Need Help 04-06 Starter not spinning when mounted.

dahlstrand

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello!

I have some issues with the starter on my engine that is from a FZ6 from 04-06. I have a brand new starter that works well on the bench but when mounted on the engine without the gear connecting it to the flywheel it doesn't want to rotate. I'm using jumpers directly to the engine block and starter to remove relays and everything else but still nothing, just sparks.

So basically same setup as on the bench but nothing.

Hope someone has some nice advice on how to resolve or proceed!

Br Niklas

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another check…

Put the bike into the center stand and then place it into 6th gear. With some moderate force you should be able to rotate the wheel. If the wheel won’t move, you may have a stuck engine.

Has this bike been outside all winter?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe load testing the battery is in order? The starter may spin with no load but because the source applied is to weak and under load the starter will not turn. I would also check the starter brushes and armature. Inspect the commutator.

dahlstrand

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for being a bit inactive, I have done some new investigations and managed to find the issues!

I was very confused when the starter didn't move without a load when mounted to the engine, but loosening the two bolts in the back made it work! So my assumption is that the tolerances on the new starter is not that great and that the rotor was binding internally.

Second issue is that the gasket broke when taking the cover off so it as assembled with a liquid gasket, making the intermediate gear bind as well!

So not torquing the cover and loosening the bolts holding the starter makes it work as expected :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond and come with ideas!