04 FZ6...be my sounding board

ordnance3466

Reaction score
Visit site
All,

I currently ride a 07 FZ6. I am looking at picking up an 04 FZ6 for parts/project bike. I currently dont have a project bike and need something to tear apart.

Details:

-04 FZ6 in excellent condition (cosmetic and mechanical). It has 19K miles.
-Puig windshield
-penske three way adjustable shocks
-frame sliders
-Corbin seat
-fender eliminator

I have the seller down to 2,700$ Which seems like a good deal considering the mods, however my concern is the interchangeability of the parts. Mainly I want to swap the corbin seat and the penske shock onto my 07. From the research I have done, this seems to be possible on the seat but I have not got the warm and fuzzy about the shock interchangeability.

Your thoughts? Any other concerns about the 2004s? I asked the seller about the TPS recall and am waiting to hear back.

Thanks

Dan

ordnance3466

Reaction score
Visit site
I should have been a bit more clear...I buy fix and sell bikes...have sold 14 in the past two years. So after I swap the seat and shock I will play with the bike a bit and then potentially sell it down the road. I like having a project I can mess with, so that is why I am looking to get the bike and not just the parts.

Hoosier4444

Reaction score
Visit site
You do projects? I have a kawasaki 500r that stopped running and I decided to buy a more reliable bike than spend the money to fix it. Looking for $800 to sell in current condition. PM me if interested or anyone interested for that matter

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Everything of your list, except the windshield, is interchangeable :cheer:

Grtz,

Degake

p.s. What do you mean with a "project bike"??? :D

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Shock should fit - I put a 07 swingarm and shock on my bike. Other than being newer and therefore a little firmer there was no difference. Bought the swingarm with the shock so put it on. The shock would be a good swap for your bike - would need to do something with the front as well. The seat should be a direct swap. I have an 07 seat and cannot tell the difference.

ordnance3466

Reaction score
Visit site
You do projects? I have a kawasaki 500r that stopped running and I decided to buy a more reliable bike than spend the money to fix it. Looking for $800 to sell in current condition. PM me if interested or anyone interested for that matter

Never had a 500R. Had three 250s though. However, my days of carburetors are over if I can help it. they are more of a pain then they are worth sometimes. syncing 4 carbs on older sport bikes gets old and messy with homemade syncing tools.

Just out of curiosity, when you say your 500r stopped running what happened?

Hoosier4444

Reaction score
Visit site
I took it into town one day and it died. Then I could not get it started. Trucked it in to get it serviced and they said the crank was loose. My father is an aircraft mechanic and experienced motorcycle rider so I had him take a look at it. Both services and my father said it was fixable but it would take about $1500 and I had enough money in savings that I thought it better to invest in a more reliable model than pump money into the kawi. I will post pics of it's current condition later, but it is still in my home town garage.

ordnance3466

Reaction score
Visit site
An update...

So I pulled out 3000 from the bank, called insurance and got a quote to add this bike as a second bike ($25) for the year....arranged to take off friday to go get it....then....I get an email from the guy, "Sorry, I sold the bike". This is after we had agreed to meet up and all, but I get it, if someone showed up with cash it is hard to turn them away. Just a bit unfortunate.

SO I have 3K to blow on a project bike...and the search for another FZ6 continues....

Hoosier, As for your 500r, if your motor is blown it would not cost 1500 to get you bike back up and running. Your best bet is to get a replacement motor should be around 400-600$ just ball parking it. I had to do this for a 93 FZR...I blew the motor and had found a replacement for $500. Installed and was GTG.

Hoosier4444

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a ton. Like I said I'll be posting it soon as a project for anyone interested and then again sometime this summer if I get it running.