1-2 shifting technique

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been wringing her out pretty good lately. One thing I'm having some trouble with is smooth 1-2 shifting when really punching it. I usually shift really fast (preload shifter, quick clutch release), and at the higher RPM's the bike wants to shoot out from under me (lurches forward). It really shifts hard and it does not feel confidence inspiring (almost wants to wheelie out).
It's a lot better on the other shifts, getting progressively smoother as I shift higher.
Any tips/techniques for hard acceleration shifting on the bike would be appreciated. Maybe it's just me and I need more time practicing hard acceleration.

let the clutch out more slowly...it might rub a bit more, but you can get a smooth 1-2 with full open throttle.

me: open throttle all the way, preload shifter, clutch in (I have it set to move maybe 1cm to disengage the clutch), shift quick, and release the clutch slowly....you'll feel the bike pulling on the half-engaged clutch and once the bike gets new speed it'll fall into place smoothly....

works for me anyways.

After break in mileage, try Royal Purple Max Cycle oil. It's pricey, but your
bike will run cooler and shift slicker too. At least mine did.
Oh yeah, it makes the sticky clutch a little smoother also.
I believe it's a good product, other than the price.

After break in mileage, try Royal Purple Max Cycle oil. It's pricey, but your
bike will run cooler and shift slicker too. At least mine did.
Oh yeah, it makes the sticky clutch a little smoother also.
I believe it's a good product, other than the price.

With the 1000's of threads/posts on oil I have been wondering if anyone had ever used this oil!! Heard a lot about it on the HotRod TV shows (the car engine Royal Purple!), nobody on this Forum has ever said a wink about it.
Thanks for that!!:D
Get it at places like Autozone?

I have been clutchless shifting since the first mile on my bike. If you are really getting on it like WOT it seems really smooth. It can be clunky clutchless if you are just crusing along

ok i will play with it next time im out some where I can get on it.

Back