Need Lid Suggestions

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, I'm currently rocking a Bilt Cyclone which has been a decent budget helmet, but am looking to upgrade.

Have my mind on two different helmets. Thinking of either the Shoei Qwest ($215), or the Scorpion EXO-1100 ($194). I like the internal sun-shield on my Bilt and think I would like to have it again on my new helmet. However, from everything I've read, Shoei just makes a better helmet and the interior fabric will be much more comfortable as well as the overall weight being lighter.

Anyone with any insight? TIA.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OGK FF-5 - webBikeWorld Use one , love one & can't recommend one highly enough !! :thumbup:

OGK-Scream-Blue.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have two Scorpions (both EXO 700) and one Shoei (RF 1100).

Scorpions are perfectly good and in terms of protection, all of the above are DOT/SNELL rated (not sure about the specific models you mentioned, so be sure to check), but when it comes to quality and comfort, Scorpion can't hold a candle to Shoei.

Granted RF is 2.5 times more expensive than EXO 700, but what a difference! Significantly lighter, nicer lining material, no whistling (quieter over all) and ventilation actually works (it's pretty much decorative on Scorpion... I take that back.. it controls the noise level! The more you open vents the noisier it gets, with no significant change in air flow).

Try to read some reviews before you buy. Make sure it fits you well.. just because I find something very comfortable, doesn't mean it'll be right for you.

jdoorn14

Reaction score
Visit site
I can vouch for the Shoei Qwest being a very comfortable helmet. IMHO, if you are a lucky size to get one for only $215 (I'm assuming motorcyclegear.com?), I'd say it's worth the extra $20 over the Scorpion you also noted.

Noise-wise, I notice a small difference depending on how I tilt my head up/down as I ride. However, as the vents are opened/closed, there is a distinct difference in air flow with a minor increase in wind noise.

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
OGK FF-5 - webBikeWorld Use one , love one & can't recommend one highly enough !! :thumbup:

That's a great looking helmet! Problem is, I don't want to spend that much right now. I'll probably go with the Qwest as based on all the reviews (which I've read a ton of), it seems to be a great helmet with good comfort. I sure am going to miss the flip down sun visor though. Guess I'll hang on to my Bilt for sunny day riding although I may not be able to stand it after having gotten used to the Qwest.

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO, if you are a lucky size to get one for only $215 (I'm assuming motorcyclegear.com?), I'd say it's worth the extra $20 over the Scorpion you also noted.

Yep. I have a large melon (XXL) so I'm in luck! I just hope they're not knock off's or some sort of scratch and dent as Motorcyclegear is selling them for about 1/2 of what they are everywhere else and I've never bought from them before so I don't know their rep.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. I have a large melon (XXL) so I'm in luck! I just hope they're not knock off's or some sort of scratch and dent as Motorcyclegear is selling them for about 1/2 of what they are everywhere else and I've never bought from them before so I don't know their rep.

Wow.. 2XL? Do yourself a favor and pick up one of the RF 1100 here! They have few colors for $279 in 2XL. A bit more than what you planned to spend, but WELL worth it!!

Motorcycle Street Helmets, Street Motorcycle Helmets, Full Face, Modular, Shorty - Compacc.com

That's a ridiculously good price.. 50% off MSRP.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh and as for flip down sun shade.. it's definitely a nice feature, but you can get a dark shield (super easy to change on Shoei) or you can go with the tinted strip at the top of clear shield.

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
I own two scorpions, and while I liked both of them at first......they just sit around as spares or pillion helmets. If I were going to buy a shoei today, I'd buy the rf-1100 over the qwest even at a higher price. I'd still pick the Bell RS-1 over the rf-1100 but it'd be a close call.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive had two Shoei RF1000s. An HJC, a Scorpian EXO something or other and currently I'm riding with a Shoei GT Air.

HJC was my first lid. It was a good helmet, I tested it by flying through the air 15 feet or so and landing on my head. Didn't feel the impact. First though on landing was "This helmet rocks!" But it really didn't fit my head well and I couldn't ride more than 2 hours or so without getting a head ache.

The RF1000s fit my head like they were custom made. Light and comfortable. Love those helmets. No flaws that I ever found.

The Scorp fit my head much the same as the HJC did. I picked it up on clearance for @ $100 because it has the internal sun visor that slides back into the helmet. I've worn it maybe a dozen times then went back to the RF1000s. It just didn't fit well and was uncomfortable. Beyond fit, I didn't like the liner transition around the forehead area. There was a seam and the fabric changed to a rougher fabric that would rub my forehead. I also didn't care for the way the main shield attached. It is kind of heavy for a modern helmet as well.

The GT Air is Shoei's first full face helmet w/ an internal sun shield. It fits well but not quite the 'custom built' fit I got from the RF1000s (I have not tried an RF1100 on for size). It is also slightly heavier than the RF1000 but not to the point that you notice. I really enjoy this helmet. The sun visor is darker and more effective than the scorpion's and the action of the lowering mechanism is smooth and easy to operate while riding. Air flow is very good. The main shield / visor is equipped with the PinLock system. I rode the entire month of April because my car was down. It was in the low 40*F / high 30*F and often raining. Riding with the PinLock shield installed and the shield down, it never fogged up. Very impressive. The PL shield distorts vision a smidge so I took it out once the weather improved. I like a clear view.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, I'm currently rocking a Bilt Cyclone which has been a decent budget helmet, but am looking to upgrade.

Have my mind on two different helmets. Thinking of either the Shoei Qwest ($215), or the Scorpion EXO-1100 ($194). I like the internal sun-shield on my Bilt and think I would like to have it again on my new helmet. However, from everything I've read, Shoei just makes a better helmet and the interior fabric will be much more comfortable as well as the overall weight being lighter.

Anyone with any insight? TIA.

the internal sunshield thing is ok, my scorpion has it. but a good quality helmet is so much better than having a gimmicky "feature" built in. Really it comes down to fit more than anything. when you put a helmet on, see how much it moves side-side & how far you can tilt it forward when on your head.

- it should feel very snug, but not overly tight
- it should NOT move side-side while on your head
- you should NOT be able to tilt it so far forward that the brow of the helmet comes down to the bridge of your nose

i would figure out the max you are willing to spend on a helmet and try on everything possible in your price range. take your time, wear each helmet for 10-15 minutes if it meets the criteria listed above. if it doesnt its not worth your time or money.

Shoei does make a much higher quality helmet than Scorpion, but if it doesnt fit, it doesnt make a bit of difference.

if the qwest doesnt fit, try the RF1100, its a slightly different shape

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I have two Scorpions (both EXO 700) and one Shoei (RF 1100).

Scorpions are perfectly good and in terms of protection, all of the above are DOT/SNELL rated (not sure about the specific models you mentioned, so be sure to check), but when it comes to quality and comfort, Scorpion can't hold a candle to Shoei.

Granted RF is 2.5 times more expensive than EXO 700, but what a difference! Significantly lighter, nicer lining material, no whistling (quieter over all) and ventilation actually works (it's pretty much decorative on Scorpion... I take that back.. it controls the noise level! The more you open vents the noisier it gets, with no significant change in air flow).

Try to read some reviews before you buy. Make sure it fits you well.. just because I find something very comfortable, doesn't mean it'll be right for you.

The RF-1100 also appeals to me (over the Qwest, for example) for its fully removable lining for cleaning. Was no fun trying to remove the funk from my current helmet after a number of sweaty rides last summer.

Lots of great sales on Shoei at the major online stores (compacc, revzilla, motorcyclegear, helmetcity, etc.) Especially in discontinued graphics and less popular sizes.

Don't forget a pinlock visor and insert to keep the fog away. I like the new, fully tinted system for the current Shoei lineup:

Shoei CW-1 Pinlock Faceshield - RevZilla

A blue RF-1100 Chroma is probably in my near future to replace my five+ year-old sweaty, low-viz black, Shoei TZ-R.

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
For my money, the Bell RS-1 is a great helmet.

Looks decent in the Air Trix design too, not a fan of most of the helmet graphics out there

7000331b-2.jpg

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shoei RF1100 is an awesome helmet, I got one at Cycle Gear for $199 early spring. I normally wear an XL and hate it and they only had a L size left, I decided to buy it and switched the inner linner for the thinnest one available. This made a HUGE difference, no more pressure points and I can ride for hours without issues. I was looking at the Qwest as well but the RF is better. Bought a auto tinting insert so no need for internal sunshade which adds weight and no need for extra shields.

Ares

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice and help fellas. I ended up going with the Qwest in Etheral TC2 color (pic below). While I would have liked a RF1100, the budget (wife) just wouldn't allow it at this point as the best price I could find was about $350 and the Qwest was just $215.

Here it is in blue. Should look pretty good with my blue Fz6 and blue mesh jacket. I also like all the white in it for visibility reasons.

2011-Shoei-Qwest-Ethereal-Helmet.jpg

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Good looking lid. Looks to have the same venting system or a similar venting system to my GT Air. Works well.