Why Ad Blocking is devastating to the sites you love

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I read this article on Ars about ad blocking software, I use mozilla with Ad-block Plus. But the article made me rethink this and I've decided to start enabling ads on my favorite sites. One of the points made is even if you never click an ad the ad still generates revenue. I know some ads are very annoying but I think if you let the site owners know they would probably do something about it. I think they would want a static ad other than users disabling ads all together. A lot of times site owners don't know about annoying ads because they are generated from another service. Anyway whatever makes you happy.

Why Ad Blocking is devastating to the sites you love

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
The only ads that really make me want to pilot my FZ6 into a bridge embunkment are the ones for, "lowermybills.com". You know with the dancing women, or, the unwashed toothless losers that are popping up everywhere. I'm not alone, I googled it and there are actually blogs devoted to the hatred for these ads. Anybody seen them?

Last edited:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
The web used to be a nice place; then the marketers came a polluted it. Ad block removes the smog.

I understand that this is how some sites stay afloat but as rjo3491 alluded to, many ads are just plain annoying and spoil it for everyone.

For sites I care about, I will be more conscious about blocking ads.

Dennis

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't adblock, because I really don't go to many sites with obnoxious ads. However, I have never clicked on an ad on a site. If I see something that interests me in an ad, which is never, I search for it on my own.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
The ones that bug me the most are the intellitxt ads. If i'm randomly mousing around a page I don't want ads popping up under whatever I'm reading. I use adblock primarily for this since it annoys me so much. The ones on here that go to the sister forums aren't through intellitxt and aren't gigantic, so I don't block them. Whether or not the site gets revenue from them I don't know.

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
If you are determined to block ads and still want to support the site, just make sure you aren't using a proxy-based blocker. If you are, the ad wont even load and the display will not count for the person displaying the ads.

CSS based ad blockers are great because the ad is still sent to your browser and will show in the source of the page, but you have the block set to "hidden" so you don't actually see it. To any ad tracking software, the ad is displayed as normal and the host is given credit for the display. Definitely the best of both worlds.