Any feedback, good experience about Shorai Shorai LFX18A1-BS12?

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Any good feedback about using Lithium Battery Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 or Shorai LFX14L2-BS12?

I had bad experience that LFX14L2 was dead on mine when the second day rode to work (I had to push it on tramp in order to manually start it..). However I found out that my bike's idle was too low 1200-1300RPM (I adjusted it that low before putting in the lithium battery) v.s book said it must be around 1450-1500RPM so it starts charging the battery (measured its voltage out when 1450-1500RPM 13.3-13.5v)...so it could be the reason the battery was dead, out of breath!

I don't think it's the only reason Shorai battery's dead on mine as when I called Shorai to return the battery and explained them what was happened (without knowing that my idle was below the required charging RPM). Shorai technician in fact was a little skeptical about the LFX14L2 so he was nice, supportive enough to replace me the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 (said this LFX14L2 battery might have been strong enough for your Yamaha FZ6) the stronger and more expensive one!. But it was after I installed the new Yuasa maint-free Lead-Acid battery (almost a year).

The new Shorai Shorai LFX18A1-BS12's been sitting on my garage shelf for like 12 months now (as it's brand new in box). I'm thinking giving it a second chance...Has anyone been using Shorai and/or Lithium batteries here a while? Please let me know how you like it and how reliable, strong it is after you've been using like months, years..?

Any input will be appreciated!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci had an issue with a Shorai but I don't remember the final outcome. I remember Shorai telling him they should have listed a larger capacity battery for his bike. [MENTION=7496]Erci[/MENTION]

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I got from the Shorai guy, he told me that the LFX14L2 should not have listed for FZ6 cuz it's little weak for that kind of bike. That was why he replaced mine with LFX18A1 battery..

I saw on youtube that one guy used LFX18A1 to start the car, and it actually did it LOL ...

I've been thinking to go back to Lithium due to the weight saving..it will cost additional $76 for the balancing charger...but compare the cost, none can beat Yuasa maint-free lead acid battery, it stays strong and last years and only $65 shipped! (that's right, the lithium battery is required to be balance-charging as if anyone here is in RC helicopter ,,always use balance charger for charging Lipo, Lithium batteries. Regular tender charger is only for Lead-acid battery)

Well, thinking about pushing it on fleebay now...it's brand new and perhaps I can sell it the same price LFX14...maybe maybe 4lbs saving is not that worth to risk of calling AAA to jump/carry home when in middle of the road!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, as Cliff mentioned I *thought* I had an issue with mine and Shorai definitely does not recommend 14 for my bike anymore (FZ1).

Having said that, I've had mine for over 2 years now. It never fully failed. I've had slow cranking few times, but that's due to the nature of this battery. As they explain, you have to spike it.. plug in whatever electrical stuff you've got and let if sit for a bit. This way mine starts right up.
I also had possible connector corrosion. After cleaning things up, no issues so far.
I'm happy with the battery and very happy with customer service. I'm staying with Shorai.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, as Cliff mentioned I *thought* I had an issue with mine and Shorai definitely does not recommend 14 for my bike anymore (FZ1).

Having said that, I've had mine for over 2 years now. It never fully failed. I've had slow cranking few times, but that's due to the nature of this battery. As they explain, you have to spike it.. plug in whatever electrical stuff you've got and let if sit for a bit. This way mine starts right up.
I also had possible connector corrosion. After cleaning things up, no issues so far.
I'm happy with the battery and very happy with customer service. I'm staying with Shorai.

Thanks Erci...any improvement on the signal lights (mine are all original), will they all be brighter? I saw that when I blink one side on the front (since it's dual filament) , another side seems to get dimmer while the other side is blinking..do you notice that might have changed when you have Shorai?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had led signals since day 1 so no comment on that issue.
I can tell you that I run heated jacket and heated gloves and gps.. all good. Bit I think that's more because FZ1 puts out a lot more juice.