Source
Andrew McCarthy's Letter to Attorney General Holder
The Honorable Eric H. Holder, Jr.
Attorney General of the United States
United States Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20530-0001

Dear Attorney General Holder:

This letter is respectfully submitted to inform you that I must decline the invitation to participate in the May 4 roundtable meeting the President’s Task Force on Detention Policy is convening with current and former prosecutors involved in international terrorism cases. An invitation was extended to me by trial lawyers from the Counterterrorism Section, who are members of the Task Force, which you are leading.

The invitation email (of April 14) indicates that the meeting is part of an ongoing effort to identify lawful policies on the detention and disposition of alien enemy combatants -- or what the Department now calls “individuals captured or apprehended in connection with armed conflicts and counterterrorism operations.” I admire the lawyers of the Counterterrorism Division, and I do not question their good faith. Nevertheless, it is quite clear -- most recently, from your provocative remarks on Wednesday in Germany -- that the Obama administration has already settled on a policy of releasing trained jihadists (including releasing some of them into the United States). Whatever the good intentions of the organizers, the meeting will obviously be used by the administration to claim that its policy was arrived at in consultation with current and former government officials experienced in terrorism cases and national security issues. I deeply disagree with this policy, which I believe is a violation of federal law and a betrayal of the president’s first obligation to protect the American people. Under the circumstances, I think the better course is to register my dissent, rather than be used as a prop.
Moreover, in light of public statements by both you and the President, it is dismayingly clear that, under your leadership, the Justice Department takes the position that a lawyer who in good faith offers legal advice to government policy makers—like the government lawyers who offered good faith advice on interrogation policy—may be subject to investigation and prosecution for the content of that advice, in addition to empty but professionally damaging accusations of ethical misconduct. Given that stance, any prudent lawyer would have to hesitate before offering advice to the government.
Beyond that, as elucidated in my writing (including my proposal for a new national security court, which I understand the Task Force has perused), I believe alien enemy combatants should be detained at Guantanamo Bay (or a facility like it) until the conclusion of hostilities. This national defense measure is deeply rooted in the venerable laws of war and was reaffirmed by the Supreme Court in the 2004 Hamdi case. Yet, as recently as Wednesday, you asserted that, in your considered judgment, such notions violate America’s “commitment to the rule of law.” Indeed, you elaborated, “Nothing symbolizes our [administration’s] new course more than our decision to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay…. President Obama believes, and I strongly agree, that Guantanamo has come to represent a time and an approach that we want to put behind us: a disregard for our centuries-long respect for the rule of law[.]” (Emphasis added.)
Given your policy of conducting ruinous criminal and ethics investigations of lawyers over the advice they offer the government, and your specific position that the wartime detention I would endorse is tantamount to a violation of law, it makes little sense for me to attend the Task Force meeting. After all, my choice would be to remain silent or risk jeopardizing myself.
For what it may be worth, I will say this much. For eight years, we have had a robust debate in the United States about how to handle alien terrorists captured during a defensive war authorized by Congress after nearly 3000 of our fellow Americans were annihilated. Essentially, there have been two camps. One calls for prosecution in the civilian criminal justice system, the strategy used throughout the 1990s. The other calls for a military justice approach of combatant detention and war-crimes prosecutions by military commission. Because each theory has its downsides, many commentators, myself included, have proposed a third way: a hybrid system, designed for the realities of modern international terrorism—a new system that would address the needs to protect our classified defense secrets and to assure Americans, as well as our allies, that we are detaining the right people.
There are differences in these various proposals. But their proponents, and adherents to both the military and civilian justice approaches, have all agreed on at least one thing: Foreign terrorists trained to execute mass-murder attacks cannot simply be released while the war ensues and Americans are still being targeted. We have already released too many jihadists who, as night follows day, have resumed plotting to kill Americans. Indeed, according to recent reports, a released Guantanamo detainee is now leading Taliban combat operations in Afghanistan, where President Obama has just sent additional American forces.
The Obama campaign smeared Guantanamo Bay as a human rights blight. Consistent with that hyperbolic rhetoric, the President began his administration by promising to close the detention camp within a year. The President did this even though he and you (a) agree Gitmo is a top-flight prison facility, (b) acknowledge that our nation is still at war, and (c) concede that many Gitmo detainees are extremely dangerous terrorists who cannot be tried under civilian court rules. Patently, the commitment to close Guantanamo Bay within a year was made without a plan for what to do with these detainees who cannot be tried. Consequently, the Detention Policy Task Force is not an effort to arrive at the best policy. It is an effort to justify a bad policy that has already been adopted: to wit, the Obama administration policy to release trained terrorists outright if that’s what it takes to close Gitmo by January.
Obviously, I am powerless to stop the administration from releasing top al Qaeda operatives who planned mass-murder attacks against American cities—like Binyam Mohammed (the accomplice of “Dirty Bomber” Jose Padilla) whom the administration recently transferred to Britain, where he is now at liberty and living on public assistance. I am similarly powerless to stop the administration from admitting into the United States such alien jihadists as the 17 remaining Uighur detainees. According to National Intelligence Director Dennis Blair, the Uighurs will apparently live freely, on American taxpayer assistance, despite the facts that they are affiliated with a terrorist organization and have received terrorist paramilitary training. Under federal immigration law (the 2005 REAL ID Act), those facts render them excludable from theUnited States. The Uighurs’ impending release is thus a remarkable development given the Obama administration’s propensity to deride its predecessor’s purported insensitivity to the rule of law.
I am, in addition, powerless to stop the President, as he takes these reckless steps, from touting his Detention Policy Task Force as a demonstration of his national security seriousness. But I can decline to participate in the charade.
Finally, let me repeat that I respect and admire the dedication of Justice Department lawyers, whom I have tirelessly defended since I retired in 2003 as a chief assistant U.S. attorney in the Southern District of New York. It was a unique honor to serve for nearly twenty years as a federal prosecutor, under administrations of both parties. It was as proud a day as I have ever had when the trial team I led was awarded the Attorney General’s Exceptional Service Award in 1996, after we secured the convictions of Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman and his underlings for waging a terrorist war against the United States. I particularly appreciated receiving the award from Attorney General Reno—as I recounted in Willful Blindness, my book about the case, without her steadfastness against opposition from short-sighted government officials who wanted to release him, the “blind sheikh” would never have been indicted, much less convicted and so deservedly sentenced to life-imprisonment. In any event, I’ve always believed defending our nation is a duty of citizenship, not ideology. Thus, my conservative political views aside, I’ve made myself available to liberal and conservative groups, to Democrats and Republicans, who’ve thought tapping my experience would be beneficial. It pains me to decline your invitation, but the attendant circumstances leave no other option.
Very truly yours,
ISI
Andrew C. McCarthy
cc: Sylvia T. Kaser and John DePue
National Security Division, Counterterrorism Section

S

Skeeter190

"Source" = The Rush Limbaugh Show, now that's a surprise:wav:

Just follow the wave! Behind every destructive leader are followers.:thumbup:

S

Skeeter190

Sunday Morning tie in:

And this is the word of Rush...Praise be to Rush.

Why do so many people worship him? There are just such better options available past & present. For some reason Rush's disciples march on spreading the "good word".

W

wrightme43

I would like to point out that you consistently dismiss information because you have a prejudiced view of the source.

Does that bother you? Do you feel like that is the way to debate and discuss? If that is all you are going to do would you please take a skip on posting in this section.

Your answer is off topic, has nothing to do with the topic, and only serves to dismiss the information. If you cant do any better than that please stop.

W

wrightme43

"Source" = The Rush Limbaugh Show, now that's a surprise:wav:

Just follow the wave! Behind every destructive leader are followers.:thumbup:

Just quoting this so it cant be edited.

I dont watch, listen or care anything about Rush. You are making assumptions, based on incorrect information.

W

wrightme43

Sunday Morning tie in:

And this is the word of Rush...Praise be to Rush.

Why do so many people worship him? There are just such better options available past & present. For some reason Rush's disciples march on spreading the "good word".

This one as well.

To answer your offtopic question obviously meant to denigrate and marginalise the post above, I have no idea he seems to be a jerk.

S

Skeeter190

If you can't stand the heat, perhaps the kitchen isn't the best place for you.
Reposting Rush's trash talking isn't adding much to a MC site. Those who want to read Rush's drivel can get it straight from your source. Why repost someone's work here for your own gain? And your gain is???

W

wrightme43

If you can't stand the heat, perhaps the kitchen isn't the best place for you.
Reposting Rush's trash talking isn't adding much to a MC site. Those who want to read Rush's drivel can get it straight from your source. Why repost someone's work here for your own gain? And your gain is???

"If you can't stand the heat, perhaps the kitchen isn't the best place for you."
Its not heat, its an intentional dismissal of information, and denigration of info based on where it was sourced.

"Reposting Rush's trash talking isn't adding much to a MC site. Those who want to read Rush's drivel can get it straight from your source. Why repost someone's work here for your own gain? And your gain is???"

This makes no sense. Rush has zero to do with that letter. Nothing at all. He didnt write it, wasnt there when it was written, and didnt send it to Mr. Holder.

Last time man.

If you cant post on topic and with some modicum of civility, while using you brain in this section, you will not be allowed to post in it. At that point you can talk about how the rightwing hatemongers silenced your free speech and what not and feel good about it.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I read the letter before it was posted here. And I had not found it on Rush's site. One can search for it and find it on plenty of sites. So my point is, why bag on the o.p. for citing his source -- even if it is Rush? It's far more honorable and honest to cite the source than to not. And before I'm denigrated as a Rush fan, save it, I'm not. I'm not a depublican either.

The letter is critical of the process that's unfolding, citing an election promise made that was not thought through when it was made -- closing Gitmo within a year, if elected. Yes, the author is conservative. But his record of involvement in the very process being examined and debated gives him some valuable insight. And though the letter is being pointed to, by you Skeeter, as the sort of divisive posturing that both "sides" of our political system are good at, I don't think that him calling out the administration as seeking to include him in a "charade" is too far off.

I want for the current administration to include all interested and intelligent parties in the analysis and promulgation of policy on such issues as this. After all, they'll both (we'll all) be effected, and affected, by the outcome. But it's important that our understanding of the process be informed not only by the rhetoric of the party in power, but also by the party out of power. One has to read and parse carefully the words presented by both sides to understand both the underlying issue being addressed and the sorts of sound bite/media-related/party positioning activity that serve as the overlay -- the overlay, or the surface treatment of the issue is the only part that most Americans will ever see or come close to "understanding."

If I recall correctly (and I may not be...), Rush has gone so far as to suggest he'd like to see the president or the president's policies fail. That's really a shame. Because as you point out, Skeeter, his followers are a bunch of sheeple and they'll just repeat whatever the guy has to say. That kind of stance seems incredibly unpatriotic to me.

I hope that our president succeeds in his efforts. I hope that he and his administration are able to figure out what to do with the folks who're in gitmo. I hope that folks with the experience of an Andrew McCarthy will be invited and choose to be involved in the analysis and drafting of policy. It'd be foolish of the current administration to disregard the insights of folks with historic, first-hand experience with the issue at hand. It'd be equally, if not more, foolish if, in their effort to solicit such insight, the current administration would allow for the political/media circus to frame the discussion or (shudder) the outcome.

Perhaps Mr. McCarthy's letter was not meant to be shared with the public. I'd like to believe that, though I don't really. No one with the political experience that he possesses would draft such a letter not knowing full well that it would, sooner rather than later, wind up in the media. But I need and value both sides to understand the underlying issues that both sides deem important. In that light, this letter, irrespective of its locus on the interweb, is important and not to be dismissed lightly.

So my point is: both sides are "playing the game" and posturing for approval in the public's eye. And that's a shame. But if I take the time to read and parse the data, I can come to understand the issue more fully. I don't buy the position of either "side" out of hand. I doubt that you do this either, Skeeter, right?

You can bet that I'll be pissed and vocal if they decide to release any of the detainees within our borders. Skeeter, I would also hope that you might agree that having such suspects not only moving freely within our borders, but also getting subsistence support from our tax dollars, are both dangerous and patently ridiculous notions.

In the end, my question to you Skeeter is: are you trying to suggest that Andrew McCarthy is to be classed as a Rush follower or simple producer of Rush fodder? Or are you suggesting that Wrightme is? I just want to understand the scope and direction of this aspect of the current discussion, however much it might be deviating from the real topic at hand.

S

Skeeter190

I dont watch, listen or care anything about Rush. You are making assumptions, based on incorrect information.

OK, I'm confused as to your "source" link. I click on it & it takes me to "The Rush Limbaugh Show". Is the link working differently for everyone else?

I understand that an admin with an agenda can ban those who point out the inconsistency of the agenda, but is that free speech?

Post Rush as your source all day & then deny having done so if that's what you want to do. Free speech comes in many different flavors & if that's yours, so be it.

W

wrightme43

I copy and pasted it from a blog. I dont read, watch, listen to, or suscribe to Rush at all. Couldnt give a rats butt less about him, as I said above I think he is a jerk.

"I understand that an admin with an agenda can ban those who point out the inconsistency of the agenda, but is that free speech?"

One more comment like this and I will ban you. I am tired of your crap. I give the people that disagree with me alot more leeway than those that do agree. You are way over the line.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting letter. I think discussing the message here is more consctructive than dismissing it because a radio talk show host has seen it as well. In fact since the same poster seems to dismiss any dissenting opinions from that of the current administration, calling them brainwashed rhetoric, one may even draw the conclusion that he himself is the one that has been effectively brainwashed.

Anyway that is just noise and has no bearing on the topic, which is one that I am conflicted on. This is more of a philosophical question than a political one. The need for safety versus the protection of human rights, the definition of those rights, and who or when, if ever, should they not apply. The very issue of acknowledging whether or not we are in fact at war plays a central role in this, as our current administration seems to lean towards "no". In short I think that the Guantanamo decision was much more political than practical, and was done in haste without any strategy for dealing with the consequences of that decision. Lack of an effective exit strategy, that sounds vaguely familiar doesn't it? But the issue of rights for detainees is very much in question as well, and should not be discussed without also acknowledging that these detainees are trained mass murders that hate America enough to sacrifice their own lives if it will also kill innocent civilians. These aren't nice people, they are not innocent, they are admitted terrorists, and we know for a fact that they were aware of impending attacks on Americans. Nor should we discuss this without acknowledging the negative effects on our image as a nation of freedom and champion of human rights. Whether or not we are justified in our actions, it just doesn't look good! It can be used against us by other countries guilty of real violations of human rights that we are trying to change. It can be used as ammunition to dismiss very real concerns on similar issues elsewhere in the world. Speeches by Venezuelan dictators asserting that the US is guilty of minor violations can and are being used to mask a national campaign of eliminating human rights for Venezuelans, for instance. But in our case, whether or not we can agree that we are war with these people has little bearing on the fact that they are at war with us. We need to bring all of the issues out on the table, not just the ones convenient to an individual's preconceived answer to the problem. Waterboarding saved innocent US lives. The war on terror has so far prevented further attacks on US soil. Both of these facts may contibute to polarizing more groups against us and spawn future attempts at terrorist attacks that otherwise wouldn't have happened. You can't discuss this without admitting that there is no simple answer, and both sides have typically omitted these facts which makes it much more difficult to take anything they say seriously.

Update: Today the democrats have refused to fund Obama's plan to ship the detainees to US soil. Now that's an interesting development, and perhaps an issue that shouldn't be dismissed as a dirty republican trick. I wonder if they will be branded as obstructionists?

Last edited:
S

Skeeter190

You can't discuss this without admitting that there is no simple answer, and both sides have typically omitted these facts which makes it much more difficult to take anything they say seriously.

Now there's some common ground that we agree on.
Both the left & right wing entertainment/news blowhards present things in over simplistic ways. They drum up their ratings by intentionally inciting outrage from their viewers. Often they're quite obvious about it via lead offs like:

"This next story will outrage you"
Many of them do a heck of a job making folks outraged & victimized. Such victimization is very narcissistic at the core, as it's geared towards what "they" are doing to "you", "your family" & "your" country.

Selling yourself as a victim is strangely popular in today's political discussions.
Another approach:

Adapt, Improvise & Overcome

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Now there's some common ground that we agree on.
Both the left & right wing entertainment/news blowhards present things in over simplistic ways. They drum up their ratings by intentionally inciting outrage from their viewers. Often they're quite obvious about it via lead offs like:

"This next story will outrage you"
Many of them do a heck of a job making folks outraged & victimized. Such victimization is very narcissistic at the core, as it's geared towards what "they" are doing to "you", "your family" & "your" country.

Selling yourself as a victim is strangely popular in today's political discussions.
Another approach:

Adapt, Improvise & Overcome

I agree with you there. Try watching CNN in the morning. But I think you have been very quick to toss us into that same boat. If you were to focus on what is being said here you will see rather strong feelings against the blatant lies, the hypocracy, political spin, the flip flopping, the wasting of money, the infringement on our rights as Americans, the lack of accountability, (remember it wasn't long ago that Obama stood for all of these principles as well, we elected him because of them, so to dismiss these as childish or unrealistic or unattainable would be to group him into those categories as well...) but definitely not just by the left or right wing. There is a bias to the right wing here, of course there is, because they aren't the ones calling the shots and making all of the decisions on their own. The democrats are by the process of elimination the ones making all of the mistakes!! You can't have it both ways! The fast moving, far reaching, unimaginably expensive policies being put in place are, at an absolute minimum, a cause for concern to anyone with two brain cells to rub together. The funny thing is you keep stating that we are all zombies brainwashed by Fox news because... we have refused to blindly accept the canned answers of a bunch of politicians!!

When I ask, specifically, why you (not just you, I've asked this over and over of the strong Obama supporters here) agree with what is being done, I never get an answer. The answer has always been "Bush did it too" which of course isn't an answer at all. Not once have they answered specifically why they think the policy is the correct one. Often they never admit that they think it is the right course of action, they just change the subject and attack people for questioning it! I have yet to hear a thoughtful answer to these concerns, I have been either attacked for being a Bush supporter (I did not support nor vote for Bush), told that I am a brainwashed zombie (for asking why others are blindly following someone without question), or they simply change the subject. Read some of the old threads, it really was quite rediculous and I hope perhaps privately some people at least wondered for a moment why they were so quick to dismiss all criticism. I think there has been a misunderstanding, if what bothers you is people blindly following what they are being told, without thinking about and considering it for themselves, then you are in great company here.

S

Skeeter190

When I ask, specifically, why you (not just you, I've asked this over and over of the strong Obama supporters here) agree with what is being done, I never get an answer.

There isn't a sound bite answer that's going to make your angst go away. The President makes a lot of sense to a growing number of Americans. His demonstrated skills/actions, along with common sense as well as positive explanations give a sense of hope to those who are open to it.

The bickering/mudslinging/whining & "why me" that's all over the airwaves/net is disturbing. At the risk of going all Dr. Phil about it, the current economic woes are very much like other "Phases of Grief"

View attachment 16087

1) Shock stage: Initial paralysis at hearing the bad news.
2) Denial stage: Trying to avoid the inevitable.
3) Anger stage: Frustrated outpouring of bottled-up emotion.
4) Bargaining stage: Seeking in vain for a way out.
5) Depression stage: Final realization of the inevitable.
6) Testing stage: Seeking realistic solutions.
7) Acceptance stage: Finally finding the way forward.

I think that many of us are currently somewhere in the 3~5 range

S

Skeeter190

If these boards are all about having a pity party, then pardon me for interrupting the party, but some of the expectations that folks seem to have here are just fantasy.

For instance, the last good President, Regan as we're told, isn't coming back from the dead. Jack Kemp, bless his soul, seemed to be honored by both the left & right for his Regan to moderate honorableness. I don't know much about the man, but the little that I read/heard of recently indicated that he was a Republican with a conscience. At the moment we have a Democrat with some backbone, which is perhaps just as good as a Republican with a conscience.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
There isn't a sound bite answer that's going to make your angst go away. His demonstrated skills/actions, along with common sense as well as positive explanations give a sense of hope to those who are open to it.

I notice you still haven't actually answered the questions, you just take a swipe and then talk about hope. Does that mean blind faith optimism without questioning what is going on? I sure hope not!

But here is the problem. Common sense would tell you that moving towards the European model would drastically increase unemployment and lower GDP, our system has a 4-5% unemployment rate, theirs a 10-12% rate. He hasn't spoken to that fact, but I'd like to hear from someone how you will create 3.5 million jobs (which are admittedly impossible to measure or verify) by increasing the tax burden on businesses in a major recession. The vast majority of Green jobs are temporary! Or how spending $200M on condoms (which as part of the stimulus are now purchased from China rather than the US) will jumpstart the economy? How is $50M for studying Pelosi's field mouse the proper use for my money during such "catastrophic economic times"? How can you say that, BEST CASE, doubling the national debt is a good plan to deal with deficit spending? How can you totally ignore the economists on both sides telling you that your estimates are way off and you will not come close to your goal, and that even if you were to hit your goal that that level of deficit is unsustainable? How can you say that slashing $100M in government spending is a serious attempt at accountability when you just increased the spending by trillions? How can you say that you don't want to run GM when your plan is for 90% ownership as well as operational control? How can you say you are working towards bipartisanship by completely shutting out the other party and steamrolling legislation without any input from the right? Then purchase a senator from the other party knowing that it would perhaps permanently set back any possibility of bipartisanship? How can you support the largest spending increase in the history of civilization without knowing what is in the bill, or allowing congress to read it first? How can you say you are decreasing taxes on 95% of Americans (by $13, temporarily) while drastically increasing taxes on our energy? And on our employers? Also on our cigarettes (which is a tax that is very slanted towards the poor). How can you say that you are a candidate against earmarks and you immediately sign a bill will $9B in earmarks? How can you say that campaign finance reform is necessary for the ethical reasons and pledge to use only public money and then accept more money from lobbyists than any candidate in history? How can you swear that you won't accept one dime from lobbyists and won't allow them in your administration, and again accept more money from them than anyone in history then immediately make 17 exceptions to your rule? How can you publicly claim to have by far the most thorough and ethical vetting process in history and have more appointments removed for ethics violations than any president in memory? How can you stand up and say we are looking forward and not engaging in witch hunts against the previous administration, and then a day later (after the extreme left, Leahy, told you to) announce that you are criminally investigating the previous administration? How can you pledge to have all of our troops out of Iraq in 16 months and then announce that you will keep 50,000 troops there without any timeline for their return? How can you be outraged by the bonus provisions in your own bill? How can you campaign across America about the absolute urgency of passing the spending bill, tell us that every hour we delay it we are losing thousands more jobs, use that as justification for not releasing it to either the public or the people responsible for reviewing and approving it until 11pm the night before a 7am vote, and then go on a three day vacation with it sitting on your desk unsigned?

I don't know how common that sort of sense is these days, I think that's where the kool-aid term comes from, but maybe you can explain to us why these things all make sense to you, and why you apparently can justify and agree with all of these concerns? My view is that he is a great speaker when the teleprompter is functioning propertly, he says what most people want to hear. We WANT to believe it, but that doesn't make it so. When he does something blatantly contradictory he is not held accountable. Instead we make excuses, we refer to vague references of hope, we change the subject, we attack the people that are using common sense to say "that doesn't sound right". We just want to close our eyes and let someone else solve all of these problems, let them do whatever they want, hell some of us will even sign a pledge promissing not to question what is going on! But common sense, and history, tells us it never works out that way.

If you want him to actually do what he says he will do, then stop covering it up when he doesn't! Don't be so complicit, this administration also happens to live by the poll numbers, they are paying very close attention to public opinion because they are trying so hard to control it. If approval rating actually went down when the president did not live up to his promisses, maybe it wouldn't happen with such frightening regularity?

Last edited: