42k miles maintenance check?

Skylardog123

Reaction score
Visit site
Im a new owner of an 04 fz6, it has 42k miles on it and runs really great, it had a few minor issues, (needed new clutch, adjusted CO1 and CO2 to make it run richer bc it ran lean,) i might sync the throttle bodies when i get the money, but what kind of maintenance should i do at 42k miles, the engine itself looks super clean, except the bottom, black all over the bottom under arouns where the oil filter is, but what kind of maintenence should i do and check at 42k miles (also valves were adjusted at 32k)

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the valves were checked and adjusted properly then thats it for the engine other than obvious checking of oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs. A lot of people say don't trust the previous owners checking the valves as its so important. You might want to change your front and rear brake calliper seals as this is recommended by Yamaha every 2 years. Go through the service schedule I think there are a few other things like steerer bearings to be regressed but I've never done mine and am at 29k. These bikes can go on a long time trouble free if properly maintained and not overly abused. The black oil as long as its not dripping or coming from anywhere above the oil filter should just be residue from the filter or from chain lube, clean as much as you can off and leave some cardboard under the bike or keep an eye on it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fork oil, definitly.. Gets nasty/stinky by 20,000 miles.

Replace head bearings with your specific style of riding.

There is regular maintenance you should be doing, IE lube clutch cables, clean / adjust / inspect chain / sprockets.

If you need an owners manual, where ALL that specific information is at, PM me with an e-mail address, year bike and I'll send you a PDF of it.

Is the clutch now fixed, (NOT slipping-can't wheelie/ do burn outs) and if so what was the issue?

Last edited:

Skylardog123

Reaction score
Visit site
The clutch is fixed now, im still not skilled enough to do wheelies, but the clutch cable wasnt adjusted right, someone grinded the adjuster screw in half so i thought i gad adjusted it all the way, ordered a nee one and works fine now