2005 FZ6 with 34,000 Miles

ront

Reaction score
Visit site
2005 FZ6 with 34,000 Miles Dead

Hi all, I have a 2005 FZ6 with 34,000 on it. I love the bike and have never had a bit of trouble with it until a couple of days ago. I really get lost with electrical issues and hope you can help.

A couple of days ago I went to start the bike. I turned the key on, the display lit up and went through the diagnostics and I could hear the fuel pump start. Everything normal so far. When I hit the start button, everything went dead.No display, not a thing. I turned the key off and tried again, everything was dead. I also noticed that the start button was suddenly hard to push also. I have checked the battery, good. Checked the battery connections, good. Removed battery. Ohmed out between negative battery cable to chassis and have a connection. Checked between the positive cable to chassis and it shows open until I push the start button, then it shows a short. If I ohm across the start button it shows open until I push the button then shows continuity. Kill button shows open in off position and continuity in on position.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot, Ron

Last edited:

blue09

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: 2005 FZ6 with 34,000 Miles Dead

Did you check the fuse? If you have a short like you describe, you probably popped the fuse. As far as finding the short, you just have to narrow it down; it's tedious.

ront

Reaction score
Visit site

Did you check the fuse? If you have a short like you describe, you probably popped the fuse. As far as finding the short, you just have to narrow it down; it's tedious.

It is not the fuse. I am thinking it may be the battery.

Thanks, Ron

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site

The path for the positive cable to ground through the start switch goes through a lot of things. Goes through the main fuse, the main switch, the ignition fuse, the start relay coil, the cut-off relay contacts, then through the start switch and to ground. Not sure what the resistance of the start coil should be, but I imagine at least 100 ohms. If you're getting 0 then that relay could be bad. If that was the case one of the two fuses should have blown. But the ignition fuse wouldn't cause your lights and everything else to not work. The only things in common with everything are the main fuse and the master switch.