78 hp vs 98?

elitazzy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. i'm new in every sence to bikes and just about to buy my first one . its a fz6n from possibly 2009 but its not the s2 version. so on the yamaha history site it says its a value for money unupdated version. so it should be 78 hp.
is that allways true? and are there ways of adding the power back?
thx and happy holidays
Eli.;)

elitazzy

Reaction score
Visit site
no. i'm not mate. i have yet to lay eyes on the bike so in a week i'll know more. its just that in Denmark its sooooo expenssive to buy a new bike , that even if it sayes fx a 2011 model you can be sure it was made a couple of years before that . and now the hp is not to be trusted. but i'll know more in a few days. it was more of a general inquiry .

elitazzy

Reaction score
Visit site
thx. i think a few riders in Denmark think they own the 98 hp but when u do the check on the no plate you can see its fx 57 kw or 78 version. its coss its so expencive that the deelers r trying to stay competetive. i hope the guy that is selling me the bike is willing to test it for hp.
thx again
eli.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are several threads on this topic.

To the best of my knowledge the only difference is the throttle stop restricting the maximum volume of air the engine can ingest.

Its easily corrected. However, i don't live there and don't know that they DIDN'T do other things!
If possible this could be settled by looking at the PN on the OEM ECU! If the ecu has the same part number as all the other FZ's out there, its a simple fix. Replace the throttle stop and let it breath.

Sample of US bike with NO restriction.
OpenITup2_zps6u3e752f.gif

Position of Throttle Stop at idle:
picture.php

At WOT - blades must rotate ~ 90° from idle position!!!
picture.php

A restricted throttle stop would have that downleg below the two screws EXTENDED so as to PREVENT about 30% of the travel which open the throttle blades allowing air into the engine. Some bend it, some saw it, some replace it.

If you lift the fuel tank, the ECU is right there (Bulk of wires into one device). Read the PN from it and report back!
picture.php

[MENTION=26521]elitazzy[/MENTION]

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
imo - IF ECU control was there to limit the output, it would effect timing, fueling and to be real, the bikes tach would not have a need to go to 14k.

Just compare the stop and look at rotation.

elitazzy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Final impact thanx. the first link is spot on. thx what made me dought the hp's .the second link shows that none on the thread realy looked at the first link Never! lol
but thx a lot and tomorrow i'm back to buisness and can call the bike shop it was first sold as new. and the autouriteis . so its the first working dag in Denmark. i am sure i'm panicking for nothing. but 1 thing for sure, i aint buying a 78 budget bike. next monster i have my eye's on is a sv1000. buy i truly hope i become a proud owner of this baby
Yamaha, FZ6, 600 ccm, 78 hk – dba.dk – K

thx again. eli

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are several threads on this topic.

To the best of my knowledge the only difference is the throttle stop restricting the maximum volume of air the engine can ingest.

Its easily corrected. However, i don't live there and don't know that they DIDN'T do other things!
If possible this could be settled by looking at the PN on the OEM ECU! If the ecu has the same part number as all the other FZ's out there, its a simple fix. Replace the throttle stop and let it breath.

Sample of US bike with NO restriction.

Position of Throttle Stop at idle:
picture.php

At WOT - blades must rotate ~ 90° from idle position!!!
picture.php

A restricted throttle stop would have that downleg below the two screws EXTENDED so as to PREVENT about 30% of the travel which open the throttle blades allowing air into the engine. Some bend it, some saw it, some replace it.

PS - this is what you're looking for (below) vs pictures above ^^....
Notice the DIFFERENCE in where the Throttle Stop ENDS?

RESTRICTED to 33BHP...
attachment.php

I know these are different angles but its pretty easy to see the difference.
attachment.php

Restricted pic came from this thread.... fz6 s1 factory (throttle) restriction help

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Just be glad you're not in the UK: not only have we got the 04-06, and 07+ S1/S2 differences, there's also 33bhp licence restriction bikes still lying around. Nightmare, lol.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just be glad you're not in the UK: not only have we got the 04-06, and 07+ S1/S2 differences, there's also 33bhp licence restriction bikes still lying around. Nightmare, lol.

The Plot Thickens..... Perhaps OP can find this bike on the list and detail which one it is???

Vehicle:
1B3D (Europe) FZ6-N (Standard)
5VXL (Europe) FZ6-S (Standard)
5S51 (Europe) FZ6-NHG (High-grade)
4S81 (Europe) FZ6-SHG (High-grade)

5S31 (Europe) FZ6-NA (ABS)
4P53 (Europe) FZ6-SA (ABS)
4P54 (Europe) FZ6-SA (ABS)
5S41 (Europe) FZ6-NAHG (High-grade+ABS)
5S21 (Europe) FZ6-SAHG (High-grade+ABS)

4S85 (Aus) FZ6-SHGW (High-grade)
5S52 (Aus) FZ6-NHGW (High-grade)

Engine control unit:
Model/manufacturer:
FUA0015/MITSUBISHI (FZ6-SHG(W)/FZ6-NHG(W)
FUA0018/MITSUBISHI (FZ6-NAHG/FZ6-SAHG)
FUA0019/MITSUBISHI (FZ6-SA/FZ6-NA)
FUA0020/MITSUBISHI (FZ6-S/FZ6-N)

Throttle body:
Type/quantity:

36EIDW-B1/1 (FZ6-SHG(W)/FZ6-SAHG/FZ6-NHG(W)/FZ6-NAHG)
36EIDW-B7/1 (FZ6-S/FZ6-SA (4P53)/FZ6-N/FZ6-NA)
36EIDW-B10/1 (FZ6-SA (4P54)

Manufacturer: MIKUNI
ID mark:
4P54 00 (FZ6-SA (4P54)
5VX1 03 (FZ6-SHG(W)/FZ6-SAHG/FZ6-NHG(W)/FZ6-NAHG)
5S31 00 (FZ6-S/FZ6-SA (4P53)/FZ6-N/FZ6-NA)

elitazzy

Reaction score
Visit site
thx juys. anyway thwe seler is paying for the restriction removal and the shop that sold it from new is doing it + a hp test, so i will have some douments saying its 98 hp.
have a good weekend.
Eli.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thx juys. anyway thwe seler is paying for the restriction removal and the shop that sold it from new is doing it + a hp test, so i will have some douments saying its 98 hp.
have a good weekend.
Eli.

Congrats on the new bike Eli :rockon:, looking forward to seeing the pics (after you pick it up).

elitazzy

Reaction score
Visit site
well i am getting the bike maybe in a week or so. the seller is so sweet he is an old mc riding teacher and he's only got that bike from new 2011 but its a 2007 model 10,000 km
and he is paying for converting the hp to 98. a brand new m.o.t and a change of onership to my name. and its cheep. all i got to do is get a licance . talk about presure.
i had to buy it cos we get good deals in winter time here in Denmark.....its all ****ing white with snow at the moment........ any way i'm going a riding school 10 of march so
hope i can ride this baby next summer............pics coming soon but its totaly standart
no fancy stuff fitted on it........

FUHL

Reaction score
Visit site
The USA version of the WR426/450 had a restricted throttle stop. Popular mod was to replace it with a YZ bracket. Odd that the FZ is the opposite, no restriction in the US but is in other countries.