Any DSLR users out there?

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all you fellow DSLR users! I just joined the DSLR world!
I recently picked up a Pentax K-X (not a bad camera at all for the price tag!)
added a few lens' on some great xmas deals, now I just need to get a nice warm(er) day to practice!

The new set up includes:
White K-x 12.MP
Tamron 10mm-24mm F3.5-4.5
Tamron 28-80mm F3.5-5.6
Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6
Pentax 18-55 F4-5.6

Here are a few pics.

So what does everyone have?? Any suggestions for a new guy? i got a nice cleaning kit and a nice bag... any other suggestions? i have a cheapo tripod. so that will probably be updated shortly...

Post up some of you nice DSLR shots!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Nikon D90, with a Nikn DX Lens, 18mm-70mm. Nice camera, still getting to grips with everything, as it is lights year better, and more feature packed than my previous Nikon.

I just find it is best to use the base manufacturer settings as much as possible, and then only tweak things when i am feeling creative...i do like to play with the depth of field a bit though...love that effect, when you really bring something up out of a photo...

:thumbup:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love them. They are very inexpensive, yet still great lenses. The 10-24 was obviously the more expensive one, and i still got that for $470.. with an additional $100 rebate that brought it down to $370... the 70-300 and 28-80 were a set, both for $210... so for $580 i got 3 really nice lenses.

They all got about 8 or 9 ratings... They could be better with higher F stops. but not for the same price tag! lol

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
I have been messing around with a Canon 1000d for abt 2 years now..and I have the same Tamron 70-300mm lense (along with the kit lens and a Canon 50mm f1.8 prime). You seem to have the basics covered... but id like to recommend a gorillapod, a cable/remote release and a decent flash (i use the 430ex II)... all depends on what interests you...

Some of my better images:

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_8563.JPG

More at Picasa Web Albums - Ahmad Jamal

Keep posting pics!!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never seen a white SLR before...

I have a Canon 350D with a Sigma 18-200 lens. I used it for ages on P mode until a chance meeting with a pro photographer at a convention and a 5 minute crash course in manual photography changed everything.

I take it with me everywhere as I have a Lowepro Compuday backpack that takes my laptop and has a dedicated protective camera compartment.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Hey all you fellow DSLR users! I just joined the DSLR world!
I recently picked up a Pentax K-X (not a bad camera at all for the price tag!)
added a few lens' on some great xmas deals, now I just need to get a nice warm(er) day to practice!

The new set up includes:
White K-x 12.MP
Tamron 10mm-24mm F3.5-4.5
Tamron 28-80mm F3.5-5.6
Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6
Pentax 18-55 F4-5.6

Here are a few pics.

So what does everyone have?? Any suggestions for a new guy? i got a nice cleaning kit and a nice bag... any other suggestions? i have a cheapo tripod. so that will probably be updated shortly...

Post up some of you nice DSLR shots!

We have had the same camera since last Christmas and LOVE IT! It is so user friendly, and takes magnificent pictures. Love the white, too, everyone comments that they've never seen a white DSLR. We got a Pentax 50-200 lens as well. My wife wants a 2000mm lens... YIPE!

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those Pentax cameras sure come in some funky colors:BLAA:. I just upgraded from Canon 30D to 7D and just cannot describe how happy i am! I've been with Canon EOS digital cameras since the original digital rebel and love 'em.

I currently have EF-S 18-135 IS, EF 28-135 IS, EF 50mm f1.4, EF 50mm f1.8 II. I was able to get a couple of friends into this and we all have canons so i also have 10-22, and a couple of macros at my disposal.
I got 580 EX with pocketwizards (even though now 7D can control flashes via IR) I tend to gravitate toward portraits, so i have some studio stuff too

Recommendations would depend on what you are looking to do
I would recommend investing into a good tripod, especially if you are into outdoors photography. if you are more into studio work - flashes and pocketwizards (remote triggers). good primes are a must for portraits, imho

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Pentax, I think the build quality is great on their cameras.

I have the Pentax K200D with 18-55 and 50-200 lenses and several older k-mount film lenses, really a nice camera and I've only scratched the surface on what it can do.

I usually try to shoot in aperature mode, unless I know I'm trying to catch something fast.

I've recently added a Pentax af360fgz external flash which has quite a bit more power than the built-in speedlight...not sure what you have for a flash but good lighting sources would be something important to consider if you are lookign for more goodies.

Of course a photo editing package is a must too :) I use paintshop pro photo X2, inexpensive yet offers a lot of features, is easy to use, and supports RAW. I think there is a X3 version out now.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input! I ended up purchasing a remote for it about 2 weeks ago. I came across a guy who was selling his whole pentax lot and ended up selling the wireless remote for $12! I was all over it. The funny thing is, the remote is about the size of the memory card, so I should have bought a few for when i lose them lol.
I dont know how many of you read my other post. but my intention is to start shooting some nice car/bike pics. Maybe start up a little business taking pictures of car clubs and such. Nothing too serious, just for fun and a little side money. Any suggestions on some quality items for that? as i said i have a junko tripod, and a nice monopod. and i think my next lens will be in the 1.4 1.7 area, just so i can do some action shots if need be... not sure if i want to go prime, or like a 24-55 or something...

Any suggestions?

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm rocking a Nikon D-5000 w/ Nikkor 10-24, 18-55vr, 35/1.8, 55-200vr and an old 70-300 manual. Also have a SB-400 flash (haven't needed more powerful yet), an IR remote, polarizing filter, and a sling bag so I can carry almost everything on my back on the bike. I bought everything gradually while I was in Iraq. BTW, high value property insurance is a good idea for all your gear. I'm paying $3/month for it, and it even covers cleaning if you get caught in a sandstorm. (Which I did to the 55-200 before I knew this insurance existed)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here's the bag. Those straps on the outside are for holding a tripod.
caselogicSLRSling.png

Last edited:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the bag i picked up. It seems nice, its a xmas gift so i wont be able to test it out until after. Hopefully it fits everything I would be using. :eek: it looks a little smaller in person... lol
41Ie9OwXaIL.jpg

51xQuZ%2BRwrL.jpg

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the purchase! For action shots I would suggest something a little longer than 24-55, you'll be standing a bit further back.

I have a Nikon D200, and the following lenses (all Nikkor except the first):
Tokina 12-24 f2.8-4
24-85 f2.8-4
80-200 f2.8
300 f4
105 f2.8 Macro
Gitzo tripod, Arca-Swiss Ballhead, Really Right Stuff quick releases on everything. Lotsa other toys.

I'm saving up for the Nikkor 400 f2.8, only made possible by the fact that my mortgage will be paid off in a couple months! :rockon:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the purchase! For action shots I would suggest something a little longer than 24-55, you'll be standing a bit further back.

I have a Nikon D200, and the following lenses (all Nikkor except the first):
Tokina 12-24 f2.8-4
24-85 f2.8-4
80-200 f2.8
300 f4
105 f2.8 Macro
Gitzo tripod, Arca-Swiss Ballhead, Really Right Stuff quick releases on everything. Lotsa other toys.

I'm saving up for the Nikkor 400 f2.8, only made possible by the fact that my mortgage will be paid off in a couple months! :rockon:

Cool, i would love to get a nice ranged (24-85 f2.8-4 for example) but i cant seem to find one on the cheap. I usually buy new lenses when i see a good sale and i have not come across one recently. Whats your best lens for like motorcycle action shots? maybe the 80-200 2.8?

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you're doing action shots, try switching to manual focus and prefocusing on the area that you know the subject is going through. Then you can pop off shots with less lost from waiting for the autofocus. Most cameras also have a rapid fire shutter mode so you can just hold the button down to take several shots.

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
I am part of the Pentax club :) I have a K-5 with 18-55mm Sigma 3.5-5.6 and 70mm-300mm Sigma 4.5-5.6. Still waiting on the Pentax 18-135mm lens though :/ They reckon before xmas but I doubt it :(

Still coming to grips with it, it has sooooo many functions !!