first from neutral sometimes is actually quite normal on sequential transmissions like motorcycles use. Just give the bike a little push forward and it should drop right into gear.

Your instructor in the MSF course should go over that in the class... Did you take one? If not you should. :thumbup:

or let the clutch out and pull it back in and it should go

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like everything is working properly. The FZ6 has a very clunky gearbox so even with new synthetic oil you will hear a clunk every time you go up or down a gear. Especially from neutral into first when just warming up.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
or let the clutch out and pull it back in and it should go

Not so Mate. Due to the clunky nature of the box, you might need to rock the bike back or forward a bit, to turn the wheel. (which in turn rotates the front sprocket)

Easiest way to ride, is to make sure you're always in first before the wheels stop. (like coming up to lights). This also has the added benefit of you being able to ride away from danger, without having to fiddle with the gears. (like a car coming up behind you, at the lights - you can just ride off, rather than having to change into an appropriate gear)

In other words, what you're describing in entirely normal.

Cheers,
Rick

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The bottom of the windscreen uses the same grommet as the 4 top screws. It may have fallen out. I had the same issue on my 05 the 1st time I took the shield off. They do not list it on the parts diagram but all 5 are the same and they are cheap. I can send you the part number later if needed. Look to see if there is anything in the hole under the nose. If you have only a big plastic hole then it fell out

mrbigjeep

Reaction score
Visit site
man you guys are super helpful,

thanks everyone! all that info helped a lot.

and no i havent taken a course but i've decided it should definitely be atop my list

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: aboard.....I was going to mention how helpful all our members are, but I think you know that already! :rockon:

Be safe & have fun with the new ride