15T Sprocket

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon: -- LOVE IT!

I took a little time out Sunday and put on my Vortex 15T Sprocket and WOW what a difference. Very simple to do, wold have had it done in a half hour if I wouldn't had to run for some Loctite. I didn't even have to take the chain off the back wheel it all went very easy. It feels like a different (better) bike now and I do much less shifting than I did before. Does not at all seem like its revving to high on the Hwy at 75 or 80 mph. Anything above that I don't really care because I don't usually go much over the speed limit on the Hwy, the back roads however are a different story.:spank: but that's where the change really shines.

Thanks to CHEMIKER and FZ6Nick who helped me decide to do this mod, best mod for the least money by far! $35.00 to my door (15T Sprocket VORTEX BRAND)

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool,I wanted to hear that.I have had a 15t ready to go on for a while but only got my s/healer this week so with a bit of luck this weekend I will be installing both.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Still have to get the healer, didn't want to spend the money yet. I am really starting to want some scorpion pipes and also the hyper-pro front springs to match my rear one. Got to take care of the priorities around the house first ........ Priorities Suck !!

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Your way of thinking has a strong appeal to it.

Let me see if this will fly...

I had to buy the scorpions because if I forget to shut off the bike in the garage I won't be able to hear the factory pipes. This could lead to the bike running until the gas tank is empty and risk killing the entire family by carbon monoxide poisoning. You see sweety, I don't really want those annoying loud pipes but I feel its my responsibility to purchase & install them ... (the closer) ... FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN!!

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been wondering about this mod. I'm starting to not care much for a 140 top speed, because I shouldnt be there to begin with, but I want better performance in the lower speed range. How is your take offs? does the sprocket off the line pull?

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Unequivocally the best mod for the money. As others have said: "It should have come from the factory this way." It's not night-and-day, but it does take off from the line with more authority and gets to the happy-range more quickly. to answer a question, it's a performance mod and not economy, but if you want economy, click up a gear.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been wondering about this mod. I'm starting to not care much for a 140 top speed, because I shouldnt be there to begin with, but I want better performance in the lower speed range. How is your take offs? does the sprocket off the line pull?

A 15t front is a great cheap performance mod. There will be no loss of "top speed". You can go -1+2 and it'll still run 140 actual MPH.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A 15t front is a great cheap performance mod. There will be no loss of "top speed". You can go -1+2 and it'll still run 140 actual MPH.

i run a 520 -2, +1, set up and still get 140mph.

I also get "rather" rapid acceleration from about 5000rpm in any gear....

:rockon:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my 15t and healer installed today,with a little help from my 7 yo standing on the rear brake for me ,lol.

Haven't had the chance to see the difference ,but looking forward to it .

EDIT:Gave the sprocket cover a good clean ,bloody hell the lube and crap builds up in there !

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site

Like fizzy said its not night and day but it is definitely noticeable. It is most noticeable for me coming out of corners and hitting the gas, where I have lost speed in the corner I don't always have to down shift now. Before it seemed like I was always in the wrong gear but now it just feels right. If you are looking for a huge change you could do the +2 at the same time but I didn't wanna go crazy all at once and risk it getting too buzzy at Hwy speeds. For another $60 bucks you can always easily put on the +2 at a later date if the -1 isn't enough.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
For the 07+ owners: Did you have to use a new lock washer or sprocket nut when you did this? I have my 15t but haven't put it on yet because I'd read a horror story about the threads getting stripped, etc...

earthdaddy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to do this mod before too long. Just bought an '04 a few weeks ago and am getting to a few other mods first, like going naked for starters.

When I do this mod, I will be replacing both sprockets and the chain — because a) you should typically replace them all as a unit, and b) because it will be getting kinda close to needing to replace them all anyway.

So I am debating about how far to go. I am kinda thinking about starting with +2 or +3 in the rear and then buying both a 15t and a 16t front, as they are the cheaper one to double up on. That way, I can see which combo I like better, and the same chain should fit either combo.

Any flaws in this thinking? What would people recommend...the +2 or +3 rear sprocket? — keeping in mind that chances are probably pretty good that I will stay with the 16t in the front, but you never know.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
For the 07+ owners: Did you have to use a new lock washer or sprocket nut when you did this? I have my 15t but haven't put it on yet because I'd read a horror story about the threads getting stripped, etc...

Short answer... no problems! and no new parts other than sprocket.

My 08 had a ring of thin material that was part of the nut. The thin part is bent down into two grooves on the shaft to keep it from loosening. I simply used a flat blade thin screwdriver and unbent it, loosened the nut , put on new sprocket and re tightened the old nut to spec and re-bent the materal back down in the grooves. The new area I had to bend down didn't match the area that was bent down at the factory I assume because there is a slight difference in overall width of the new sprocket. Hope these pictures will help...

Note: I did used a couple of drops of red loctite on the threads for good measure... only a couple of drops of the red though. Also there is a washer behind the nut but it is just a standard washer.

Last edited:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to do this mod before too long. Just bought an '04 a few weeks ago and am getting to a few other mods first, like going naked for starters.

When I do this mod, I will be replacing both sprockets and the chain — because a) you should typically replace them all as a unit, and b) because it will be getting kinda close to needing to replace them all anyway.

So I am debating about how far to go. I am kinda thinking about starting with +2 or +3 in the rear and then buying both a 15t and a 16t front, as they are the cheaper one to double up on. That way, I can see which combo I like better, and the same chain should fit either combo.

Any flaws in this thinking? What would people recommend...the +2 or +3 rear sprocket? — keeping in mind that chances are probably pretty good that I will stay with the 16t in the front, but you never know.

I I were you I would just get the 15t to start with. You already know what the 16t feels like and if you want more you can then order the +2 or +3 for the rear. I don't think I would consider the +3 unless you never ride on the Hwy. you might want to stick with +1 or +2 from what I've heard.