87 FZ 600 no spark in the plugs

ctom

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I am back. Thanks to this talented group I was able to figure out my fuel issue? This bike has not been started for about 10 years. But I was told that when it was put up it still ran. I thought that I had plenty of spark in my plugs....but I was wrong. I hate electrical problems. But I am going to tackle it. The bike has been stripped of what looks like the kick stand switch as well as the instrument panel. The turn signals don't work. When I turn the key to start the bike I get no spark in any of the plugs. Starter engages. I replaced all the fuses and all the plugs....easy stuff. I checked the resistance of the plug caps and it looks like all but one was bad. I have not check the resistance of the coils. So here is the question...what is wrong? Ha....loaded question. Really what I want to know is what minimally would cause the bike to not spark. Seems like there are so many switches on this bike. Does anyone know what switches would cause this bike not to spark? Then if the switches are not the culprit where would I head to next. I was told the last place to look if everything else is in order is the ignitor. Guy at a shop told me they don't go bad that easily. I realize this is going to take some time, but I have already invested a lot of time bringing this bike back to life. Any help would be much appreciated.

I found some info on your bike. The bike has a main control module and ignitor/CDI unit. Check and make sure all your safety switches are working this would include side stand, neutral safety switch, clutch switch and engine shutoff switch. Since I don't know the logic out of the control module I don't know if the starter is interrupted off the engine kill or side stand switch. The starter is interrupted on the FZ6 series. You might want to jump the engine stop/kill switch to eliminate it.

Last edited:
+1 on jumping the kill switch. Had one go bad once. Starter turned the bike over but no spark.

Side stand switch usually doesn't allow engagement of the starter but the goofy handlbar switch normally did (in the 80's).

Without a schematic its hard to say what's up but one constant I have found is that most all engines with batteries & coils run switched battery power to one side of the coil.

Does this engine have 4 coils? I'm guessing with the key on you should find battery voltage on one side of the ignition coils. If not, follow that color coded wire to its source and see where it leads. If its the safety switch, you can diagnose these with an ohm meter.

Do you have a hand held meter. Most switches are either OPEN or CLOSED. So you place you meter across the contacts (key off) and change conditions. Does the switch go from short condition to an open condition? If it does, its likely working.

If you don't have this; you might order it: Yamaha FJ, FZ, XJ and YX600 Radian Repair Manual covering 598cc air-cooled Fours models for 1984 to 1990 well unless you can find one elsewhere.

Wow...sorry I have been under the weather for a while. Lots of good info. I do have a electrical schematic of the bike. I think there are two coils (one for two plugs). I am a newbee so I could be wrong. The kick stand switch is gone. My understanding when I got the bike is that is was put away and was still functional. I got work ahead of me. I will keep you all posted. Thank you all for the good info.

Wow...sorry I have been under the weather for a while. Lots of good info. I do have a electrical schematic of the bike. I think there are two coils (one for two plugs). I am a newbee so I could be wrong. The kick stand switch is gone. My understanding when I got the bike is that is was put away and was still functional. I got work ahead of me. I will keep you all posted. Thank you all for the good info.

Perhaps you could link us to a drop box file containing a PDF of the starter circuit and we'd stand a better chance of giving accurate information. Just a thought..... PM me if this is of interest.

Back