2007 Fuel map fixed?

mech75

Reaction score
Visit site
All the reviews of the fz6 I've found all seem to have a problem with the fuel injection mapping, or throttle position sensor. For anyone who's driven a pre 07 and post 07, did Yamaha fix this? Or are the reviews I'm reading written by professionals that are reading more into the problem than the average rider? I was torn between a fz6 and ninja 650 for the longest time until I put down the advantages the fz6 has over the ninja, and now the prices on 07's are going down (probably purchasing an 07 in the middle of winter in chicago!) the throttle problem is the only concern I have. Anyone?

W

wrightme43

Not really a problem for me. Also once the throttle freeplay is adjusted its even better.
The surge the magazines are talking about confuses me.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm very aware of any 'foibles' with engine management systems (it's part of my job to answer questions on this with customer's cars), so I was a bit concerned about the "driveability" issues that were reported in various bike magazines when I bought my new 06 FZ6.
I now have 2000 km's on the odometer, and I have yet to figure out what the "professionals" are talking about.:confused:
Acceleration is clean and hesitation free throughout the entire rev range.
The only comments that I would make are:-
-The Yamaha engineers have opted for (what I consider) a fairly high engine idle speed, which probably masks any mapping issues or stumble in the transition from idle to higher RPM.
-The throttle return spring is quite heavy...I think this was also deliberate, in an attempt to 'slow down' the throttle opening speed.
-It all works just fine. :thumbup:
If the 07 model has been "improved", then it's just icing on the cake. ;).

S

sportrider

the surge the magazines are talking about is only noticeable during off/on throttle transitions while your at speed. the lower the gear the more noticable the surge. riding aggresive it requires a very smooth throttle hand. that being said, the FZ6 is an awesome bike!!!

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Onetrack, the idle speed is typical of motorcycles, any lower and the motor would run into oiling issues.

As for the surge, it can be rather noticeable when running through a turn and transitioning from either "off" or "steady" throttle to open throttle. My bike has a tendency to be a little jumpy when getting back on the throttle from slowing down and making a turn. A power commander is supposed to help this.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Onetrack, the idle speed is typical of motorcycles, any lower and the motor would run into oiling issues.

Ah...fast idling must be a new-fangled idea for bikes with 4 cylinder engines :p.....Why, my '68 Triumph Bonneville idled well under 1000 rpm and it never had any oiling issues....Oh....hang on a minute...:D

trailblazer87 said:
As for the surge, it can be rather noticeable when running through a turn and transitioning from either "off" or "steady" throttle to open throttle. My bike has a tendency to be a little jumpy when getting back on the throttle from slowing down and making a turn. A power commander is supposed to help this.

So that's what they're talking about, thanks! It's not really that much of an issue for me as I'm not quite as aggressive into, through and out of corners as I used to be, and tend to use a higher gear than ideal. (That being said, I'm probably cornering faster on my FZ6 than I ever DREAMED of cornering on that same Bonneville).
:Sport: