15/48 sprocket performance

MrSinister

Reaction score
Visit site
hey, i have a chance to do this mod on my 2006 fz6. I found a 15t vortex (3271-15) and a OEM r6 48t for pretty cheap. My question is since the r6 has a different chain then the fz6 would that combo still work? or would you need a 48t designed for the fz6 specifically. thanks!

The chain on my 2006 fz6 is #530 while this OEM R6 rear sprocket is #532 (older) is that no good or close enough?

Last edited:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I did only -1 in the front. Takes off from stops with more authority, seems to accelerate through the gears faster, and of course, for any given gear/speed combination, you're running at slightly higher rpm.

Adding a couple in back should just make this relatively straightforward change more dramatic.

It drops top speed and mileage, but I don't pay attention to these. I don't sit on interstates for long stretches or do long-distance touring. Mine is just a weekend toy, I don't commute on it any more. I shift into sixth only a few times each season, just to make sure it's still there. ;) But as with the other gears, it just runs at a higher rpm for any given speed, that's all.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
complete comparison as I was shopping around a few years ago, in a related thread:

here

[edit] and speedo healer is only required if you don't like doing math in your head

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
glad this thread is going I've been thinking if doing this mod for awhile.. -1 in the front.. My 2007 just feels slow off the line..I don't want to have to rev to 10000 rpm to feel like I'm getting somewhere..Since the r6 was mentioned here does anyone know if their sprocket size is the same? short of doing cam conversion would the sprocket change give you the same acceleration ?

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
man another HOT! day down here in Texas 105'.. wanna be on the bike but dont get trapped at a light..it feels like your in an oven.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
glad this thread is going I've been thinking if doing this mod for awhile.. -1 in the front.. My 2007 just feels slow off the line..I don't want to have to rev to 10000 rpm to feel like I'm getting somewhere..Since the r6 was mentioned here does anyone know if their sprocket size is the same? short of doing cam conversion would the sprocket change give you the same acceleration ?

03-05 R6, 06-09 R6S have +2 rear sprocket.

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site
with this 15/48 mod does this still use the stock chain length? I keen going this route though I might as well replace the chain as well with a 520? Though not sure about the linkage.

dirtchurchdc

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you use the stock 520 118 chain for the 15/48 combo or do you have to bump up to a 120 chain? I just recieved a D.I.D Vx2 118 chain and just realized that it might be too short.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you use the stock 520 118 chain for the 15/48 combo or do you have to bump up to a 120 chain? I just recieved a D.I.D Vx2 118 chain and just realized that it might be too short.

I suspect with the small difference in sizing, you should be good..

Just going to have the move the wheel forward a bit...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW stock is 530...
And yes, the S2 allows a 16/48 so a 15 should be ok...

DSC_8274_zpsqwmmzrbl.jpg

IMG_20150525_130652_096_zpsgrzralwp.jpg

Sunstar PN: 2-547448
Sunstar 48 teeth

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to voice my dissatisfaction for changing gearing.

Just got back from a 400ish mile round trip on the FZ with stock gearing. If you are planning on doing any highway on the FZ, don't change the gearing. The increased wear on the bike, vibrations, and poor poor fuel mileage aren't worth the low end grunt IMO.

I only had a +4 on the back too, that was it.

Doing a standard (-1,+2) puts the ratio at 3.20

Going only +4 in the back like I did puts it at 3.13

I can't imagine how uncomfortable and hard on the bike a standard gearing change is, +4 was plenty for me. The Speedohealer I had on with the gearing change will affect the results negatively on the +4 somewhat. But as it stands from what I saw:

80MPH on +4 is going to run you about 8,000 RPM

80MPH on stock is about 6,800 RPM

This is a huge difference on fuel mileage, vibrations, loudness (if you have an aftermarket exhaust), and overall sanity. I was getting 40 mpg or below with the +4, now I am getting solid 45+. Incredible difference

What's also frustrating is the sprocketcenter superlite/EK 520 setup I paid close to $200 for is already curling the teeth on the front sprocket over after only 10,000 miles. UGH

That's just my experience. The more I tinker with the bike, the more I realize that stock is usually best on most components, and that Yamaha knows what the hell they're doing.