7000 RPM Screams

R

Raid The Revenge

I have a 2006 FZ6

There is a severe mettling vibration that occurs at 7000 RPM +. This ONLY happens when the clutch is engaged and I've experimented with different fuel octanes to find no difference.

The oil is new and it happens in any gear.

Could someone tell me what this problem is?

(Vehicle is still under warranty)

S

sportrider

so I understand you correctly. by saying when the clutch is "engaged" you mean while the engine is under a load, not free revving. if you have your bike in neutral and rev it does it still do it? if you hold it at a certain RPM and clutch it does the noise go away? how many miles are on it?

oh by the way, welcome aboard!!! be sure and introduce yourself in the new members section.

R

Raid The Revenge

An engaged clutch will transfer power.
An open clutch will not.

I have 1550 miles on the speedometer.
The sound only occurs when the chain is taught.

I could record the sound if you want...

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
An engaged clutch will transfer power.
An open clutch will not.
Yes thats pretty normal!
I have 1550 miles on the speedometer.
The sound only occurs when the chain is taught.
That could be a 100 diffrent things, So If you loosen the chain it goes away?
I could record the sound if you want...
Please do.

W

wrightme43

My bike has a cool vibration just at 7000 rpm. It makes my girlfriend happy. :thumbup:

R

Raid The Revenge

I’m unable to diagnose the problem.

I've recorded the engine while revving over 7000 and I can’t identify that buzzing resonance, which occurs for only a brief time.

This only happens while the clutch is engaged.

The recording had failed to register the anomaly; meaning the problem is completely irrelevant to the engine. It dissipates after revving the engine higher or by opening the clutch.

Could it be vibration in the fairings? Or is it transmission related? Exhaust?

The sound file can be found here:

http://www.psychoholiday.com/uploader/files/112/FZ6 7000.mp3

I had to stifle the clipping with a sound forge; using a specific plug-in called a “Vinyl Restoration.” I tried recording the sound from several angles, including far away. The best sample I obtained is linked above.

Thanks for any help you can deliver.

B

Bo67

Listened to your sound byte. Your bike basically sounds like mine and I have 13000 miles on my '07. Just my opinion, but everything sounds normal to me. Bear in mind that the pistons are moving in their cylinders about 29 times per second at 7000 RPM so a little noise is to be expected. If the bike accelerates normally and you are changing your oil on schedule, I don't see the problem, however it's your bike paid for with your money so if in doubt, have a service tech check it out. You say your bike sounds "mettly" at 7K RPM, I think mine sounds "howly" at that range. Maybe we're talking about the same thing here. Just go with your gut and if it doesn't seem quite right, have it checked out. I and the other posters that regularly rev the bejesus out of our rides would appreciate any info you have.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the site. I have listened to the sound byte. It sounds just like mine really. Can you tell me in the sound byte what is the time frame that you can pick the noise up? I had what I thought was a tapping noise on my bike. Unfortunately no one else could hear it. Sometimes its easy to identify a sound that you know is going to occur. At higher revs I get a brief vibration through my fairing. I have checked all of the mounting points and they all check out.

B

bluenova

My 2007 vibrates a bit around 7000, but once I'm past 9000 it sounds sweet!

W

wrightme43

All objects have a natural resonant (sp?) freqency. If you change the shape or put wieght in a different place it move the frequency that it happens, but does not eliminate it.
To me it feels like either the tank, or the frame where the tank is mounted vibrate at around 7000. Hope this helps.

R

Raid The Revenge

I've diagnosed the problem.

The sound is a vibration from the left anatomical position of the frontal fairing at 7000 + RPM.

To reduce this effect: use your legs to pinch more pressure on the tank and absorb the shock, lean forward and sustain the handlebars.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I had what I thought was a tapping noise on my bike. Unfortunately no one else could hear it.

I can hear a tapping noise in the engine of my new ride. Has anyone else had this problem? Its not there at idle & starts around 3 grand, by 7 or 8 the howl takes over & I cant hear the tapping. Ive only bought the bike & dont know if its a normal sound for a FZ6 or if its more sinister? Could it be a timing chain?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can hear a tapping noise in the engine of my new ride. Has anyone else had this problem? Its not there at idle & starts around 3 grand, by 7 or 8 the howl takes over & I cant hear the tapping. Ive only bought the bike & dont know if its a normal sound for a FZ6 or if its more sinister? Could it be a timing chain?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Hi Mate,
I have posted about this previously. I have a slight tapping noise at 3000rpm. I have even taken it back to the dealer as I thought the shims were buggered. Its normal. It really bugged me for ages as no one else seemed to suffer from it. If you got any doubts though take back to the dealer. Im going in for 6000 mile service next month to a different dealer and will also mentio it to them.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,
I have posted about this previously. I have a slight tapping noise at 3000rpm. I have even taken it back to the dealer as I thought the shims were buggered. Its normal. It really bugged me for ages as no one else seemed to suffer from it. If you got any doubts though take back to the dealer. Im going in for 6000 mile service next month to a different dealer and will also mentio it to them.

So no timing chain? If so you have saved me hours of work & given me more drinkin time. Still im a bit cautious, I bought my bike 2nd hand from a lady who did freeway miles to work & back. Easy riding at 5 or 6 grand. It hasnt been flogged & probably doesnt know what a redline is.
Im not sure if the tapping stop or if the wind in my helmet drowns out the sound? I will give it a squirt & let you know if we both live.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So no timing chain? If so you have saved me hours of work & given me more drinkin time. Still im a bit cautious, I bought my bike 2nd hand from a lady who did freeway miles to work & back. Easy riding at 5 or 6 grand. It hasnt been flogged & probably doesnt know what a redline is.
Im not sure if the tapping stop or if the wind in my helmet drowns out the sound? I will give it a squirt & let you know if we both live.
Yep I specifically got the to check cam belt, valves and shims. No problem found. The FZ6 is getting a bit of a rep at being agricultural.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I listened to you sound bite and I can't really be sure what vibration your referencing. On my bike (and evidently others from what I've seen on other forums) there is a particular harmonic at about 7K to 9K and it makes the clutch lever vibrate loudly. When I hear the buzz on my bike I can just lay a finger on the clutch lever and the noise disappears.

Give it a try...

R

Raid The Revenge

I hear a light tapping noise during the rythm of each cycle of engine rotation.

I asked one professional what it was...he said it was the fuel injection. There are lines fed into the head of each piston chamber, where a strong jet of fuel is shot for every rotation.

That 'tapping' noise you hear is most likely the fuel injection. If you hear it in rythm to the RPM cycle, then it's definitely fuel injection.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I listened to you sound bite and I can't really be sure what vibration your referencing. On my bike (and evidently others from what I've seen on other forums) there is a particular harmonic at about 7K to 9K and it makes the clutch lever vibrate loudly. When I hear the buzz on my bike I can just lay a finger on the clutch lever and the noise disappears.

Give it a try...
The plastic Rad cover also vibrates at certain rpm