A weekend in the eifel (Germany)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Trip to campsite
I know it’s a bit of a while ago now but a couple of weekends ago I went away for a bike trip organised by my work. For the Saturday there was a great route in the German Eifel planned. As always a transport van went with us to take the baggage (so we could travel light) pick up any breakdowns and to help with the catering etc.
It started on the Friday, everyone (aprox 45 people) could make their own way to the camp site in Heerlen (close to the German border in south east Holland). I travelled down with two colleagues/friends, one on an (ancient) Bol D’Or and one on a Honda Shadow. It was quite sunny and warm, very nice riding weather.
After taking the back roads from Alkmaar to Zaandam we took the highway via Amsterdam and Utrecht to Oss, here we visited a MotorBike store in Oss (VosOss) where we did a bit of window shopping.
A couple of days prior to this trip I had been in contact with Ton (Thulst) who was unfortunately working on the Friday, but he had been so kind as to write me a nice route that would take us from Oss (his hometown) down to Nederweert in the Limburg province before getting back on the highway.
Anyway whilst browsing around the bike shop (and drinking copious amounts of their coffee) a nice young lady came up to me and asked if we came from Alkmaar, at this moment my mind is racing thinking oh no what has happened at home (as my wife knew I would be stopping at this shop). Anyway it was a pleasant surprise to find out it was Ton’s wife who also has a passion for motorbike riding and was doing a bit of window shopping for herself.
Well after having a short chat it was time to hit the road, so we set off following Ton’s route, it was a great route through nice countryside. We stopped for lunch in a place called Gemert at a nice café where we could sit outside under parasols. Anyway after this we took the route further to Nederweert, and via the highway to the campsite in Heerlen, when we entered Limburg there was a distinct change in the weather, it became very cloudy and cool.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The campsite was “in den hof” in Heerlen, I can definitely recommend this campsite, it is totally geared up for the motorbike rider.
View attachment 4828
I stayed in the dormitory in the loft, there were lots of bunk beds (with hooks to hang your clothes) and you only had to provide your own sleeping bag and pillow (which had been taken down in the works van).
View attachment 4829
There was also a separate bikers campsite, which some people used.
View attachment 4831
There were good amenities (bathrooms, showers and most importantly the bar). In the bar there was a beer pump which ran through an (empty) motorbike engine casing, quite a piece of art.
View attachment 4830
They also had a couple of old bikes in the bar.

When we arrived at the campsite, we could pick up our baggage, grab a bed, get a shower and then at 19:00 hours we all had a very nice schnitzel chips and salad. Well after the meal we spent the rest of the night in the bar.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When we arrived at the campsite, we could pick up our baggage, grab a bed, get a shower and then at 19:00 hours we all had a very nice schnitzel chips and salad. Well after the meal we spent the rest of the night in the bar.

The next morning it was raining L but after having a full breakfast and donning the wet weather gear it was off to the Eifel J in one of the 4 groups.
Well we had to ride about an hour (via Aachen) to really get into the Eifel,

The route was great with lots of great twisties. Although it was pretty wet I was happy to see how well you can really corner in the wet, it really helped by keeping it nice and smooth.

At Lunchtime we stopped at a disused mine in Rescheid for lunch, the “support team” in the van had brought a full packed lunch for us all. We all took it in turns in taking the tour of the mine (we just swapped one helmet for another). The tour took a good hour and a quarter, they explained how bad things used to be in the mine (not my kinda place).
View attachment 4835

After we came out of the mine the sun was showing some vague attempt to be seen, well it was dry anyway. So I even dared to take off my waterproof leggings. Well the rest of the afternoon was really quite pleasant, it took a little while for things to dry up but then we could really hit the twisties :thumbup:.
We stopped for a short break sat outside a café , where a local choir was singing hymns on the corner of the road, quite surreal really.
Afterwards we headed back home obviously following the scenic route :thumbsup:
Our route had been test ridden by the organisers a couple of weekends previously and had to be altered as several of the roads in that area are forbidden for bikes in the weekend :(
When we got back to the campsite around 19:00 we could go straight through to the (gas) BBQ (after a shower), which was under a tarp on the back of a courtyard. This was (of course) followed by another night in the bar.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After having a big breakfast on the Sunday it was time to hit the road to head home, it started a grey and rather dismal day. I took a route together with one of my colleagues/friends via Roermond, following the river Maas all the way to Nijmegen. About 20 miles under Nijmegen the skys cleared up and we had glorious weather.
View attachment 4836
After stopping for lunch in Nijmegen we crossed the river and took a back road to Utrecht via a ferry crossing under Wijk bij Duurstede.
Close to Utrecht we hit the highways again, and rode the rest of the way home. I got home at aprox 16:00
I had a great weekend, but it was very tiring (this was not helped by the people snoring in the dormitory at night), and by 20:00 I was fast asleep on the couch.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I must say...I have been to Germany the past 2 summers to watch F1, the people are so nice, the German people don't get upset if u don't know German, and the country is so beautiful. Wish i could afford to go again this year but I bought an FZ6 :p