08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
NP!
Report back your throughts on the drawing that comes with them!
Keeping in mind that a small 9volt battery will power them on to defend what should be obvious in their drawing. lol

Black is ground and the supplied load resistors are for blinkers only. So if you have an electronic flasher relay, you don't need the load resistors. :thumbup:

Damn it... The bug bit me.
I went ahead and ordered the rear signals also. Probably could have saved some dough if I'd ordered together as you did. Oh well! Should be a fun few hours hooking them all up. Also ordered some splitters to be able to use both the signal-integrated tail light and these signals.
Still not sure how I'll tie into the connector for the tail/brake light. Can't seem to find a splitter for that connector. Hoping the solution will be evident once I get into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ HAHA!
You need pic of the brake connector? That sight in the sticky "where you found your parts" electrical section has everything....

My goal remains; don't molest the oem harness so I use oem connections always.

Let me know if you need a pic...

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed... Don't molest the OEM harness! I was just perusing the "where you found your parts" thread as a matter of fact. If you have a pic really available that would be great.
Also found a bunch of threads where peeps had to use diodes to get the blinkers/integrated tail light to play nice together. May have to get a couple just in case....

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed... Don't molest the OEM harness! I was just perusing the "where you found your parts" thread as a matter of fact. If you have a pic really available that would be great.
Also found a bunch of threads where peeps had to use diodes to get the blinkers/integrated tail light to play nice together. May have to get a couple just in case....

Here ya go....
Not real scientific but hopefully it helps. 3 conductor....

20170307_204721.jpg
20170307_204552.jpg

Me again, scroll down and look at these...

Corsa-technic.com
3-way Motorsport Connectors - Corsa Technic
3-Way Receptacle Kit
Item: HD090-3S
Contents: 1 receptacle, 3 socket contacts
Mfg: OEM Sumitomo
Family: HD 090 Unsealed Series
P/N: 6098-0241
Mating half of connector: HD090-3P
Typical Application:
[MENTION=19634]Ohendo[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Front signals came today, very impressed with the packaging from the Brits! Took a good 5 mins to open.
Tested with my spare battery to see what's what, all looks good. By the way, my kit came with the tear drop inserts...
98b0cf1b3801697f68a5696bac8dee70.jpg

1494100c0c206a9fcd63a1026dec7cdd.jpg

2d829f2c1811c23d5885be24d36f44b5.jpg

ff60e0e3058064c8db5db5dc8fd3da37.jpg

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
They are bright but now I am thinking about some dimming the front position lights while running the indicators. I have this impression that the white light somehow overpowers the yellow one. If I could dim the white for the time when the indicators work it would be great.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was somewhat on the fence about that very topic and your comment here has me leaning towards a solution to turn the DRL off during the time the indicator is actually on.

They draw so little current compared to the incandescent bulb they relace we can use a micro relay and at a glance the easy way is a relay per side (could be a solid state/electronic one too), but I'll noodle on a way to do it with one for both....

Keep an eye out for PN needed and wiring diagram. I'll post it here. Likely order through digikey although in the states amazoo ships everything you can imagine. If you go it alone and use a mechanical relay be sure to place a diode across the coil as the off cycle creates a high voltage spike that we don't need. Notice the bikes safety cutoff relay has diodes across all three of the relays it is controlling to squelch these spikes.

That said, I'll likely connect the pod lights to the same setup so they blink opposit the turn indicators vs just being on constantly.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I should have mentioned the rears come with 3 long "Y" configured wires for spliting. Plenty long enough to mount them on your helmet! Blah

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the still make the blinker genie which allows the DRL to switch off as indicators flash...

$25 for two and you're running. Blinky
I'll look for cheap relay and diode. A SPST normally closed relay would power the DRL. The signal wire would power the relays coil. When indicators flash, the DRL on that side would be interrupted.

Should be $11 or less for the 4 parts.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't the DRL only be interrupted during the off portion of the signal? Thinking you'd get an alternating DRL-Flasher-DRL-Flasher display.

Unless you grab the signal wire before the flasher relay.....

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Correct! Mostly. When signal is active DRL would be off. We will be visible!
I found the parts. Its like $5 total for everything. Sealed, moisture proof, shock proof, and rated to 90°c. Only for LED app tho as they are 1amp max current. Relay coil is 0.15 watts so the load on the indicator circuit is nil.

I'll post up later but digikey or mouser will have these;
$2.09, Omron G5V-1-T90, QTY 2, but can be done w one.
$0.17, 1N4007 or even 1N4005, QTY 2, if 2 relays are used.

Were you wanting DRL off for the duration the switch is active? You'd have to tap in at the flasher relay input power which you can do and this would work.

Edit: relay is on backorder both places.
Draws tiny more current and rated to 70C, contacts are not as good, but good for 5million cycles or more...
$2.82 Omron 653-G6L-1F-DC12
smaller package and back to SPST

Suggest sealing completed assembly in shrink wrap. Also the lower temp version of the first relay is available if you want to tap in above flasher it would be good choice.

Last edited:

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not so literate when it comes to electronics so I'll wait till you guys figure out the schematics. But I think it would look better (and don't know about the laws etc) if the DRL was dimmed for the whole blinking process. So maybe the dimmer might have some kind of time limiter - after 3 seconds without input signal from the indicator relay the dimmer turns off and DRL comes back.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dimming DRL vs off.
Try this if you have 300 to 500 ohm resistor, place the 1/4 watt resistor between the battery +12 the DRL input and see if it dims to a desired level. Just guessing here on values. It may need to higher or lower but because LED lighting is current driven vs voltage these lights may not operate in dim mode... not sure?

As for just turning DRL off while switch is active:
Easy. Tap our new relay power in before the bikes Flasher relay and the DRL can be off the entire time the bar switch is active. This includes hazards being on.

Edit:
Doing so wouldn't you *effect* both front lights?

Just now following you... =*)
No. Only the active indicator would have its DRL off. Not both DRL. It all depends how you want to do this but I don't want my pod lights off the entire time so my plan may be different.

I thought you wanted to Dim them!

Last edited:

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, my mistake. By dimming I understood switching them off. I personally think it would look better if the position lights were switched off completely during indicating and you plan to set them to flash by turns with the indicator light.

Your case makes it easier to install - can be done just by the indicator connectors while my idea needs leading a wire from the harness somewhere inside the bike.

I though that maybe some capacitor on the signal line for the relay would be enough to keep the relay in switched state long enough not to let the position lights turn back on between indicator flashes.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll just post 3 different types of connections and you can choose how you want it go. All are nearly the same amount of work and wire runs are short. We will need to solder and heat shrink wrap.

I have a faired bike and the flasher relay is right atop the wire looms in the fairing. If I tap into the flasher relay we pretty much just open and splice into DRL after the oem connector to interupt power. It is very easy to turn off as you desire....

PS timers are always better than home brewed capacitor setups as an load change, changes the delay.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
All right then. Good luck!

In my case I might just buy two of these :

Moduł przekaźnika z układem czasowym, opóźnienie wyłączenia do 10s, styk 10A/250VAC :: Automatyka- Elektronika- Przemysłowa

They keep the switched state up to 10seconds after signal is lost so it would suit my needs - I turn the indicator, first flash switches the position light off, every next flash resets the relay and after the indicator is off the position light comes back.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't say about the current draw. For the cost - around 5$