2015 BMW R1200RS Ride and Review

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad recently took delivery of his brand new 2015 BMW R1200RS, this supposedly is the first one in Ontario, and from what I've seen, the one of the first ones around anywhere.

I go for a ride and review it best I can, then do a walk around. Wicked bike in my opinion, same boxer twin as the rest of the 1200 lineup, brakes were unreal... So new none of the luggage has even come in yet (he went with OEM hard cases all round)

If anyone has any questions let me know, its only got like 300 km on it so far, I put about 100 of that on going on a couple rides on my own

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJPlXrunU5U&feature=youtu.be

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Two weeks ago, I just designed and made up several helmet lock brackets for THAT specific bike (as it doesn't have any).

They had one in stock and it was sold. I was told there's only 100 coming to the states this year..

Bolts up the same place as the 1200 GS (shown as well below). I had very little access to the RS for picture taking as it was in the rear storage area.

Picture #1 is a GS with the side luggage rack, same frame design and location with the RS, pic's 2 &3.

That subframe rail pictured, is 22mm in diameter, the FZ6-25mm diameter

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Tank range: my one big question. Considering the naked bike as my next "do everything" bike in 2017/2018. But if it can't do two laps of my commute to a tank, I'll not bother.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Tank range: my one big question. Considering the naked bike as my next "do everything" bike in 2017/2018. But if it can't do two laps of my commute to a tank, I'll not bother.

the bike has a 4.6 US Gal tank (18 L) when I was riding it was at an average of 5.0 L/100 km... And I wasn't being very gentle on the throttle, so I'd say you can expect about 300 km before the reserve kicks in, this is right on par with what I get out of the FZ6

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Two weeks ago, I just designed and made up several helmet lock brackets for THAT specific bike (as it doesn't have any).

Interesting, I'll have to let my dad know you make them for this bike, you might have another customer on your hands haha... Is the intent to buy a lock and pin it for the bikes key then bolt it up with your bracket?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting, I'll have to let my dad know you make them for this bike, you might have another customer on your hands haha... Is the intent to buy a lock and pin it for the bikes key then bolt it up with your bracket?

I make them (for BMW's) for Pirates Lair under "Easy Helmet Locks", ie

The Easy Helmet Lock for the MV Agusta F4 750/1000CC from Pirates' Lair at 828.628.7093 EST . Shown at that link is for a MV Agusta. Obviously the frame demensions are different than the BMer

The R1200RS is the exact same style as above, uses the same BMW lock assembly. Clear helicopter leading edge tape is included and goes around the frame to prevent marring. Left side mount (opposite the exhaust). With the BMW lock shown, yes, it can be re-keyed to fit the ignition(I don't sell that).

The kit is similar to the below pic but satin black (shown is for an FZ6)

Pirates putting together a line of products for the RS but it'll be months before its ready. I have 7 made up already and need to make up a couple more for stock..

And yes, full disclosure, he is my BMW distributor. FZ's, FJR's, Concours, MV's, just me, no distributor.

Last edited:

FLPicker

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that. I saw one of these on the road here in Tampa yesterday. Very good looking bike and I have heard good things about the performance. I rented a 1200GS when I was in Arizona a couple weeks ago and put 800 miles on it over 3 days. The liquid-cooled boxer was a great. Loved the bike enough that I finally pulled the trigger on a 2012 R1200R as a replacement for my FZ6 last week. I had been eyeballing them for some time. As nice as the BMW is, I am going to miss the FZ6. If I can figure out how to keep it in the garage, I will.