2014 Winter mods; Whats in store for your Fizzer?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As the title reads; what mods if any are planned for the winter months?
- Feel free to toss in those MAJOR maintenance items too!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
No planned mods for my 2006 as I like it just as it is.

However I do need to get to some major maintenance this winter:

1. Pull front forks, have powder-coated black and replace fork oil. I guess the powder coating would be a "mod".

2. Rebuild brake calipers with new piston seals and dust seals.

3. Replace steering head bearings with all-balls while the forks are out.

That should do it!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine needs nothing except miles. I'll be getting a bit of riding in around the weather and aim to snap some BOTM material.

sheltiedave

Reaction score
Visit site
Not mods really but

1.HEL stainless braided brake lines

2. With the brake lines being changed the calipers will be getting new seals and cleaned up.

3. New front tyre , probably a PR3 to match the back

4. Maybe new fork oil as it's been mentioned above and I have no idea when they were last done .

5. Frame sliders, maybe :confused:

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Replace UK headlight reflector parts with EU right hand side version.
Big maybe - White 3m vinyl wrap maybe. Or repainting the lower fairing professionaly to match the bike color.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like we Californians are always busily riding (I know I know,,don't be jealous :) j/k :cheer:) ....We've been in serious drought and it's not really much raining here but the weather is fantastic for riding and keeping us busy in the weekend for maintenance..

I ride mostly for commute ever ever for weekend riding as my two little MEs kept bugging me :). Whenever I do the maintenance in the weekend I always make sure it's done before Monday because I will be miserable without the bike when commute right in the heart of Los Angeles freeways (105, 405, 110 you name it,,,the most congested traffic freeways in U.S)

However I think I will do rear brake fluid replacement maybe this week and clean up the bike..

FinalImpact - you're right the coming back of squeaking sounds after riding for 2 weeks .....specially for highway commuters like me I just glide mostly on freeway 25-65 and very little brake and YES Squeaking comes back but little and on the different side and I know this time I need to apply the grease on the brake pad's back again..arghh

Anyway,,,happy winter everyone!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like we Californians are always busily riding (I know I know,,don't be jealous :) j/k :cheer:) ....We've been in serious drought and it's not really much raining here but the weather is fantastic for riding and keeping us busy in the weekend for maintenance..

I ride mostly for commute ever ever for weekend riding as my two little MEs kept bugging me :). Whenever I do the maintenance in the weekend I always make sure it's done before Monday because I will be miserable without the bike when commute right in the heart of Los Angeles freeways (105, 405, 110 you name it,,,the most congested traffic freeways in U.S)

However I think I will do rear brake fluid replacement maybe this week and clean up the bike..

FinalImpact - you're right the coming back of squeaking sounds after riding for 2 weeks .....specially for highway commuters like me I just glide mostly on freeway 25-65 and very little brake and YES Squeaking comes back but little and on the different side and I know this time I need to apply the grease on the brake pad's back again..arghh

Ya, Not so lucky here (north of you)...

Personally I don't agree with "greasing a brake pad" do to the proximity and "where it goes" if it doesn't stay in place.

If you must, I'd opt for one of the other products:
- CRC Disc Brake Quiet 05016, 4 Fl Oz << Try this!
- Loctite® - Disc Brake Quiet Stick
- Permatex® 80077 - Disc Brake Quiet

Bump your post again and lets discus products, pads, application, etc F/I

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
with 45k I guess I should probably:
change the fork oil (never done)
Rebuild the calipers (polished and lubed before but not full rebuilt)
needs a chain, pretty bad lol

at least I put oil in it!! Blah

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
-New paint
-re-retrofit to V6.0 Morimoto mini H1
-rewire HID harness
-Straigthen the fairing stay
-possible new chain and sprockets

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be working on a custom chopped tail/subframe, single seat, and ??exhaust?? solution to round out the cafefighter look I've been going for. Braided brake lines could also be coming, along with some front suspension work if things go well with the subframe.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya, Not so lucky here (north of you)...

Personally I don't agree with "greasing a brake pad" do to the proximity and "where it goes" if it doesn't stay in place.

If you must, I'd opt for one of the other products:
- CRC Disc Brake Quiet 05016, 4 Fl Oz << Try this!
- Loctite® - Disc Brake Quiet Stick
- Permatex® 80077 - Disc Brake Quiet

Bump your post again and lets discus products, pads, application, etc F/I

Thansk will take those advices! And I also think I found out what squeaking in the brake...the brake holder pin....arghhh,,yesterday before going home I did a quick check and found the pin was rotated but all the holder clip in place and secure and I turned the brake holder pin around and it made freaking squeaking sound arghh oonly on that side in that position so I turned it away back as normal position and it didnt make any more sound...

perhaps I will open it up and clean the dirt and wear out of that brake holder pin this weekend...

thx again! happy winter my fellow riders!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I like this thread. Lots of projects going on!

My list is:

New spark plugs
Oil and filter change
Coolant flush
Rear brake bleed
New battery
Naked conversion
Cat delete
Timing advance by 3-4 degrees

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
This winter I'll mostly be cleaning the bike up and detailing; I've ridden through enough British winters now, and can't afford to keep replacing bits through corrosion from the salt all over our roads! Planned mods for the New Year include the Danmoto rearsets, Hel Lines and a re-map... Maybe wavey brakes too if funds permit!

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Planned :
1. Engine : Oil change and throttle body sync.
2. Forks : Racetech springs.
3. Brakes : Replace seals.
4. Electrical : New license plate lights.
Tentative :
1. Repack exhaust (over 10k miles already)
2. Build custom power distribution block and cleanup messy wires near the console
3. Plastidip wheels/forks &swing arm (worth the effort?)
4. Spark plugs?(15k miles, should I replace?)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

You do have nice weather but you can't enjoy it on downtown LA freeways! My commute in November can get chilly in the mornings here in VA but I have only 3 stop signs, no traffic and no traffic lights on my 7 mile commute! :D

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I live in the Northeast, and winter is approaching. My plan is to buy parts over winter, and let them sit until Spring. Until then I will be researching and drooling all over Youtube.

Coolant hoses and fluid replacement
Fresh Shock Oil
LeoVince Exhaust
TS Seat
FZ6R or FZ1 Handlebar (undecided)
Racetech springs and seals

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Planned :
1. Engine : Oil change and throttle body sync.
2. Forks : Racetech springs.
3. Brakes : Replace seals.
4. Electrical : New license plate lights.
Tentative :
1. Repack exhaust (over 10k miles already)
2. Build custom power distribution block and cleanup messy wires near the console
3. Plastidip wheels/forks &swing arm (worth the effort?)
4. Spark plugs?(15k miles, should I replace?)

Hardest part about plastidip is getting it clean, I'd say it's worth it if you'll have the bike apart/partially apart already. So pair it with your spring work.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I live in the Northeast, and winter is approaching. My plan is to buy parts over winter, and let them sit until Spring. Until then I will be researching and drooling all over Youtube.

Coolant hoses and fluid replacement
Fresh Shock Oil
LeoVince Exhaust
TS Seat
FZ6R or FZ1 Handlebar (undecided)
Racetech springs and seals

I am with ErikNYC on this one. I'll ride until I sissy out and garage it. I just changed the oil/filter for the winter. I'll be slowly accumulating the following for the Spring (no garage to store it and work - keeping it in my mother-in-law's wood shed lol) :

1. BD43 dual headlight (cable is en route to me as we speak)
2. Frame Sliders
3. PIAA or SilverStar Ultra Headlight bulbs (Keep seeing pros to both)
4. Possibly gear indicator
5. MotoDynamic Taillight
6. Possibly Hyperlites LED rear running/brake lights

A lot of electrical work apparently. I was considering doing some Rizoma grips but I don't know how hard changing the grips is.