Yamaha's new MT-07

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So Yamaha have introduced the MT-07.

It's a parallel twin with 699cc displacement.

To me it looks like it's going to compete with Suzuki's SV650, Honda's Cb500s line etc.

I figure that the price has to be about $5,000. It looks pretty stylish and newer riders might be quite interested in it.

As for myself I am curious to test ride the MT-09. I am addicted to the Triple cylinder engine characteristic ever since I test rode the Speed Triple.

EICMA 2013: 2014 Yamaha MT-07 And MT-09 Street Rally » Motorcycle.com News

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope we get the bike in the USA.:thumbup:

In 5 years there will be a nice used bike market for mid weight bikes.:cheer:

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Brutal promo video.....[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQRb6-BoGg]Yamaha MT-07 Rise Up Your Darkside Official video Full HD - YouTube[/ame]

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
and a new version of the MT09

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpN4I2iLSY0]Yamaha MT-09 Street Rally Official Video - YouTube[/ame]

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
I want it. I want it now. Looks like a slightly more street friendly version of the 09, even a tad lighter, and you can rev the snot out of it w/o fear of flipping over on the almost fz1 powered fz-09.

Then again I wouldn't mind the 09 either :thumbup:.

Thanks for posting!

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I want it. I want it now. Looks like a slightly more street friendly version of the 09, even a tad lighter, and you can rev the snot out of it w/o fear of flipping over on the almost fz1 powered fz-09.

Then again I wouldn't mind the 09 either :thumbup:.

Thanks for posting!

Yeah, parallel twin cylinder engine is super comfortable. I would say probably the easiest and friendliest practical engine. Power delivery is very linear.

I am like V-twins and triples. I enjoy my v-strom's v-twin probably more than FZ6's I4 engine. It doesn't have the same HPs but the torque is pretty similar with the exception that I don't have to keep the engine in high RPMs to hit the peak power.

I would say that triple cylinder engines are the best compromise between the twins and I4s for everyday street riding and even twisties on the weekend.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
I hate to be this guy but I gotta say NO.

the frame looks like it's from a 1st gen FZ1, the exhaust looks like it's fully welded on and there looks to be a potential conflict between the exhaust and proper foot position on the rearset......

It's too close in CC's to the 850 and it desperately needs to compete with an SV650 just in case they haven't noticed how well those bikes sell over here. One of the big reasons for it is the race classes they can run in which this one wont be able to.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
okay scratch that....this can and will compete with the SV650 (Lightweight twins up to 700cc) and it's power specs look good out of the showroom too. :thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
looks like a lot of recycled FZ6 components (not surprising I guess)

similar engine to the honda NC700?

tbh I would be more tempted by the MT-09 too

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
So Yamaha have introduced the MT-07.

It's a parallel twin with 699cc displacement.

To me it looks like it's going to compete with Suzuki's SV650, Honda's Cb500s line etc.

I figure that the price has to be about $5,000. It looks pretty stylish and newer riders might be quite interested in it.

As for myself I am curious to test ride the MT-09. I am addicted to the Triple cylinder engine characteristic ever since I test rode the Speed Triple.

EICMA 2013: 2014 Yamaha MT-07 And MT-09 Street Rally » Motorcycle.com News

Don't do it unless you want to buy it. The bike is awesome and the engine is outstanding! I got the famous throttle tweek fix now... smooth and torquy ride. Love it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Don't do it unless you want to buy it. The bike is awesome and the engine is outstanding! I got the famous throttle tweek fix now... smooth and torquy ride. Love it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm curious, what is the fix? I've read all there is to read about the fz-09 and this is the single thing that scares me a bit ... Thanks!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious, what is the fix? I've read all there is to read about the fz-09 and this is the single thing that scares me a bit ... Thanks!

That's nothing to be honest. If you come from a I-4 like most of us. almost 45-50 ft.lb of torque right off idle takes few miles to get use to it. Combine that with a very aggressive throttle (mode A) with lean off throttle setting. That make a very sensitive throttle hard to manage. Bone stock you get use to it and it's not that big of a deal.

As of right now there's no fuel controller available but mine :Flip: I'm using the EJK performance controller from Dobeck... they use to build the Two Bro Juice I beleive. So all I had to do is tune the deceleration and Voila! No more twitchy throttle. There was a bit more to it since I had to tune my exhaust too. Dyno schedule on Thursday AM. :Flash:

The bike is great and super smooth to ride. Since I kept the O2 sensor in place the bike still get amazing MPG too. Like easy 50's at 70 MPH.

Little teaser, plenty more video on Youtube. http://youtu.be/qs_uHASwaVk

Last edited: