'09 ZX6R -- one year, 12K miles later

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
When I had to sell the FZ6 in '08, I was not terribly happy with the need. I'd finally gotten the suspension sorted out, and it was running like a top.

I knew as a result, I would not willingly go back to OEM non adjustable suspension.

When I got settled in VA, and we finally got my wife and household in, we got a good surprise with the income taxes.... "you do realize, this is a MOTORCYCLE?" My wife saw the look in my eye, and started looking at used bikes.

We checked out a number of YZFR6 and each one was heavily modified. I wanted something as near to stock as possible. Ended up with an '09 ZX6R with about 12K miles on it. The only thing I have done to it since I bought it has been to hang an OEM exhaust on it vs. the M4. Quiet, means I can go fast. I washed the K&N filter that was on the bike -- that was cheaper than buying another paper filter.

Over the past year, I have been adjusting the suspension to get it to ride comfortably without being so loose as to make it unsafe. Between those changes, and becoming strong enough in my core to enable me to live with the ergos, it's a good bike.

Just replaced the tires for the second time -- 9K was all I got on the Pirelli Angels.... hopefully I get more out of the Michellin Pilot 3's.

I've taken the bike through MSF ERC and MSRC twice now; I'd rather have a bit more steering lock than what this has, but I am far more comfortable with the bike this time around.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm having trouble with Photobucket at the moment.... I will get some photos up there to share this week.

I actually like the motor better with the OEM can on the system. Either way, the higher compression compared to the FZ6 makes it slightly more tractable on the bottom, and the rush as it winds out is stronger throughout the range. I had it about 8 months before I found out it has secondary injectors that 'hit' at 12K.

Roll on acceleration with my 210 lb + gear on board, the front can be skimming the ground all the way through 1st and 2nd. That's usually where I'll shut it down; it's over 85 MPH at that point. With stock gearing.

I honestly don't think anyone really needs more than what this size engine can produce. The exhaust by the rear axle is less of a problem than the heat under the seat was -- the fairing is shorter and smaller in cross section so there's less head buffet, the OEM fork and shock have (barely) enough adjustability to make me happy.

I would say the day to day handling on the ZX6 is directly comparable to the FZ6. The fuel light comes on when you've gone through 3 gallons... leaving 1 and change in the tank. I'm getting 40 MPG in somewhat spirited commuting, nearly 70 miles a day. Have to run high test to do it.

I'd lose the fairings, if it was clean enough to support that. I miss the ease of access, and I would love to have a centerstand again.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Thanks for sharing - had to go do some reading after that. 2 FI's per TB. Interesting. Any chance you have an opportunity to ride a later model R6 2012, 13 etc?

I rode one recently and the power delivery was so smooth throughout the entire band you'd never guess it was a race bike. It pulled down low better than our Fizzer and had the great punch at the top too. Instant throttle response and did I mention "the punch" lol....

It would be great if you had a chance to comment on an R6. Riding it had me looking up details as I thought the bottom would suck but it didn't!

EDIT: Not to derail your thread but take a look at these....
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2011models/2011-Yamaha-YZFR6.htm << Power delivery/performance write up is spot on!
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-Kawasaki-NinjaZX6R.htm

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
^^ Thanks for sharing - had to go do some reading after that. 2 FI's per TB. Interesting. Any chance you have an opportunity to ride a later model R6 2012, 13 etc?

I rode one recently and the power delivery was so smooth throughout the entire band you'd never guess it was a race bike. It pulled down low better than our Fizzer and had the great punch at the top too. Instant throttle response and did I mention "the punch" lol....

It would be great if you had a chance to comment on an R6. Riding it had me looking up details as I thought the bottom would suck but it didn't!

I rode comparable year R6's, the power, ride quality, and maneuverability was IMHO quite similar. As I rode the R6 first, it stuck in my mind that the seat had a serious tilt to the front of the bike. I had to physically hold my groin off of the tank. Between that, and the near impossibility to find one that hadn't already been tweaked to the point where it wouldn't necessarily pass state inspection really made me shy away.

The M4 in the picture is a glass pack ~ 18" long that bolts right onto the header/collector. The exit for the thing right behind the footpeg would heat up my foot significantly, and it melted my mesh riding pants as well.

Between that and being told politely by the LEOs twice (second time with a summons) that it was too fookin loud was enough to get me to be civil. I have a Secret Clearance I have to maintain, now.

The OEM system comes almost all the way to the back end of the bike, and there is a 'pre' chamber in front of the swingarm (as well as a power valve). It's much less obnoxious, now. When I would ride it to the base with the M4, the folks smoking outside could hear me over 2 miles away -- me trying to keep it quiet.

As delivered (day I bought it):
M4_closeupon09ZX6R_zps0a0c13b9.jpg

After I took photos to let the judge know I had swapped out the M4:
DSCN8134_zpsae053475.jpg

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The front brake lever feel on this thing is the best I've owned... I'm sure braided lines would make it even better -- at some point I will go there. It was enough to flush the DOT4 and refill with fresh stuff and use the bleeder at the MC to remove that last bubble to make me appreciate the setup. True 2 finger stoppie braking.

The rear looked like it had never been changed, with I flushed it a year ago. Lots of carbon looking black in the old fluid. It surprised me even more, when I changed it last week and it was just as black. Maybe it's getting cooked by the muffler?

High and lo speed compression adjustment on the OEM rear shock... It's amazing to me that I've gotten so much closer to an ideal setup for me without having to buy an Ohlins unit.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
That is one nice lookin' moto! Thanks for the review, makes me want one now. lol

I know some people will scoff, but the stock exhaust looks really good! One of the few factory exhausts that I like the look of. Much better than that tiny megaphone/ mini-resonator M4, that's for sure.

Was there any difference in insurance costs for that over the FZ6?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
That is one nice lookin' moto! Thanks for the review, makes me want one now. lol

I know some people will scoff, but the stock exhaust looks really good! One of the few factory exhausts that I like the look of. Much better than that tiny megaphone/ mini-resonator M4, that's for sure.

Was there any difference in insurance costs for that over the FZ6?

Too many things changed for me to say what the increase would be directly -- I'll ask my insurance agent here, what a comparable FZ6 would cost me (as the ZX6 is an '09, I can still do that)

The M4 was surprisingly well built, very solid construction and good materials. Just way too fookin' small to avoid annoying everyone within a mile or so of the bike at anything over idle speed.

The cosmetic cover on the OEM muffler makes the thing 'flow' far better than the actual muffler would. The construction of the piping itself is very industrial; the main reason it's so much quieter than the M4 has to do with the 'pre' chamber ahead of the swingarm, the power valve built into the neck of the final muffler, and the additional area resulting from both sections.... easily 5X over what the M4 reduced it to. The OEM system is probably 5-6 lbs heavier than the M4.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Nice looking bike mate :thumbup: My B-I-L has the same model & M4 shorty...... The sound !!! :eek: :eek: That is seriously LOUD :D

I couldn't ride the thing without earplugs. Loud at idle -- positively shrieking at redline. Mid band, the sound carried near two miles. Much too loud, in my view.

I won't lie, I enjoyed it right up to the point where I was told politely to make it quieter.....:D

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I want your front fork. :BLAA:

Were it me, I would look for one from a '13 rather than the '09-'12 model. They used softer springs in the '13 and changed the adjuster locations to where you can tweak it all from up top.

The FZ6, with straight rate .95 kg springs and modified damping is not a bad set up at all. The rear shock absolutely s*cks. Wayyy undersprung. Ohlins is your best friend, there.