After washing Er_1 code and sputtering in my FZ6

foracco

Safe Rider - mostly ;-)
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,
I washed my FZ6:rolleyes: and it started sputtering the next day. Ran the diagnostics and it shows Er_1 (in diagnostic mode)as soon as I start the engine.:eek:
Video below
Yamaha FZ6 sputter - YouTube

Which connections can be causing this? I have checked the air filter and sparkplug connections and they look secure.
It has been 3 days and 2 rides of 50 miles each and it is not improving.
It also chokes at low RPM when I give high throttle. :eek:
Or when I try to accelerate suddenly in top gear (at around 4/5K RPM).

Help!!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have a miss that may be do to improper ECU output. This fail might be because there is cross talk at a connector that has salt contamination and so there are interfering signals to the ECU where it can not do the self check (ER-1) among other errors. When the harness plug is dry there will be little interference but when wet it causes the trouble. Check that all the plug wires are properly seated into the valve cover to insure water has not gotten down in the head around any spark plug. Additionally pull the front harness plugs rinse with cool water and then blow them completely dry with compressed air. Add dielectric grease and reassemble the plugs. The problem may dissipate in a few days as water dries but better to find and service these plugs and solve the issue now.

Good luck and let us know how it gets fixed. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Communication error with the meter
Er-1 - No signals are received from the ECU.

We've also seen that error when the battery lacks energy to complete the start cycle. The primary issue there is the ECM looses power while talking with the meter while the battery voltage plumets (engine cranking/starting).

The fact that it runs and misfires would have me looking at some of the vital connections. As mentioned, the high tension leads from the coils to the plugs, also the main connection into the ECM and the ECM to the meter.

So, thats three more places subject to inspection. As Cliff said, water by itself is inert and OK. But add some salt and this can bridge conductors causing errors.

Lift the tank and disconnect the battery. Clean and inspect the main connector into the ECM:
ECM is TOP Middle. Compress the clip and pull the harness away.
picture.php

With the inner fairing off, also inspect the connection up to the gauge cluster:
Connectors to gauge are here on the left inner fairing:
picture.php

Because the Misfire is under load, I suspect the main ECM connection around the coil output area. But you can inspect the coils while the tank is up:
picture.php

PS - MAF (Mass Air Flow) cleaner is pretty good stuff for cleaning too. It displaces debris and cleans. Plus it dries fast.

foracco

Safe Rider - mostly ;-)
Reaction score
Visit site
So I went ahead and cleaned up the ECM's main harness and the others that I could open. The coil junctions in my 2004 FZ6 seem to be snuck under the battery and in the conical shape up front. :(
You seem to be having more space there or have you taken your bike totally apart? :rockon:

Still the same error and sputter.

I kinda confirmed that it was error due to something ECM related when I was cleaning the harness. While putting it back, I may not have seated the female plug well and the bike didn't even start. One more push, click and it started right back up with same symptoms.

Anything else I can do before calling/going to the professionals?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I went ahead and cleaned up the ECM's main harness and the others that I could open. The coil junctions in my 2004 FZ6 seem to be snuck under the battery and in the conical shape up front. :(
You seem to be having more space there or have you taken your bike totally apart? :rockon:

Still the same error and sputter.

I kinda confirmed that it was error due to something ECM related when I was cleaning the harness. While putting it back, I may not have seated the female plug well and the bike didn't even start. One more push, click and it started right back up with same symptoms.

Anything else I can do before calling/going to the professionals?

Do you know where the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is? It's on the end of your throttle plate linkage on the outside of the throttle body assembly. Find the plug to it, open the plug. rinse with water and blow dry with compressed air. As suggested I would also suspect shorting at a boot in the spark plug well. Pull all the plug wires and blow out the wells. :)

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thread Hijack! Sorta.
Did you wash your bike at a car wash?
All the Car Washes in my area recycle the water.
And they usually don't clean out the tank where the dirt "settles" out until its so full of mud and junk the water can't flow anymore.
Nuts,bolts,antennas and chrome strips are just a few of the things I've found.
Along with a several cubic yards of dirt.
Oh and a Pistol once!.32 Auto.Pretty good shape,the Police were able to test fire to compare to a bullet from a murder,wasn't the gun.
I have cleaned out many and none of them would do it as preventive maintenance.
I'd tell them that I would do it once but if they wouldn't set it up for regular maintenance "Don't call me back".
When the water isn't changed-out often enough MINERALS can build up in the water.
Also fine particles of "silt" are left suspended in the water.
Sand-blasting your vehicle.
I never use a car wash.Word to the wise.
Rich

foracco

Safe Rider - mostly ;-)
Reaction score
Visit site
Problem persisting. Must be electrical short or something. Sigh!

Need to do better diagnostics. Wish my multimeter could help here.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Problem persisting. Must be electrical short or something. Sigh!

Need to do better diagnostics. Wish my multimeter could help here.

Assuming you have pulled the high tension spark plug connectors out of the motor and blown out the plug wells with compressed air to insure they are dry. as well as the other checks.

You can disconnect the negative lead on the battery and then pull the multiware plug on the ECU under the seat and check that there is no moisture in that plug assembly and that all the pins are clean and present.

If you pressure washed the bike you may have even blown a vacuum line loose. Take your time, relax and look.

If you haven't start the engine and let it come to full temperature. If it's a water issue it will likely dry the water.

foracco

Safe Rider - mostly ;-)
Reaction score
Visit site
Assuming you have pulled the high tension spark plug connectors out of the motor and blown out the plug wells with compressed air to insure they are dry. as well as the other checks.

You can disconnect the negative lead on the battery and then pull the multiware plug on the ECU under the seat and check that there is no moisture in that plug assembly and that all the pins are clean and present.

If you pressure washed the bike you may have even blown a vacuum line loose. Take your time, relax and look.

If you haven't start the engine and let it come to full temperature. If it's a water issue it will likely dry the water.

I have ridden the bike for two longer stretches. If it was due to water, I am pretty confident that it would have been taken care of by now. :confused:

I did use WD40 and compressed air for the junctions.

I did not pressure wash, well sort of. I used my garden hose but I did use the jet setting. I did not take the bike to a public wash.
Will check the vacuum lines. Are they the black tubes ending in a plug? I did see a couple, didn't know their function, guessed they were some sort of release valves or something.
No more jet setting for water for my bike. :-(

Last edited: