12000 mile service cost in the UK

Personally if it's not a valve adjustment I would not go anywhere near the service dealer and just do the service yourself. Plus, make sure the dealer knows exactly what kind of maintenance you want and get an estimate up front on the cost. I have heard to many horror stories, plus it seems labor rates have gone up a bit lately.

I do the same with my cars and have no issues. I can do almost anything on a car except I let dealer do timing belts on cars like my honda or toyota. I have a 1982 datsun that I do all my maintenance because it's my fun car so it can sit if I screw it up and need more time to work on it.

I may learn to value adjust on the FZ if it's not too bad. I do value adjust on my datsun so I have some of the equipment and know how.

Can anybody give me a rough idea of cost in the UK for a 12000 mile service so I don’t get shafted?.

Cheers

Think that I paid around £140 from my Yamaha dealer for the 12,000 ml service, and that might have included valve adjustment. My last service that I had was around twenty one thousand miles which included new air filter and MOT the cost of that was £199. Now that the warranty has run out I will now service the bike myself unless something big crops up. :thumbup:

Definitely do it yourself.Cheaper and you know that it's been done right :thumbup:
The only time mine is going near a bike shop is for its valve adjustment,which I think is about 24K miles and that's only because if they balls it,then they can pay for the new engine.

I hate valves.I got my XR600R 180 degrees out the last time I did them and that cost me 300 quid to put right :rolleyes:

When mine came up for the 12000 mile service, I decided to let the shop do it, as I had no experience with bikes. I called the local shop, and they quoted £300 just for the labour!!! Needless to say, I went out and bought a Haynes manual, and did it all myself. It took me a little longer than the shop would have taken, but it was easy enough. I even changed my head bearings while I was at it.
I have tinkered around with cars since I was 9, so I am mechanically inclined. Seriously, it is alot easier than you think,and if you can get your hands on the tools, then give it a go.

Back