'07 FZ6 Output Shaft Oil Seal Leak

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha! I'm familiar with that exact issue as I used to own an '07 SV1000S. I used to pull the cover and clean the push rod every oil change. Sounds like it might be a good idea to replace both seals while you're in there. Good luck :thumbup:

I'm going to put a rubber spring boot on the rod so it wont get crud on it ever again. Don't know why Suzuki didn't do it in the first place!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
According to the previous owner, some debris got caught around the front sprocket/output shaft and abraded the seal, eventually causing the leak. You can see the first pics I posted of the original seal showing bare metal, whereas the new seal has an out rubber coating.

Was trying to figure out how it go so shiny. Makes sense now.
Thanks!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to put a rubber spring boot on the rod so it wont get crud on it ever again. Don't know why Suzuki didn't do it in the first place!

Something like a Caliper pin boot?? Does it just rotate? Or does it plunge a small amount?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something like a Caliper pin boot?? Does it just rotate? Or does it plunge a small amount?

Great idea! I'll bet it would work. The stroke is pretty short. I would guess less than 3/4 inch and the exposed amount of rod is probably about 1-1/2 inch..

Pete91

Reaction score
Visit site
Received the parts from the dealer and replaced the seal without any trouble.

Removing the seal: I wasn't able to pull the collar so I wasn't able to use the seal puller tool. Instead I used a center punch, small drill bit, and screwed in a shallow screw and pulled the seal out.

Installing new seal: I lubed the center area of the new seal with synthetic grease and used a soft faced mallet to set the seal in place, and seated the seal by driving it in with a section of 2" ABS pipe and a dead blow hammer.

No issues thus far, leak appears to be resolved. I'll still be keeping an eye on the area in case the seal begins to weep/leak again. Thanks again for all the help!

Could you please write what is the size of this seal?