Why isn't my FZ6 selling?

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All! I haven't been very active on here in quite awhile. I hope everybody is well.

I am trying to sell my FZ6 and I'm not getting any bites. Here is the ad on Craigslist. Am I asking too much? Describing it poorly?

I delete and repost the ad often so that link probably won't work after a day or so. Here's the ad:

2006 Yamaha FZ6 - 600CC Versatile Sport Bike - $2300

For Sale - 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (red) in good condition

40,000 miles (That's nothing for these bikes. They regularly exceed 100-150k with routine maintenance.)

This bike is fast and it handles great. It is not a full sportbike though. The riding position is pretty upright making it very comfortable for long days in saddle. Many call it the "Swiss Army Knife" of motorcycles. It really is that versatile. And it's still pretty sexy after ten years.

The good:
-Tires were replaced recently
-Aftermarket Corbin seat is in fabulous condition and is very comfortable.
-Wired for heated gear
-All maintenance up to date and performed by owner
-Clean title
-Fun to ride, fast, comfortable and reliable machine
-Starts, runs and rides perfectly
-Includes SW Motech mounting frame for hard sided saddle bags

The less good:
-It has been dropped once. This was in a grassy field at very low speed so the damage was minor, but the fairing is a little cracked on the right side. (You can't see this unless you are close and it does not affect performance.) I will add a close up picture of this ASAP.
-inspection sticker and plates are both expired (It should pass inspection no problem. Everything is in good order.)

The bottom line is this is a great bike that is priced to sell. I'm only selling it so I can get something different.

========================================
Other pics are in the ad. Here's one for reference:

========================================

Here is a great description of the 2006 FZ6 from topspeed.com (2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer | motorcycle review @ Top Speed)

Multipurpose, go-anywhere do-anything middleweight; the FZ6 is just as happy taking you to work, for a brisk sport ride or on a weekend tour.
Style and performance: Controlled Fill aluminum frame, a high-tech half fairing and an undertail exhaust are just a few of the FZ6's upscale components.
Super-light and compact fuel-injected YZF-R6 engine is tuned for enhanced midrange performance as well as strong revvability.

Continue Reading
New for 2006:

Even better finish quality of the upper fairing, frame, engine and swingarm back up the FZ6's outstanding style and performance.
Engine:
600cc liquid-cooled 16-valve DOHC four cylinder engine.
Group fuel injection combines simplicity with excellent response and performance.
Powerful 32-bit processor and 4-jet bidirectional injectors negate the need for the R6's suction-piston vacuum assist system and are 75 percent lighter.
Six-speed gearbox with triangulated input and output shafts, heavy-duty clutch and through-the-frame shifter for years of precise, positive shifting.
Stainless steel underseat exhaust system with heat shield looks cool and doesn't interfere with passengers or luggage.
Acoustic analysis of the downdraft intake tract and exhaust produce a bike that sounds as cool as it looks.
Large radiator with ring-type fan for excellent cooling capacity.
Yamaha Air Induction System, along with a metal honeycomb type catalytic converter, let the FZ6 pass strict EU2 and CARB emissions standards.
Chassis/Suspension:

Strong and very light Controlled Fill die cast aluminum frame is made from only two pieces, which bolt together at the steering head and in the swingarm pivot area.
Five-point stressed-member engine mounting design consists of two crankcase mounts per side and one mount on the left side of the cylinder head for excellent strength and light weight.
Placing the engine's crankshaft axis close to the FZ6's roll axis aids quick handling and light, positive steering.
25 degrees of rake, 3.8-inch trail and 56.7-inch wheelbase for quick handling and excellent tracking.
Single shock linkageless rear suspension is simple and light with sport-biased damping tuned for a controlled, progressive feel; extruded aluminum swingarm is 23.2 inches long for reduced chain-pull effect, further bolstering the FZ6's outstanding handling.
Placing the battery under the fuel tank and behind the steering head helps achieve 51 percent front wheel weight distribution and excellent handling.
43mm, wide-set fork tubes for excellent rigidity and confident braking performance.
Single-piece upper triple clamp/handlebar mount with tubular handlebar for excellent front-end feel, feedback and light steering; 35-degree steering lock means excellent maneuverability in traffic.
Extremely light YZF-R6-type five-spoke wheels keep unsprung weight low for improved suspension action and handling, acceleration and deceleration.
Thick dual seat offers exceptional solo or two-up comfort; passenger grab rails and bungee attachment points.
Additional Features:

Upright, comfortable riding position with great weather protection. Light, effortless handling for urban use, comfortable long-distance cruising, and serious sport riding too.
LCD two-color instrument display with integrated bar-type tachometer on the left, and numerical speedometer in the center--also two tripmeters, clock, fuel, intake air temperature and water temperature gauges, and usual indicator lights.
120/70-ZR17 and 180/55-ZR17 radial tires complement the FZ6's modern look, and its increased torque and great handling fully exploit the superb grip they provide.
Large windscreen provides good protection and minimal noise; anti-reversion panels on each side of the fairing reduce turbulence.
Dual 12V 60/55-watt multireflector headlight gives a sleek, R1-type profile for superb aerodynamics and visibility.
Completely unique, CAD-drawn fuel tank meets the needs of style, handlebar clearance and tactile feel in one beautiful package crafted from high-stretch titanium-rich alloy.
Sporty, taillight design reduces both weight and size while providing excellent visibility.
Centerstand for easier maintenance.
Standard toolkit and U-lock storage under the seat.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Way too much info.

Wash & wax the bike to make it looks as best as possible. Clean and lube the chain.

As a potential owner, the initial condition of it tells how well it was taken care off.

Loose the mileage off the ad... When they ask, tell them, but your scaring folks away posting that..

Keep it simple, ie;

2006 Yamaha FZ6, 600cc.

Great starter or experienced rider bike.

Upright seating with rock solid engine.

Always maintained, 45 MPG city
Excellent condition (or good condition),

Clear title, $2,500 OBO (give a little wiggle room to come down so they feel like their getting a good deal)

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The price might be too high. I don't know much about the VA region, but it may not be a hot market.

1) I bought my 2007 Fz6 about 3 years ago for $2100-$2500 (I forget exactly, now) and that bike had ~16k miles. I live in GA, a hot motorcycle market, but I bought the bike off season (for selling) in the Fall around Sept - Nov.
2) 40k miles actually is a lot of miles in most people's mind. The average sport style bike on eBay, in my experience, has less than 20k miles. Much above that and resale value hurts. You might try changing your description from sport bike to touring bike; Gold wings regularly sell on eBay in 50k+ mile range, no problem.

I'm spitballing. Good luck with sale! I hope you can get some bites. Hang in there and I'm sure someone will come along.

LazrFazr

Reaction score
Visit site
Update the plates and inspections. Nobody likes to deal with more than they have to at the dmv. Plus it's ready to ride. Gives the impression that the bike has been sitting too long.

Sent from phone internets

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought the price was cheap as hell. In Canada a fz6 with 40,000km will usually fetch anywhere between $3000.00-$4500.00 CND. And we only have a few good months of riding! Although I guess $2500USD is worth about $3500CND. I guess it equals out.

Last edited:

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed on plates and inspection. Also agreed too much info, and on pricing at $2500 - it's weird but if you price too low, it can be viewed with suspicion - it's a curious psychology in terms of pricing and what appeals/seems desirable to the consumer. You want them in the door, and let the bike draw them in from there - but you gotta get them _in_ that door first.

Lastly, I'll gently quibble on the pictures you provided. Pics 1 and 2 - and to a much lesser degree Pic 3 - are skewed in their perspective. If I'm a newbie who isn't familiar with the FZ6, it is hard to truly get an idea of the shape of the bike based on what you show. Take a straight-on shot, one directly from the side - no artistic angles please. Do you know a buddy who is 'into' photography? Let them take the pictures (heck, there are ppl who will 'stage' your house if you are trying to sell it) - I know _I_ have a terrible eye for pictures, just no talent for it. Lastly, maybe get a plain background... a wall, a garage door... something to not take the focus away from the bike. The FZ6 is an attractive bike, but your photos don't do it justice IMO.

Good luck. If I was in the market, I'd chking this out (I actually bought mine in VA, near Winchester, and I live in Philadelphia - totally worth the drive).

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
one more who agrees with the plate / inspection thing. my state requires plates but no "inspection." however the sound of it is not good. a buyer might figure "if in good shape and well cared for, why no inspection or plates?" it may give some the impression you and / or the bike cannot be trusted

the price is low enough imo. even without the inspection / plates

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what Virginia's inspection/registration process is like, but if I see expired registration on a bike in California, it's immediately gone from consideration. Too much headache and potential expense involved.

The mileage is higher than most people want, but in my market your price is good. Hard to find an FZ6 here for under $3k unless it's a salvage title.

rcruz17

Reaction score
Visit site
So much copy and paste in post makes me not want to read and classify it as a spambot in my mind. I dont know how it works in the state you are in but in MA i would have to get new plates and inspection as new owner so it doesnt deter me.

KHarper4289

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what Virginia's inspection/registration process is like, but if I see expired registration on a bike in California, it's immediately gone from consideration. Too much headache and potential expense involved.

The mileage is higher than most people want, but in my market your price is good. Hard to find an FZ6 here for under $3k unless it's a salvage title.

Virginia is the worst.

You keep your plates when you sell the vehicle. The new potential owner has to fill out a DMV form and get a temp paper plate good for 24 hours to ride it home.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all! I took your advice and got it inspected and renewed the plates. Funny enough, a very serious buyer contacted me before I had a chance to update the ad with that info and some of the other suggested changes. He is paying the full asking price and picking it tomorrow.

Side note: I actually find the Virginia DMV very easy to work with. As a matter of fact, I stupidly misplaced the title (why it is not in my Yamaha folder in the filing cabinet I'll never know) and it took $10 and a ten minute visit to the DMV to get a replacement. In a lot of states that would have been much more expensive and time consuming.

gbose

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations, Teeter! I thought that was a very competitive price and a very good looking bike. What are you getting to replace it?