1500 miles on FZ6 in 24hrs

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree congrats to this woman! As I have completed a bb1500 ride ( I did like 1600 in 30ish hours). I have mad respect for doing that in less than 24! That is a feat! And on a bike with such a small tank and range. My tiger had a little more capacity and the fz6 that I rode with had swapped sprockets for better highway rpm and mpg. It was my first iba ride and it literally bruised me to do so! .. But now that I have my wing. I wanna do it again . but with 200 miles plus to a tank it will be simpler than the 130-150 that the fz or tiger would do. We went about 175 one tank and we were both getting worried!

But again an amazing feat on any bike and my helmet off to ya ma'am

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Not sure what kind of fuel range you were getting on your FZ6, but with a 5.1 gallon tank, it can easily get 250 on the highways, most I've gotten was around 290 on a tank.

I think doing an Iron Butt and get the certificate is silly. If you have a destination, and decide to do it in one shot, that's one thing getting the cert. But to go out and ride for 24hours to nowhere is pointless.

Most I've ridden is one shot is 938 miles, in 19.5 hours. But I stopped at two national parks, and had dinner in one town.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Yah it is kinda pointless. But one of the guys that was here was into doing distance stuff and was going and I decided to tag along for the fun of it! And with rain, hail, fog, all in the dark at about the 18-20 hour mark while headed west across the Tenn mountains left memories I will never forget! Honestly I did it just for the fun of it to say I had !

it may have been 275 and not 175 to that tank, been to long to remember.. and i only rode the fz for a few months when we first got it then i moved to a little larger bikes and the fz has been serving wife duties happily ever after..

and as a check of the thread below it was indeed 175miles

edit to add the link to the ride we did back in ... 09'

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/15865-iron-butt-story.html

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
I think doing an Iron Butt and get the certificate is silly. If you have a destination, and decide to do it in one shot, that's one thing getting the cert. But to go out and ride for 24hours to nowhere is pointless.

I want to preface this by saying I'm not trying to start an argument and I know I don't have anywhere near the status in this community as VEGASRIDER. I don't want this to come across as combative, I just thought I'd offer my perspective for anyone that has been entertaining the idea of long distance riding.

Since it's hard to tell through the interwebs, I can't tell if the quote above is meant to be serious or tongue-in-cheek and whether it was meant to be condescending or not. I doubt it was meant in a negative way, probably just a personal observation.

Many parts of motorcycling as a hobby(not commuting) are "silly and pointless", including IBA rides. Many of us go out for 5-6+ hour rides on a weekend morning with no real destination in mind but enjoy being out on the road and seeing the scenery. Some enjoy running 1/4 miles at the track. Some enjoy stunting in safe/closed off parking lots. All of those things qualify as "silly and pointless" in my mind, and I personally wouldn't enjoy the last two, but I wouldn't want someone else to be discouraged from trying them because I disparaged them.

Long distance riding isn't for everyone, but the experiences I've had while on IBA rides, the relationships formed and the memories made have made them anything but pointless. The certificate is something interesting to have in the filing cabinet, but for me it's more about the story and having fun out on the road.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind I did mine on the way back. It was more because I wanted to stay in the beautiful NH mountains one more day. It took me 2.5 days to get there with a little detour to have a good dinner with some 6R forum friends.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Long distance riding isn't for everyone, but the experiences I've had while on IBA rides, the relationships formed and the memories made have made them anything but pointless. The certificate is something interesting to have in the filing cabinet, but for me it's more about the story and having fun out on the road.

We are opposed to efforts to glamorize so -called "iron butt:" riding. In fact, we think legislation is needed to regulate behind-the-wheel, or, as in this case, hands on bar, maximum hour operation limits. Responsible and alert driving should be the goal of all, not just commercial drivers, pilots, etc., operating vehicles ;) ;

Mothers Against Drowsy Driving (MADD)

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
We are opposed to efforts to glamorize so -called "iron butt:" riding. In fact, we think legislation is needed to regulate behind-the-wheel, or, as in this case, hands on bar, maximum hour operation limits. Responsible and alert driving should be the goal of all, not just commercial drivers, pilots, etc., operating vehicles ;) ;

Mothers Against Drowsy Driving (MADD)

The general sentiment behind this post is quite important and I couldn't agree more with the "against drowsy driving" part of your post. Riding in a fatigued state is a very dangerous thing to do and each rider must know his/her own limits and be willing to call it quits when those have been reached.

Fatigue and safety are things that don't get emphasized enough in threads like this for people outside of the IBA "culture" that aren't familiar with how the organization or its members view these topics.

The IBA agrees with you also: AOW Listing

IBA said:
3. Leave your drugs and coffee supply at home.
It's this simple, drugs and other stimulants do not work! If you need No-Doze or other drugs to stay alert (the Iron Butt Association includes coffee and colas on this hot list), it's time to stop for the day and get some serious rest.

A piece of paper is not worth risking your life for(or the lives of others around you on the road) and people should take that seriously when planning or executing one of these rides.

My observation has been that the IBA is not in the business of glamorizing rides outside of the organization. In fact, they have refused to certify people because they deemed the ride unsafe(lack of rest stops, excessive speed, etc.). Talking with IBA members, you'll hear frequent stories of scrapped rides due to various situations including fatigue.

But I definitely agree with your point that some can be seen as glamorizing these rides and I also think it's important that the rides not be trivialized. Most riders approaching these rides do some mental/physical preparation, the following is a good resource that has most of the basic general information in one place: http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/IronButt101.pdf.

I'm not sure why I feel compelled to respond so much in this thread, I'm not an advocate of the IBA and in fact, I believe it's not for most people. But it's an activity some people enjoy and I think it's misunderstood sometimes as a reckless activity that encourages people to finish at all costs. That's just not the case from the IBA or the majority of its membership.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about the 1500, but the 1000, I know I can do it easily as most of my road trips involve 7-800 mile day rides between overnight points as it is. But I don't need a piece of paper to show for it and I have nothing to prove.

But for motorcycle enthusiast, I can see the fun in it. Since I don't drive and my bike is my only ride, I dont fall in that category. I ride for a living, and you develop a different view when it comes to riding. Distance, certificates, etc becomes meaningless. Would you do it in your car so that you can earn that certificate?