AGV Horizon vs Scorpion Exo-1100 ?

Hal Incandenza

Reaction score
Visit site
Getting ready to retire my old Shoei RF-1000, have got it narrowed down to the new AGV Horizon and the Scorpion Exo-1100 - was just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts/opinions about either of these lids?

(i think my head's pretty much round-ish oval, the Qwest, GPTech and RX-Q all fit me well but i'm looking for an internal sun visor... GT-Air's a bit out of my price range...)

Any advice much appreciated, thanks!

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had an exo 1100 nice with all the comforts but heavy not snell cert I dumped the bike in it bumped up to the qwest I'd really recommend an rf 1100 or qwest shoei makes a good product and the stand by it

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a exo 1000 and it has been my experience that it is very cheaply constructed. I originally purchased it because of its features (Speedview visor, composite construction, and low price) but immediately ran into problems. The first one I ran into was the cut outs for the ears. They are small and triangular and do not fit my somewhat large ears. This wasn't a problem until I wore the helmet for an hour or more; at that point it went from being a cool helmet to being a medieval torture machine. This problem was remedied by my buddy that makes custom interiors for high end business jets. He was able to reshape the liner to make room for my ears. Now fast forward twelve months to Bike week 2013. I am riding down I-95 right at sunrise heading for the races when I notice a rattle coming from the front of the helmet. I start poking around and find my chin vent's lower pivot is broken and flopping in the breeze. The only way it will stay quiet is to lock it open; it was quite cold Saturday morning. Pulling into the hotel after the race I took my helmet off and low and behold the plastic ring that runs around the bottom of the helmet next to the neckroll pops off on the LH side!:( . I stuck it together Sunday morning and headed back home to see if I could fix it. The first thing I wanted to do was to take out the interior to see what was going on, when I did about half of the little yellow female snaps that hold the liner in broke. F*** ME! at this point I have gone from mildly aggravated to P***ed! Let me take a minute to say that I take great care of all of my equipment, I have never dropped it and the worst place it has ever been stored is next to me in a tent; its usual place is on the top shelf in the hall closet. There has been no abuse. Until now. After I calm myself I proceed to field strip the helmet. The chin vent is cheap plastic so its no surprise that it failed. I pulled the lower trim strip back and found that it was only glued to the fiberglass with one small (1/4") tab and the rest was free to float. After I got the liner out of the helmet I found it was made up of a fiberglass shell with multiple sections of foam glued to the shell with little dabs of glue and would pull out with little effort. Overall I am appalled with the low quality of this helmet. AHHHHH I just when to the shop to photograph the problems I have with this lid and I found out my brow vent assembly is falling off. That's it I am rolling out tomorrow and finding an RF-1100!

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a exo 1100 and it has been my experience that it is very cheaply constructed. I originally purchased it because of its features (Speedview visor, composite construction, and low price) but immediately ran into problems. The first one I ran into was the cut outs for the ears. They are small and triangular and do not fit my somewhat large ears. This wasn't a problem until I wore the helmet for an hour or more; at that point it went from being a cool helmet to being a medieval torture machine. This problem was remedied by my buddy that makes custom interiors for high end business jets. He was able to reshape the liner to make room for my ears. Now fast forward twelve months to Bike week 2013. I am riding down I-95 right at sunrise heading for the races when I notice a rattle coming from the front of the helmet. I start poking around and find my chin vent's lower pivot is broken and flopping in the breeze. The only way it will stay quiet is to lock it open; it was quite cold Saturday morning. Pulling into the hotel after the race I took my helmet off and low and behold the plastic ring that runs around the bottom of the helmet next to the neckroll pops off on the LH side!:( . I stuck it together Sunday morning and headed back home to see if I could fix it. The first thing I wanted to do was to take out the interior to see what was going on, when I did about half of the little yellow female snaps that hold the liner in broke. F*** ME! at this point I have gone from mildly aggravated to P***ed! Let me take a minute to say that I take great care of all of my equipment, I have never dropped it and the worst place it has ever been stored is next to me in a tent; its usual place is on the top shelf in the hall closet. There has been no abuse. Until now. After I calm myself I proceed to field strip the helmet. The chin vent is cheap plastic so its no surprise that it failed. I pulled the lower trim strip back and found that it was only glued to the fiberglass with one small (1/4") tab and the rest was free to float. After I got the liner out of the helmet I found it was made up of a fiberglass shell with multiple sections of foam glued to the shell with little dabs of glue and would pull out with little effort. Overall I am appalled with the low quality of this helmet. AHHHHH I just when to the shop to photograph the problems I have with this lid and I found out my brow vent assembly is falling off. That's it I am rolling out tomorrow and finding an RF-1100!

That is an EXO 1000. I know because I have the exact same helmet in silver RPM trim. I would have to agree about the ear cutouts. Very uncomfortable after a few hours. I haven't had quality issues like you had so far. I did accidentally catch one of the top vents on my jacket and ripped it right out, but I don't think a Shoei or Arai vent would have survived that either.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
My 1000 isn't that bad off, but the trim around the lower edge pulled out shortly after I got it, and has never stayed put since. It's not the worst helmet, and I paid next to nothing for it, but it's definitely "cheap" in the negative sense.

They lost SNELL in the EXO-1100? Seems like a step backwards...

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
You are right it is a 1000, sorry about that, but I still will never get another Scorpion product. If I had abused the lid I would not be so hard on it but it has lived a good life.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They didn't lose snell they never applied for it , I think the fiber glass compound isn't tough enough, they did ECE it's a good cheap helmet I'd say its at the lvl of a Hjc if you value your brain pay an extra 100 bucks get a shoei or arai you won't regret

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same scorpion helmet and never again, i had the same problems with vents breaking and parts falling off, it also had a nice life but was not cut out for day in day out riding.

I now have a Arai viper gt and i love it, i wont buy anything but arai now. perfect fit for me and great quality. I suppose you get what you pay for

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
Run from the AGV Horizon!!
Unfortunately I buy one AGV Horizon and in two month it went three times to Italy to fix. Those sealing robber things (I don't know the name in English) was constantly breaking! Making horrible whistles... the helmet is very noisy, even comparing with a cheap CMS that I had.
Then they change the helmet by a new one and it happens again! The store reimburses me but the answer from AGV was: "We fix the helmet all the times it need, no returns."

The AGV Horizon sold in Portugal is made in China, I don's know if that applies in your Country or if it is an issue...

Hope you understand because my English isn't the better.

I ended up buying a schuberth C3.

Hal Incandenza

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far... sounds like some of you have had some pretty bad experiences with helmets! Would love to get a Schuberth but it's a little out of my price range just now.

As far as Snell goes, was just checking and even the Shoei GT-Air is DOT only. Guess added features like the internal sun visor add extra weight that precludes the possibility of Snell cert..?

Peter.C

Reaction score
Visit site
Why not a Shoei RF-1100. The new version of your old RF-1000. I have used the RF-1100 (XR-1100 where I live) for the last 3 years, and I love it.

Hal Incandenza

Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to do a fair amount of long distance touring so the idea of a built in sun visor really appeals to me.

The new Shoei GT-Air seems really nice, but I guess I'm also debating the cost issue... I can get the Exo-1100 for half the price, and as far as I can make out most of the negative comments with Scorpion relate to their older models. My understanding is that the Exo-1100 build quality is actually pretty good (in contrast to the exo-1000) and is about four ounces lighter than the Exo-1000, putting it right in the same range as the Qwest but with more features.

Then again, the RF-1000 was my first and only helmet so I don't have much to compare it to in terms of longterm experience...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My understanding is that the Exo-1100 build quality is actually pretty good (in contrast to the exo-1000) and is about four ounces lighter than the Exo-1000, putting it right in the same range as the Qwest but with more features.
That's good to hear. I'm about ready to replace my EXO-1000, the only issue I've had with it was the snaps for the liner, I've had a couple of them pull loose also. I was going to call the company and see if they've addressed that issue before springing for the 1100 (the built-in visor is now a must-have feature for me, too).