12V Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter - Naked Bike

F

FZ6 Naked!

I know there are some threads on this already, but maybe I'll hit on a point someone else missed. I really wanted to be able to charge my GPS while riding, so I decided to add an outlet. I have the naked model, so I couldn't add it to the fairing like most, but found a pretty good spot.

I advise having a nearly empty tank of gas before beginning.

Step 1 - Pull the seat so you can move the gas tank.

At this point, you can pivot out the back end and I found that shifting it back a few inches was all that was necessary.

Step 2 - Optional Step - Add the fuse to your adapter!

Step 3 - Figure out where you're going to run your wires. I decided to run the adapter from the battery to under my seat because the all-weather cap was garbage and I couldn't find anywhere externally that I like. The naked bike limits the options.

Step 4 - Get your cables the length you need. I went with 1 meter and it worked out exactly how long I needed it to be. This is a simple splice...red to red, black to black. Being a bit anal, I did a "Western-Union" splice and soldered, then shrink-wrapped, then some electric tape (my splices had some poking wires I wanted to make sure they'd stay hidden). To add a bit more strength and protection, I shrink-wrapped the length of the wire....it was a pain, but that nasally nerd-voice in my head isn't bugging me to do a better job now. Then add the ends for the connection to the battery. A quick note on the ends: I don't like the ones that I used. If I ever work on this setup again, I will use the full circle ends so that I don't have to worry about them coming off. Even tightening the connectors had a tendency to push them off.

All that is left is to run the USB cable in the same place I ran the cables for the adapter and then zip tie them together to ensure they don't move around. It's an invisible mod this way other than the little tip of USB plug coming out of where all your other cabling comes out on the bars!

12v Waterproof Socket Cigarette Lighter (pretty flimsy cap, so be careful)
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003I61DSG/ref=oss_product]Amazon link[/ame]

Shrink tubing
Weatherproof fuse holder and 10A fuse
1 meter of 15A battery wire
USB adapter for cigarette lighter
Ends for connecting the battery
Total costs: 24GBP

Easy as can be! I don't do anything for fear of screwing things up and this was cake!

F

FZ6 Naked!

It looks like I might need some help! I've been searching the old interwebs trying to find a waterproof USB cable and have had no luck. These are very nice:
L-COM USB Cable, Waterproof Type B Male - Standard Type B Male, 5.0m - WPUSBBB-5M
Unfortunately, my GPS is my HTC Desire HD, which uses a Micro-B connector. I've got a company that say they can make them, but requires a large order :( Anyone know of a way to make a cable end waterproof? I would like this to remain permanent on the bike, so just wrapping it in a bag is not the look I'm going for ;)

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like I might need some help! I've been searching the old interwebs trying to find a waterproof USB cable and have had no luck. These are very nice:
L-COM USB Cable, Waterproof Type B Male - Standard Type B Male, 5.0m - WPUSBBB-5M
Unfortunately, my GPS is my HTC Desire HD, which uses a Micro-B connector. I've got a company that say they can make them, but requires a large order :( Anyone know of a way to make a cable end waterproof? I would like this to remain permanent on the bike, so just wrapping it in a bag is not the look I'm going for ;)

Waterproof Motorcycle USB Port - webBikeWorld

F

FZ6 Naked!

does anyone know what size fuse to use with a 12v adapter?

With mine I used a 10 amp. The actual cabling was rated for 15 amps, but since I'm using USB only I knew it would be less. USB 2 is only 500mA, so it would take some angry electricity to blow the 10 amp fuse. Just spec out the max amp desires of your devices and base it on that.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I want to wire mine into the headlight wiring but I am not sure of which wires to use for the - + connections.
Any help appreciated.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
why wire into the headlight?
To my un-electrically educated brain; I was thinking that it would enable the socket to be off when the ignition is off and on when its on.

I am open to an suggestions and pictures of said install.

Nelly

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
oh I see. I personally want it to be on all of the time so I can charge my phone while my bike is off. I guess you could just find the + for the light and then run the - directly to the batt.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
oh I see. I personally want it to be on all of the time so I can charge my phone while my bike is off. I guess you could just find the + for the light and then run the - directly to the batt.
That's a good idea, running the negative back to the battery.
I will wait for someone to direct me to the + wire on the head light harness.
I have found some really simple connectors that allow you to tap into a wire and connect a secondary wire in a kind of T-shape.
Nelly